OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optic for AR10 Carbine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53vortec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optic for AR10 Carbine?
    Posted: December/20/2005 at 10:24
I am trying to select an optic for my AR10 carbine, used as an "all around" defensive rifle, from ranges of CQB to 500 yards. I currently have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 mounted on it, but I don't feel that this scope is ideal for close in work.

I have been looking at the ACOG TA11E. I have limited experiance with the ACOGs, I've only messed with (but not fired) a TA31 on an M16A4.

The only downside I see to the ACOG is lack of high magnification and the cost. (It's another gun, or 1/2 to an LRB!) Should I take the plunge on the ACOG? Stick with the Zeiss? Consider another option?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
53Vortec
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2005 at 13:31

Welcome.

Did you see the excellent post by Mithran at the top of this forum? Good, good info on the ACOG, from a guy that has used it in diverse conditions.

Best wishes.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2005 at 21:52
Why do you need high magnification for 500 yards.  500 can easily be done with irons unless your eyes are bad.  The M16A4 with the TA31F will do 800 meters with no problem.  Take the ACOG plunge and you will never go back.

Edited by Mithran
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2005 at 22:50
ACOG
smity25ca View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smity25ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2006 at 14:56
I use a Elcan C79 on my Diemaco C-7 it's a bomb proof scope and it has small post sight
on the top, good for center of mass man size targets out to 50 meters or so. It has 0.25
mil detent zeroing adjustments, >200 to 800 meter range selector calibrated for 223. or
308. 3.4x magnification an 8 degree field of view (43' @ 100 meters) length is 6.2" width is
2.2" hight is 2.8" and it weighs 640 grams. It has Tritium paint on the tip of the post that
helps in low light conditions and target range indicator lines in mil spacing. It's quite good
at 300 meters which is the distance I usualy shoot but I have had center of mass shots
out to 600 meters and that's as far as I have used it. I hope this gives you another option
to think about.
Speed is Fine Accuracy is Finnal (Wyatt Earp)

Ian J. Smith (Cpl)
Camp Borden
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic