OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mid-Range AR15 Optic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane-L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid-Range AR15 Optic
    Posted: February/24/2011 at 19:57
Hello Optic Gurus,

I am in a bit of a pickle. I am in need for an optic for my AR15, which is a 20 inch barrel, free floated, and pretty darn good accuracy for shooting with strictly irons. The rifle is one that gets thrown in my truck and on the back of a four wheeler. I would like to start learning the mil system as I have always done 90% of my shooting with irons. I do use it for hunting hog and deer occasionally which leaves me sometimes in shrubs and in the dark. I also have access to a 600 range that I would like to shoot steel at. I may be asking too much out of one optics, and if so I need to be told that. The two scopes I am currently looking at: Super Sniper 3-9X and the Viper PST 2.5-10X. I would be willing on considering other similar priced options, but from what I have read, these are the go to scopes in this price range. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 20:57
 Either one will do great in low light.  < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">Do you want illumination? If not, then my vote would go to the SS.  If you need or want it, then that would rule out the SS.  I love my SS and can recommend it enough.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 21:36
the ss is a hell of a scope. It'd be my suggestion too
Shane-L View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane-L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 21:44
To be honest, I have really never had illumination to know if I needed. Have there been times where it might have come in handy? Sure. Normally if I have enough light to see my target, I have the ability to see the cross-hairs on the target. So, if I was willing to give up the illumination, the SS would be the better choice between the two?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 21:53
absolutely
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 22:33
One thing I like about the SS the more I use it, is the Mil on Mil adjustment and that it is First Focal Plane.  I don't see that the Vortex is FFP in the 2.5-10.  Just a personal preference for me, but I like being able to range on and any setting instead of just the one they calibrate it to.  You can get the Mil/Mil on the Vortex

My vote goes to the SS if you don't want illumination.  I have on on my 270 and have never needed or wanted illumination on that rifle.  Only time I have liked illumination is on my 22-250 or AR for hunting at night.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Shane-L View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane-L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 11:36
Oh yes, the mil/mil adjustment/ret is one of the major reasons I am looking at these two scopes. I have always had the itch to learn mils and now considering the affordability of some of the new products out there now, I have little reason not to try it.

One thing I am curious about between these two scope, has anyone actually compared the two side by side to determine if one is optically better than the other? 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:18
I love Vortex.

Get the SS.
-Matt
Shane-L View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane-L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 13:11
Well. I thought I would update. I dropped by SWFA’s shop the other day and picked up a new SS 3X9. I was quite pleased with the clarity and the force required to adjust elevation and windage. So, thanks for those who suggested it. SWFA is truly top-notch.

Now I have another question. I know it is shooter preference, but I having a hard time picking between a slightly forward mount and a extended eye relief mount. I normally use my five position stock in the third position and I will be running a Troy folding battle sight under the SS. I would like for the rear of the scope to sit as flush as possible with the rear of the receiver so it does not get in the way of using the charging handle. I do not really have a brand preference on mounts (QD return to zero). 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 13:24
Get the Bobro.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx

I have two of them and am ordering another.  They are fantastic.

This is the SS1-4x, so the 3-9x would fit pretty much the same.  It gives the perfect height and allows you all kinds of forward and back options.  I had a Larue and after I got the Bobro, I sold it for another Bobro.  They are excellent mounts.

Edited by supertool73 - March/18/2011 at 13:26
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Shane-L View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane-L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 13:41
That is darn near exactly how I want the scope to sit. If the 3x9 and the 1x4 are similar in length as you say, that would be perfect.  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 13:51
The eyepieces are the same I believe.  So it should fit just like that.  Obviously the objective end of teh 3-9x will stick out a bit further though.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Shane-L View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane-L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 14:01
Yes, I understand that the objective end will stick out more, I am perfectly fine with that. 
Rude Robert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rude Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 15:18
I don't mean to high jack this thread, what was wrong with the Larue mount that you bought the other one??
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 15:43
The way to LaRue attaches to your rail, it slides and grinds/cuts into the rail every time you take it on and off.  The Bobro clamps on, so it will not damage the rail over time like the LaRue does. 

I also like how the Bobro only has the one lever that needs to be undone.  The way it is set up, it would be near impossible for it to come undone accidentally. 

The way the Bobro is designed it is pretty obvious it will return to zero better when taken on and off as well.  The LaRue is a decent mount, I just think the Bobro is a lot better.  I just installed my 3rd one a few minutes ago on my 6.8 spc. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 17:09
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I just installed my 3rd one a few minutes ago on my 6.8 spc. 

I too have and recommend the Bobro mount and reinstalled my 1-4x SS back on my 5.56mm AR today. I haven't had the chance to mount my 3-9x SS to the Bobro mount, but I certainly will at some point. 

Welcome to Optics Talk, Shane.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 18:04
Originally posted by Shane-L Shane-L wrote:

To be honest, I have really never had illumination to know if I needed.

If you don't know that you need illumination, you don't need illumination.

The SS is a damn fine optic.  If, as I hear, the PST glass is very similar to the lower Vortex glass, the SS will far exceed.  That said, I have never had the 2 side-by-side.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 18:06
Also, I didn't get the Bobro, I got the American Recon, and my (YHM) BUIS will not fit under the ocular.

Juat FYI.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic