OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Razor HD Binos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 11:07
Guess what Ted?  I just bought a NIB Swaro SLC HD in 10x42 for $1490 delivered.   
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 12:54
That's a great deal!  Big Smile
You can find great deals on any number of things if you look hard enough, and that applies to the items you compare against as well.  But first, said items have to be available for sale, and it's easier to find those good deals once the product has been available for awhile, correct?

My point was and continues to be that you're trying to make value judgments between an item of undetermined performance that isn't available for sale yet vs. a product that has been available for some time, comparing prices on same before one ever has a chance to get the benefit of discounts, and speculating on performance without having ever seen one.  You're making the assumption that today's realities of perceived value will forevermore hold true years from now.  Optics manufacturers don't invest capital in making products with the anticipation of a short lifespan.  If 2 years from now, nobody is buying the Razor HD, then the consumer has spoken and it's not worth the asking price.  The free market has a way of working these things out. 

Would you not agree that you can probably get the same discounts on the Razor HD after it's been available for sale for a couple years?  Given that, would you not agree that it would be logical to conclude that the same price differential would likely exist between two products at discounted prices?

Edited by RifleDude - February/24/2011 at 13:10
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 13:33
Can't argue with that Ted.  Enjoyed the discussion.  As always I've learned something here.  I'm off to catch some bass and crappie with my coonass buddies.  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 13:42
Good luck!  I have some coonass relatives.  Knowing what I know about them, they all love to eat and could take shoe leather and make it into a dish to die for, so I'm sure they could "whoop up" some mighty fine crappy!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 14:32
JGR,

Since you brought up the perception deal, let me run this kink at you. Wink

You have to get another binocular right now.  You have a choice of two mint condition binoculars. They are the same price and within your budget.  One is an SLC neu and one is a Leupold Gold Ring.  Which would you get?

I know the price deal is irrelevant in the current market.  But just for arguemen't sake.  The reason I ask is that I "THINK" the new Razor HD will be at least as good as the Leupold GR, so from that standpoint, I think the analogy is somewhat valid.

I think the GR faced some of the same "perception" obstacles as the new Razor HD will.  In spite of the fact that the GR has flourite glass and some other advances, Leupold never seemed to try and push this glass real hard.  Vortex evidently has no intention of trying to market whatever real advances "HD" in fact represents.

Now to answer my own question, and to relate a little to my last post in this thread, I'd get the Leupold.  I know we both think the Leupold essentially gives up nothing to the SLC neu.  Neither optically , in warranty service, and certainly not in constuction.  WHile the name brand personna goes to the SLC, I would opt for the Leupold because it is an American company who designed the glass, and will sell and service here.  Just made it someplace else.  Same philosophy will apply to Vortex.

Edited by Klamath - February/24/2011 at 14:46
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 17:52
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Originally posted by jseballos23 jseballos23 wrote:

It will be very interesting. I would hope to think they are better than the older EL's and SLC.  I believe you are right as they should be compared to the SV EL and the SLC HD.  I wouldn't want to make any purchases until I have looked at them but if they are better than the old EL's  and close to the new ones I would much rather pay 1200 for a new pair of Vortex HD's and get their great warranty. The issue with buying used Swarovski's is if you don't have the paperwork you are basically out of their warranty.  I wouldn't want that investing that kind of money.

First of all the SLCneu is nearly as good as it gets, bar none  (see allbinos.com 10x42 tests, granted they haven't tested them all yet).  Secondly, Swaro has a lifetime transferrable warranty, no paperwork necessary, and is one of very few optics companies that do so.  If the Razor HD is as good as the Swaro SLCneu.  I'd have to see it to believe it myself.   I'll be surprised if it's any better optically than the Zen Ray ED2, which is fantastic.  I hope the Razor HD knocks our socks off.  Once again for $1200 it better.

I don't know if I agree with everything on allbinos, but I will agree that the SLCneu is near the top of the pile.  After a couple weeks of using my new pair, I am starting see why they have the reputation they have (Thanks JG for helping me pull the trigger on them).  I would also be surprised if the Razor HDs somehow are immediately, noticeably better than the SLCneus.  I have seen the Swarovision, and did not think it was on some "next level" of optics.  I did immediately notice that rolling ball, though. 
There seems to be a lot of speculation on a new binocular that has not even been brought to the
marketplace.  I would hope that these are not hyped too much as the next new Swaro. EL or SLC.
I am thinking that will not be the case.

Until then, wait until some observations, from experienced users.  Smile

The Razor has been placed in the upper mid-level range.  I hope they will see some advantage over
some of the newer HD's like the ZenRay.  It seems ZR has worked on some of the early problems
they have had, so the competition keeps getting better.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2011 at 20:30
Steve, sorry for the delay, I just got back in town.  That's a good, and tough question.  However, I do agree that the GR HD gives up nothing to the SLC, but it certainly doesn't carry the esteem of the Swaro SLCneu. I would probably get the GR also, for the reasons you listed.  After using the GR HD on several hunts alongside the "alphas", I could not understand why Leupold, the marketing kings, didn't really push this glass.  I really, really, like it.  I also don't understand why Leupold discontinued the line, but didn't have a replacement ready and waiting.  Doesn't make sense to me.  

Make no mistake, I would really like for an American owned company to give the euros a real run for their money.   
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2011 at 21:38

Make no mistake, I would really like for an American owned company to give the euros a real run for their money.   

I believe Vortex is American owned. 
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2011 at 23:05
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I believe Vortex is American owned. 
I think that's his point. Smile
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

avid3d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avid3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 12:09
howdy all, i just found this site and wanted to share my experiance with the new razors.  following is a review i did for another site.......... couldn't figure out how to post a pic of them..

< ="-" ="text/; =UTF-8"> < ="-Style-" ="text/"> < name="Generator" ="Cocoa r"> < name="CocoaVersion" ="949.54"> < ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}

well, fedex dropped off my new 8x42 razor hd binos a couple of day ago and i’ve been having fun since then.

i was expecting to see some nice glass, and i have owned some of the original razors, but the glass in these new hd’s keeps blowing my mind every time i look through them.  razor is a great name because it describes what you see.......... razor sharp detail and the colors come through true and bright.  they have a nice solid feel, the mechanics are smooth.  eyecups have nice solid stops, so they stay where you set them.  the focus wheel is large and really makes focusing easy.  

yesterday i took them to my local high end optics dealer with the idea of comparing with other high end glass.  my test was a shaded balcony on an apartment building a quarter mile away.  the day was dark and overcast which i thought was a good thing since i wanted to see how much light these would gather in.

the first binos i asked to see was 8x42 swaro’s and they didn’t have any so i had to compare with 8x32’s ($1950) instead.  one thing i noticed right off the bat was a slight violet tint at the very edge of the view.  the razors had no tint whatsoever.  i then looked for distortion at the edge.  again, the razors came out on top with barely perceptible at the very edge.  i also checked them for chromatic aberration (which is violet distortion around images in high contrast situations like tree leaves agains the daytime sky).  i could see no difference between the swaro’s and the razors.  on the balcony was a red plant back in the shadows.  both binos were able to pick it up with the razors definately doing a better job.  i’m going to surmise that if i’d had a pair of 8x42 swaro’s, they would have done at least just as good as the razors, maybe better........ who knows, but it would have been extremely close.

the shop owner then handed me nikons top of the line 8x42’s ($1400) and within seconds, it was clear they didn’t have a chance against the razors.  i could not find the red flower and the sharpness just wasn’t there.

then he came over and had some zeis 8x40’s ($1900) to try.  they were better than the nikons, but didn’t come up to the razors or swaros.

another thing i’ll mention is that i decided to try 8’s instead of 10’s, since these are just for target and i’m mainly out 80 yards max.  there is more depth of field with these and i’ve never achieved such an easy time getting things perfectly focused.  

so that’s it........  anyone looking for top end glass, would not be well served if they left out vortex razor hd’s from the list.  they are selling online for $1180.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 19:20
Thanks for sharing, I've always found the that Vortex adds alot of value to their products.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jseballos23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jseballos23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 14:50
Did you look through the Swaro's EL SV's?
avid3d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avid3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 08:36
they were out of them.  only 8x32 el's.  i strongly believe that they would closely compare with 42's for less than half the cost...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 08:44
Welcome to OT, avid, and thanks for your review!
Ted

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 16:48
Here's a link to some of their newer stuff for 2011.

avid3d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avid3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 18:53
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Welcome to OT, avid, and thanks for your review!

my pleasure, and glad to be here.....
Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 21:51
Some of us keep waiting on the upgraded 8.5 X 50 Razor to hit the street. I received an email response from Vortex on April 14 indicating the Razor 50 MM would become available in May. Still waiting.
Outrider
avid3d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avid3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 12:34
let's drag this back to top for some great glass.....
bogey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2011 at 09:56
I was going to get the 8.5x50 razor but didn't like the feel as much as the 8x42 and thus got the 8x.  I think its a great bino.
xiaochun3612 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xiaochun3612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 23:55
That's a good, and tough question.  However, I do agree that the GR HD gives up nothing to the SLC, but it certainly doesn't carry the esteem of the Swaro SLCneu. I would probably get the GR also, for the reasons you listed.  After using the GR HD on several hunts alongside the "alphas", I could not understand why Leupold, the marketing kings, didn't really push this glass.  I really, really, like it. 
Whacko
Whacko
Believe myself.
\
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic