OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

900-1000 yd Range Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 900-1000 yd Range Report
    Posted: February/24/2011 at 18:14
I didn't have an exact distance, because I don't have a rangefinder, but from what my eyes told me it was about that. I don't have pics because it wasn't a regular target. I hit a 18" by 22" piece of plywood 4 out of 6 times with WidowMaker. I don't know how good that is, but hopefully not bad for my first time at that distance. Let me know what you guys think, and next time I'll show you the target, and set-up. Cool
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 12:03
That would be good because most people are part of the pictures or it didn't happen club.
savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 12:10
You guesstimated dope for a "900-1000" yard shot and actually hit the target?

You have luck.

Now build skill.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 16:31
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

You guesstimated dope for a "900-1000" yard shot and actually hit the target?

You have luck.

Now build skill.
That's what I thought! I'd be lucky to hit, actually ranging the target! None the less guesstimating! I do shoot a smaller target though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 20:54
details details details..........................caliber; scope; bullet; come ups!!!!!!!! Excellent
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 21:26
Remington M700 Sendero SF .300WM
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X50 with Mil-Dot Reticle
Barnes VORTX 165 gr TTSX
Stoney Point shooting bag
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 00:52
I hit a matchbox once, first shot. I guessed the distance at about 980m because my rangefinder battery was flat. My brother thought it a lot closer, about 80m. We still argue about that to this day.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 07:22
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I hit a matchbox once, first shot. I guessed the distance at about 980m because my rangefinder battery was flat. My brother thought it a lot closer, about 80m. We still argue about that to this day.
Laugh
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2011 at 23:28
Sometimes you guess it and let it fly I've been there. I've made a couple of shots over the years that I couldnt repeat if I had to. I had a deer run past a hunting blind in Texas one time I had a 30-30 winchester with open sights  I tracked it left to right till I ran out of window tossed the rifle to my left shoulder aimed out the right window and shot it in the head running.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 00:00
Probably the luckiest shot I've ever made... with my  my wife's Voere Titan II 30-06 with Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42.  We were at the range shooting at 500 yards and she wasn't hitting as accurately as she thought she should.  Said she didn't think the scope was zeroed properly... I picked up the rifle, standing freehand shot, raised it to my shoulder, sighted the target, set the set trigger and touched the trigger (set at 8oz) and hit the bullseye dead center.  Looked at the target through the spotter, offered it to her and said "works for me".  Greatest "hero shot" I've ever made.  She has never asked me to check her "zero" since....
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 07:15
Thats a good story KB, now tell the truff, you reversed the roles didn't youWink
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 11:09

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 11:54
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Probably the luckiest shot I've ever made... with my  my wife's Voere Titan II 30-06 with Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42.  We were at the range shooting at 500 yards and she wasn't hitting as accurately as she thought she should.  Said she didn't think the scope was zeroed properly... I picked up the rifle, standing freehand shot, raised it to my shoulder, sighted the target, set the set trigger and touched the trigger (set at 8oz) and hit the bullseye dead center.  Looked at the target through the spotter, offered it to her and said "works for me".  Greatest "hero shot" I've ever made.  She has never asked me to check her "zero" since....

Be happy she didn't say "do it again"!!

dsr (sometimes it is good to know when to quit)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 14:10
Oh, believe me, I AM...

Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 19:00
Usually, I'd rather be lucky than good.  Just don't ask me to do it twice!
Far Beyond Driven
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 22:59
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I EVER was..."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic