OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New to long range shooting.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC_Army_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 15:30
Originally posted by Reegan Reegan wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. Very new to higher powered scopes. The variable scope would be nice, but it is really just out of my budget. For now, shooting paper, a fixed will probably work. I am used to fixed optics also.. I have used a 4x on semi-autos... This will be the first scope that i will be using MOA clicks though. Also, I like to use a reloader, will reloaded cartridges have any affect 100 yards and out? Sorry for any stupid questions.

Reegan,

A fixed power scope will work well for your mil adjustments on your scope.  Once you get into variable power scopes, unless you are using a first focal plane (FFP) retical, the mil adjustments will change based on the variable power setting and are only true at one setting (usually 10x or max power, depending on brand).  And most FFP scopes are fairly expensive.  I use a second focal plane (SFP) Bushnell Tactical Elite 2.5-16x42 on my Remington .308 and it works impressively!  I bought it on www.swfa.com, but it may be a little out of your price range, but is worth it.

Also, with reloading there are a lot of variable put into play (powder type, powder ammount, bullet coefficient, bullet weight, etc.)  I would recommend doing a lot of research into the caliber.  Everyone one here is correct is stating the .308 is easy for reloading, lots of brass available and a large selection of bullets.  If you're not familiar with it, I would recommend using a ballistics calculator to "get close" on your targeting.  Also, this will give you the MOA adjustments needed at various ranges based on your zero range.  100yds might be a little close to zero for 600yd shooting.  I would recommend a 300yd zero....

Which goes on to the next point.  Whichever scope you choose has to have enough elevation change built in to adjust for 600yds based on your zero range.  If a scope only has 50 MOA of adjustment and you need 65 to reach 600yds, you'll have to re-zero the rifle at a farther range (since bullets travel in a parabolic curve).  The use of the ballistics calculator can also help ensure the scope you choose has enough adjustments based on the zero range you choose (it will list the adjustments needed out to as far as you input).

And now to the next point.  You'll want to find a scope that "tracks" well.  Which means, you can adjust your MOA to reach a desired range, then crank it back down to zero and it won't "lose its zero".  Some of the lower priced scopes have a problem with tracking, which will frustrate the hell out of you on the range.  Once you've established a good zero, let's say at 100yds, and want to shoot 300yds, you can adjust the elevation on your scope to the recommended MOA (based on the ballistics calculator).  You can then shoot the SAME 100YD TARGET and measure this distance between shot groups.  This should correspond to the distance given on the ballistics calculator as the height at 100yds of a 300yd zero.  You can then crank it back down to the 100yd zero point you used previously and shoot the same target again.  It should give you the same elevation shot group you shot the first time.  (All of this assumes the same loads for each shot). 

Here's a link to a ballistics calculator I use:  http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Hopefully this helps some.

Rick
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 15:55
Originally posted by NC_Army_Guy NC_Army_Guy wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. Very new to higher powered scopes. The variable scope would be nice, but it is really just out of my budget. For now, shooting paper, a fixed will probably work. I am used to fixed optics also.. I have used a 4x on semi-autos... This will be the first scope that i will be using MOA clicks though. Also, I like to use a reloader, will reloaded cartridges have any affect 100 yards and out? Sorry for any stupid questions.

Reegan,

A fixed power scope will work well for your mil adjustments on your scope.  Once you get into variable power scopes, unless you are using a first focal plane (FFP) retical, the mil adjustments will change based on the variable power setting and are only true at one setting (usually 10x or max power, depending on brand).  And most FFP scopes are fairly expensive.  I use a second focal plane (SFP) Bushnell Tactical Elite 2.5-16x42 on my Remington .308 and it works impressively!  I bought it on www.swfa.com, but it may be a little out of your price range, but is worth it.

Also, with reloading there are a lot of variable put into play (powder type, powder ammount, bullet coefficient, bullet weight, etc.)  I would recommend doing a lot of research into the caliber.  Everyone one here is correct is stating the .308 is easy for reloading, lots of brass available and a large selection of bullets.  If you're not familiar with it, I would recommend using a ballistics calculator to "get close" on your targeting.  Also, this will give you the MOA adjustments needed at various ranges based on your zero range.  100yds might be a little close to zero for 600yd shooting.  I would recommend a 300yd zero....

Which goes on to the next point.  Whichever scope you choose has to have enough elevation change built in to adjust for 600yds based on your zero range.  If a scope only has 50 MOA of adjustment and you need 65 to reach 600yds, you'll have to re-zero the rifle at a farther range (since bullets travel in a parabolic curve).  The use of the ballistics calculator can also help ensure the scope you choose has enough adjustments based on the zero range you choose (it will list the adjustments needed out to as far as you input).

And now to the next point.  You'll want to find a scope that "tracks" well.  Which means, you can adjust your MOA to reach a desired range, then crank it back down to zero and it won't "lose its zero".  Some of the lower priced scopes have a problem with tracking, which will frustrate the hell out of you on the range.  Once you've established a good zero, let's say at 100yds, and want to shoot 300yds, you can adjust the elevation on your scope to the recommended MOA (based on the ballistics calculator).  You can then shoot the SAME 100YD TARGET and measure this distance between shot groups.  This should correspond to the distance given on the ballistics calculator as the height at 100yds of a 300yd zero.  You can then crank it back down to the 100yd zero point you used previously and shoot the same target again.  It should give you the same elevation shot group you shot the first time.  (All of this assumes the same loads for each shot). 

Here's a link to a ballistics calculator I use:  http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Rick

Did I miss read this. If the scope does not have enough adjustment to reach 600 yards then it does not matter if it was zeroed at 100 or any range it will not get you to 600 unless you are doing holdovers. Without a canted base. or some other means of changing the position of the scope on the rifle.

Edited by 308 Sav - March/11/2011 at 15:58
Gerald Baker
NC_Army_Guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC_Army_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 16:21
Originally posted by 308 Sav 308 Sav wrote:

Originally posted by NC_Army_Guy NC_Army_Guy wrote:

Reegan,

Rick

Did I miss read this. If the scope does not have enough adjustment to reach 600 yards then it does not matter if it was zeroed at 100 or any range it will not get you to 600 unless you are doing holdovers. Without a canted base. or some other means of changing the position of the scope on the rifle.

Gerald,

Here's a chart for a .308 165gr bullet (all input was made up off the top of my head) at a 100 yrd zero.

Trajectory
Input Data
Manufacturer: Barnes Description: X Boattail
Caliber: 0.308 in Weight: 165.0 gr
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.505 G1
Muzzle Velocity: 2800.0 ft/s Distance to Chronograph: 10.0 ft
Sight Height: 1.50 in Sight Offset: 0.00 in
Zero Height: 0.00 in Zero Offset: 0.00 in
Windage: 0.000 MOA Elevation: 0.000 MOA
Line Of Sight Angle: 0.0 deg Cant Angle: 0.0 deg
Wind Speed: 10.0 mph Wind Angle: 90.0 deg
Target Speed: 0.0 mph Target Angle: 90.0 deg
Target Height: 12.0 in
Temperature: 59.0 °F Pressure: 29.92 in Hg
Humidity: 0.0 % Altitude: 0.0 ft
Vital Zone Radius: 5.0 in
Std. Atmosphere at Altitude: No Pressure is Corrected: Yes
Zero at Max. Point Blank Range: No Target Relative Drops: Yes
Mark Sound Barrier Crossing: No Include Extra Rows: No
Column 1 Units: 1.00 in Column 2 Units: 1.00 MOA
Round Output to Whole Numbers: No
Output Data
Elevation: 3.637 MOA Windage: 0.000 MOA
Atmospheric Density: 0.07647 lb/ft³ Speed of Sound: 1116.4 ft/s
Maximum PBR: 342 yd Maximum PBR Zero: 290 yd
Range of Maximum Height:
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 17:51
Welcome to The OT, Rick! 

You in Fayette-nam?  Wink
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC_Army_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:29
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to The OT, Rick! 

You in Fayette-nam?  Wink
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC_Army_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:30
Thanks Cheaptrick,

No, just am from NC originally.  I'd rather put that as my location than my current duty assignment in FL! 

11 years down so far and only 9 to go!  Hope to retire out of Fayette-nam, though!
JIHE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIHE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 20:48
Hello, everyone! I am a novice here, nice to meet you.I want to know more about scope.

EDIT:  Removed spam links in signature line.

Edited by RifleDude - July/15/2011 at 08:50
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 21:16
Puker

Sorry,

SPAM doesn't agree with me.

-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 07:20
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 06:53
Nice thread. Would like to add my recipe:

Rem 700 Police .308
Leupold variX II 3-9x
Harris bipod

42.8 grains of Vihtavuori N140 in a Lapua case (pre-formed; trimmed h 2.006; l 0.334) + Federal
all behind a Lapua FMJ-HPBT 167.3 grains (ocl 2.780)

Zero 100 = up 12 MOA at 600 meters 

Good fun

A+
K

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 07:34
i have an el-cheapo savage edge .308,that will damn near cut 1 hole groups @100. it's topped with the SS 10X, and can get hits on steel out to 900. with scope and all its a sub $600 gun.

savage makes real good rifles
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2013 at 15:19
When using a 10x on a 30/06 target rifle at 900-1000 yards I manage to recover from the recoil to see bullet strikes. It was tougher when I had a Unertl 15x but doable. If shooting at standard 1000 yard paper target I would go with 16 or more.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2013 at 16:32
why did you need to resurrect a two year old thread?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2013 at 04:38
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

why did you need to resurrect a two year old thread?

Bucky I am a slow reader, it took me a while to get through all this stuff, specially those drop charts
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2013 at 11:54
Well at least Rick is now down to 7 years Big Smile Thanks for your service Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic