OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bino question, variable binos?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bino question, variable binos?
    Posted: February/09/2011 at 19:21
I don't know much about binoculars so I'll ask.

Why doesn't there seem to be good quality variable power binoculars out there like there are good quality variable power scopes?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 19:39

Mostly because to design a variable binocular you have to give up most of the field of view compared to a fixed magnification binocular. Additionally it's inherently difficult to make a solid point of attachment for the lenses as they move through the range. This is a very fragile arrangement and typically a zoom won't last long because of it.

It is different with either the Leica Duovid or the Leupold Switch power. These have justice two power settings and you can feel the mechanism lock as you switch magnification. These are the way to go but the Leupold is around $1,000 and the Leica in the neighborhood of$2,500.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2011 at 20:49
Also, if you are talking about zoom binos rather than "dual power" (where it's either set on one power or another, but not in between), it's difficult if not impossible to get the zoom assemblies in both barrels in perfect synchronization (collimation).  If one is even slightly out of synch with the other, image quality is horrible and you see it immediately because you are using both eyes and your brain is trying to combine the information from both eyes into a single image view.  Variable binos have much narrower FOV than a fixed power bino at the same magnification.  They are never as good optically as a fixed power or even dual power binos of the same relative quality.  They are also much more fragile than standard fixed power binos.

This is why very few manufacturers make zoom binoculars.

Avoid variable zoom binos like the plague.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 10:16
Originally posted by feklar feklar wrote:

I don't know much about binoculars so I'll ask.

Why doesn't there seem to be good quality variable power binoculars out there like there are good quality variable power scopes?

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/nozooms.htm

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/10/2011 at 10:22
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 11:21
I might add that with a rifle scope there are some things to keep in mind.  First is that there is only a single tube to keep lined up in the first place.  Second a scope has to be built a lot tougher than a binocular or spotter because it is subject to fairly intense recoil forces, and as such is capable of shrugging off bumps that would destroy a zoom binocular.  Next the rifle scope is a totally different system design than a binocular or a spotter as it does not have heavy prisms to contend with so the optical system is simplified somewhat, as there are no 90* bends of light in a scope.  The light paths and lens arrangement are straight line.  It is pretty easy to see that variable scopes work, as that option represents most of the rifle scopes sold.

Edited by Klamath - February/10/2011 at 11:24
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 14:54

I thought he was referring to spotting scopes.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 15:48

Good point. My response was based mainly on the massive overall sheer numbers of posts on forums with hunters about the apparent definition of Scopes as being the gunsght variety. Spotters seem to be referred to as spotters. I may well have taken a wrong turn there. Maybe the OP will chime in with his take.

Unless his real initials are RC and we've been had with another zoom binoculars thread. Until that proves out, I'll leave it be.

Steve

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 16:29
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Unless his real initials are RC and we've been had with another zoom binoculars thread. Until that proves out, I'll leave it be.
I looked up feklar and here's what I found:
The klingon word for the devil.Devil
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 16:35
Well, I'm a Star Trek fan myself (I do come up short of being a full fledged Trekkie however) and I remembered Feklar as a Klingon name, but did not remember it that specifically.  Kind of catchy in a Klingon sort of way Big Smile.
Steve

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 18:41
I liked the Star Trek series, as well as Deep Space Nine, 'without' the Klingons; (Picard, Data, Janeway, Seven of Nine, Sisko, etc.)
Klingons were too boring for me.
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 18:55
Thanks for the answers guys, makes sense to me.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 21:23

Thanks for the answers guys, makes sense to me.

You're welcome.   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic