OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

barrel twist rate, ar15 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 10:56
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

That is the problem with my 16" AR and the 75s, I am only getting like 2550 velocity.  It is very accurate, but very slow.  But it does not shoot the lighter bullets for crap, so I am kind of stuck with it. 

In the future, I think I am going to stick with the 1-9" twist barrels so I can just run the 55s and 60s.   

Have you checked out the 1-8 twist barrels? I've found some damn good results with a wider range of grain sizes.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 10:58
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

have you tried the 68-69, mine shoots them very well. it shoots the 75's pretty good, and with 24.2 of V and cci 400's, i get about 2700fps.

they both kill the hell out of ground hogs, it guts them, but they make it back to the hole sometimes. so i thought i'd go a bit lighter.

Hit them in the head and they won't get back to the hole Wink Easier said then done of course.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 11:15

hey koshkin, how do those 53's do past 300? i've been using 68's on groundhogs, but they make it back to their holes sometimes.

So far so good.  I just recently tried that bullet it Hornady's Superformance ammo and it seemed to stay accurate out to 500 yards.  Now, I will try to put some handloads together and see how accurate I can make it.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 13:18
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

hey koshkin, how do those 53's do past 300? i've been using 68's on groundhogs, but they make it back to their holes sometimes.

So far so good.  I just recently tried that bullet it Hornady's Superformance ammo and it seemed to stay accurate out to 500 yards.  Now, I will try to put some handloads together and see how accurate I can make it.

ILya

How accurate is accurate, K?
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 13:23
yeah hitting GH's in the head with 16" ar at 300+. most are juvies so they only give you about 1 second up and 8 down. little bastards

i have some 60 vmax that do real good at 200, but start to peter off past 250

thats why i stuck with the 68/75's
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 13:26
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

How accurate is accurate, K?

That depends.  This particular AR shoots about 0.75 to 0.9 MOA with handloaded 77gr SMKs.  With factory 53gr Vmax it averaged right around 1 to 1.2 MOA.

I think I can tighten the 77gr SMKs a touch down to consistent 0.75 MOA or better and I think I can bring my 53gr handloads down below 1MOA as well.

How far away I can keep that accuracy is not clear, since the range where I shoot usually has a fair amount of wind.  53gr Vmax and 77gr SMKs seem to have about the same wind drift out to 500 yards or so, which is about all I want out of a 223 under normal circumstances.

My other AR is chambered for 6.5Grendel and is showing much better accuracy potential.  With 123gr SMKs it averages in the 0.5 - 0.7 MOA range. It may be capable of doing better, but I do not think I am capable of shooting that well with any consistency.

ILya
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 15:44
if the 53 and 77 have similar WD out to 500 thats crazy good.

i found that i get better groups with cci400 than with remington BR primers. with the 60 vmax it was a huge difference, around 2" better with the 400's
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 15:56

if the 53 and 77 have similar WD out to 500 thats crazy good.

i found that i get better groups with cci400 than with remington BR primers. with the 60 vmax it was a huge difference, around 2" better with the 400's

53gr V-max have pretty sleek profile.  Hornady lists their BC as higher than both 55gr and 60gr Vmaxes.

Since they start out quite a bit faster than 77 grainers, it is not surprising that out to 500 yards they still buck wind petty well.  Beyond that a heavier bullet would do better.

ILya
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 16:02
i'll pick some up start working on them
Sgtshultzy266 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgtshultzy266 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2011 at 16:19
I have a RockRiver predator pursuit 1/8 that shoots everything Ive put thru it well, anywhere from 45gt to 77gr  guess I got a good one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic