OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Excuses you've used to justify buying a new gun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Excuses you've used to justify buying a new gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excuses you've used to justify buying a new gun
    Posted: March/11/2011 at 18:38

The 7mm-08 thread made me think this could turn into a very entertaining discussion!

Confession time:

I actually built a custom 10/22 clone target rifle complete with VQ receiver, VQ snake fluted barrel, Kidd trigger group, the works... simply because I had a lonely 10/22 MAGAZINE laying around without a rifle to use it in!  The magazine is the ONLY stock Ruger part on the whole gun, in fact!

If that ain't the product of a diseased mind, what is?!!!

Top that!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 18:43
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Top that!

I can't ... you crazy!

Loco
-Matt
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 18:50
I did just find half a box of .277 Barnes TSX in the garage, and I no longer have a .270 WSM, so I guess it is time to use a Ted-tactic!  I can't think of any other way to get rid of those bullets.Wink
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 20:24
Good work, Matt!  You're getting the hang of it!

That wasn't so hard, now was it?!!!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 21:43
I just bought an X-Bolt because I found a deal on brand new Leupold scope bases for something like $7... 

I've always wanted a Browning rifle anyway.  An X-Bolt in 7mm-08 just seemed to be calling my name.
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 21:45
Excuses?  Back when I was married I had to come up with them.  Now that I'm no longer married to the warden, I just do whatever the *F* I feel like doing.  My gun collection has expanded considerably since the divorce.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 22:00

I realized I had traded off a 300 WSM and had 400 rounds of ammo for one so I had to buy another one.  Now --  I have a set of .243 dies and  no .243 --- I think we know where this is leading.

P.S.  I know I have a 10-22 mag somewhere and no 10-22 but I had forgotten about that till you said something.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/11/2011 at 22:01

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 00:18
LOL... well actually, believe it or not, my savage 110 7-08 came to be because I had a Burris FFII with heavy duplex and electro dot laying around and It just seemed like a better Idea to buy a rifle than to sell a scope!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 01:12
I sold my Grendel upper, but kept some ammo and reloading dies.  I HAD to go get another upper, this time with 264LBC chamber.

ILya
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 01:19
I had two lowly boxes of cheap 25-06 ammo laying around and a bore snake, was good enough for me to order a Sendero SFII...
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 06:09

I default to old faithful, "It's for the children."

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 06:12
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

I had two lowly boxes of cheap 25-06 ammo laying around and a bore snake, was good enough for me to order a Sendero SFII...

Laugh
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 06:22
I already broke this down in another thread, but since this one was opened...

I wanted a good foul weather-use rifle with a GOOD optic on it because the hand-me-down 30-06 my dad gave me has a REALLY poor scope on it that absolutely FAILS at repelling rain and fog (Tasco World Class).  The glass is horrible.  I am leaving the woods a solid 20-30 minutes earlier with it than I have to with my Elite 4200s.

I didn't have it in me to change out the scope on my dad's rifle and/or tell him the scope flat out sucks.  He has put a lot of time and effort into making it a well fitting, decent shooting rifle to give to me...he just doesn't invest much in his optics.  Hey it gets the job done, but I just like a little more and there is no telling what kind of animals that scope may have cost me over the years with my early departures, etc.

Anyway, I bought a Stevens 200 .270 and an Elite 4200 3-9x40mm...which means I also bought some mounts, ammo and a sling.  About $600 later (which I can't really complain about because for a new rig it's a great price) I have a good excuse:  "I bought this rifle so that I can hand yours down someday to your grandson...I don't want to wear it out."

Am I a bad son?!   

If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 07:08
In this country it takes so long to get a license you may as well buy a rifle now for your grandson yet to be born from your yet  to be married son or daughter !!!

The license may arrive early, or the grandson may be a granddaughter, so it is best to order a rifle in a caliber that you like, a scope that suits you and a stock that fits.Wink
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 07:33
I once bought a small car at auction to " flip". There were 2 boxes of 5.45 AK 74 ammo still in the trunk, so....  I had to make the next gunshow and bought a new Romanian AK 74 + another 500 rds of this stuff to try it all out.

I currently have about 200-300 rds of 7.62x39 ammo I got under the same conditions ( my father bought a car to flip and found the ammo, gave it to me) , so I've been looking for a good deal for an AK47.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 09:58
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

I once bought a small car at auction to " flip". There were 2 boxes of 5.45 AK 74 ammo still in the trunk, so....  I had to make the next gunshow and bought a new Romanian AK 74 + another 500 rds of this stuff to try it all out.

I currently have about 200-300 rds of 7.62x39 ammo I got under the same conditions ( my father bought a car to flip and found the ammo, gave it to me) , so I've been looking for a good deal for an AK47.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/12/2011 at 10:07

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 10:16
Bought a Browning Gold 20ga shotgun because I had the same model in 12ga and an extra magazine plug.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 10:38
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

Scroll about halfway down the page at the following link.  I bought one of the Romanian AK47 "military variants" from these guys (the gun with the black synthetic stock).  I've shot the hell out of that thing and it just keeps on putting lead downrange.  It'll chew up any ammo I feed it, including ammo that won't work in other guys' rigs.  I'm extremely happy with it and it's a deal that's pretty hard to pass up.

http://www.classicarms.us/
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 12:14
Wow great ideas. I have 2 boxes of 25-20 winchester ammunition with no rifle. Now to decide between a Winchester or a Marlin. Suggestions.
The Wanenmacher arms show is April 2-3
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 16:43
OK, I think I'm grasping this concept, I have a supersniper 10X, and a bushnell red dot that do not have homes due to going other routs on projects. So I'm thinking a pistol caliber carbine for the red dot, and maybe a 6.5-284 for the 10X. Any sugestions on what to get?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic