OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox vs Sightron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox vs Sightron
    Posted: March/14/2011 at 18:51
I am debating over a Minox ZA5/30 6-30x 56mm or a Sightron SIII 8-32x 56mm for ground-hog hunting with shots out to 1200 yards. I know quite a few guys who have the Sightron SIII and are very pleased, but I don't know anyone with the Minox. Would anyone with some experience with the Minox care to chime in ?
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 14:14
ground hogs........1200 yards.....  realllly, what caliber is this laser gun your going to be shooting.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 17:45
I will be using a 6.5 caliber this year. The chambering will be in .260 Improved, shooting 142 gr MK's out of a 28" HV contour Bartlein, 1 in 8" twist bbl. The action is a Stolle Panda F-Class, and it is bedded in a McMillan MBR Tooley stock. I am hoping to get into the 1000 yard club this year. I still shoot a few 6mm's, but I haven't killed any earth pigs over 881 yards yet with any of my 6's. 

So, what can you tell me about the Minox ZA5/ 30 scope, since you obviously don't shoot at ground hogs long range ?  

Edited by Blackbird - April/08/2011 at 19:53
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 07:52
I was just curious what type it was since..  you would need a rifle that is capable of 1/8moa accuracy to hit a groundhog that far, not to mention the wind.If you range them 5 yards short or plus you will completely miss,   and the fact that groundhogs might stand up for 2-3 seconds then crawl and eat another 5-10 seconds then stand up again. and with prob 1.5 second flight time on top of that its gonna take a good amount skill and luck.  I wasnt trying to be a smart ass, just really curious.  cause you really need "laser" type precision to hit one that far away. Your right i dont shoot ground hogs at 1200 yards,  but i do shoot them.  like i said just curious.
There are alot of excellent knowledgeable guys on here that will be able to help you. Good luck on it. If you had someone with a really good high zoom hd camcorder that would make really cool video.  I would like to see something like that.  Good luck!!!!!

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 09:57
ERNIE!!!

Ernie!!!

He's our Man!

If He can't do it no one can!!!!

I myself have not yet tried the Minox line of Scopes I have tried the binos but not the scopes I am a firm believer they can make quality optics after getting the binos in my hands.

I have however just got my first taste of Sightron.  It is like a nice cold drink on a Hot summer day.

I hate making claims comparing scopes to scopes as it is so hard to be talking the same unless side by side in the same exact conditions.

I do hope you find what you are looking for, I am pretty sure you are comparing scopes that are pretty close and are solid well built tubes for the price.

My choice based upon Specifications alone would definitely go to Sightron, I am finding they offer more MOA / MRAD of adjustment range than the others including Minox in this case.

I am looking for scopes most of the time that have the Adjustment range to reduce holdover.

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=170

http://www.minox.com/fileadmin/downloads/produktinfos/riflescopes/Mnx_Prosp_ZA_1110_int_technical_data.pdf

In this case it is Minox 40MOA  Sightron 70MOA near double and at that distance I might suggest you get as close as you can maybe even consider the 6-24 which offers 100MOA...

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=167

While it may seem I have not read your post about (paraphrased) "YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE WITH MINOX TO CHIME IN" I hope someone does chime in.

I again only offer this for advice, I practice thousands of holdover shots a year and I hate to miss,  I have found that I can replace my $3k setups with $1k setups and still achieve a tremendous success and right now my confidence is in Sightron's Line of SIII scopes.

I have eaten a fare share of humble pie on Sightron's performance.  If I would have listened sooner I might have saved a lot of money...

Again I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - April/09/2011 at 11:57
No one
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 15:56

I Thank both of you for your replies. Believe me stork23, I have had many misses at 1000+ yards on whistle pigs, and you are right about time of flight of the projectile, and the wind. I am new to the 6.5 caliber, and I wanted a higher BC pill to help buck the wind drift. My riflesmith had 9 confirmed kills over 1000 yards last season with this same chambering. He is retired, hunts about every day, and shoots thousands of rounds per year. I unfortuneately work 60-70 hours a week, so my shooting time is very limited. (till I retire) Luck might be with me this year, and I might make that shot count. 

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 18:02
Sounds like a worthy endeavor.  +1 on video.  I would recommend a digiscoping setup for those ranges.

I believe the Sightron has pretty good internal adjustment, which would help.  Sightron's have a reputation for reliable and repeatable tracking as well.  I had a Sightron S2 that I spun the elevation dial on a lot, and it was dead nuts.  I don't know about the Minox.
-Matt
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2011 at 08:14
Any decision made yet?
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2012 at 21:11
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

I myself have not yet tried the Minox line of Scopes I have tried the binos but not the scopes I am a firm believer they can make quality optics after getting the binos in my hands.

I have however just got my first taste of Sightron.  It is like a nice cold drink on a Hot summer day.

I hate making claims comparing scopes to scopes as it is so hard to be talking the same unless side by side in the same exact conditions.

I do hope you find what you are looking for, I am pretty sure you are comparing scopes that are pretty close and are solid well built tubes for the price.

My choice based upon Specifications alone would definitely go to Sightron, I am finding they offer more MOA / MRAD of adjustment range than the others including Minox in this case.

I am looking for scopes most of the time that have the Adjustment range to reduce holdover.

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=170

http://www.minox.com/fileadmin/downloads/produktinfos/riflescopes/Mnx_Prosp_ZA_1110_int_technical_data.pdf

In this case it is Minox 40MOA  Sightron 70MOA near double and at that distance I might suggest you get as close as you can maybe even consider the 6-24 which offers 100MOA...

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=167

While it may seem I have not read your post about (paraphrased) "YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE WITH MINOX TO CHIME IN" I hope someone does chime in.

I again only offer this for advice, I practice thousands of holdover shots a year and I hate to miss,  I have found that I can replace my $3k setups with $1k setups and still achieve a tremendous success and right now my confidence is in Sightron's Line of SIII scopes.

I have eaten a fare share of humble pie on Sightron's performance.  If I would have listened sooner I might have saved a lot of money...

Again I wish you the best in your endeavors.

I am wondering where this ended up.

Also i would love to here from anyone who has had both.

Ilya?

ANYONE?
No one
Iron Worker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 11:52
I just purchased a Minox ZA -5 6x30x56mm  today so i'm awaiting shipment . I had a Sigtron 8x32x56mm with 1/8 target dot. Reading the write up on Minox and talking to sales rep they have the same glass as the Zeiss conquest  and write up say its schott glass of Germany. the glass on the Sightron S3 was fine  but not super fine I sold it cause I need lower magnification range and the 1/8th target dot was to dang small.. So the Minox doesn't have the adjustment range but it has a unique XR BDC reticle for long range work. 
Truth isn't relative,its absoulute and objective
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 13:42
Welcome to the OT!

I own several of the minox scopes,my favorite being the Z5 4-20x50 & 1.5-8x32.The glass is quite good for it's price point.The only downside of the line is the turrets which are all mushy to me.Their CS is top of the line & their warrenties are as good as it gets.

I hope you do a review when you get some time in with the 6x30,I would be very interested in buying one of those as I really do like the company.I'm also looking forward to the new Illuminated scopes comming in from Germany beginning next year!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 14:25
I heard from others that the turrent adjustment feels "Mushy " But do they stay sighted in ?  The 6x30x56 is a new animal well at least its a 30 mm tube. Its the schott glass that attracted me. Mine will come with the XR-BDC reticle sure hope I can see it ? Hear its pretty thin. Its going on a Varmint predator rifle that I baby so sure hope I haven't bought a lemon.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2012 at 16:04
Just got off the phone with minox customer service. Asked about "Mushy" feel of  the turrents  he said "He felt I should spend some time in a padded room"  No just kidding he said "He new exactly what I was talking about and the problem had been fixed" So that's a + for their customer service.Yippee
Collector View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 21:58
I just received a new Minox ZA5 6-30x56 and compared to my older 3-15x50 and 4-20x50 ZA5s, the turrets are definitely improved. I also have several Sightron SIIIs and the earlier models had mushy turrets but the newer exposed turret models are fine. Both the SIII and ZA5 offer clear and bright optics but to my eyes, the ZA5 has better clarity in the center while the SIII offers better clarity on the edges.

I prefer the SIIIs exposed turrets to the ZA5s covered turrets and I prefer the reticles offered in the SIII line. Both the ZA5 and SIII lines have held up to heavy recoil on my rifles. I have SIIIs mounted on a .338 Lapua, .300 Weatherby and 7mm STW The ZA5s are mounted on a .338 Ultra Mag., .300 Win. Mag. and a .257 Weatherby. All have seen hundreds of rounds and none have had to go in for service.

Both scopes are great sub $1K scopes with the Sightron running a little more than the Minox. I think you will be happy with either, however, if price was no object, I would pick the SIIi over the ZA5 because I prefer the reticles and exposed turrets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 22:29
Welcome to the OT! Thanks for the update.
Bob the nailer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob the nailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 18:54
Ironworker, what the verdict on the Minox??? and how's that 6mm-284 been shooting lately.
One Ragged Hole, The quest for accuracy continues.
www.knowyourzero.com

Bob the nailer
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 23:52
I couldn't get rid of that Minox fast enough. I now have a Zeiss HD5 5x25x50mm. My 6/284 is great. I was shooting water filled Rock Star cans at 421 yds with ease .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 09:37
Thanks for that update IW.I purchased the same HD5 with Z1000 ret 6 weeks ago but the weather has been very lousy so I haven't had a chance to get to the range to put it through it's paces yet!Mine is riding on a Remmy 5R Milspec in 308.

This scope is fantastic so far,hope they come out with a 4a ret,I don't like their plex[too thick for my liking]FYI take a look at the Leica ER scope,I have one with the ballistic BDC[IBS] The glass is better than the HD5 ,everything seems brighter & the reticle seems to be floating in space.
Bob the nailer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob the nailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 12:03
Thanks for the heads up, I did find some of your posts on why you didn't like the minox. I have a Weaver T24X on my 6.5x55 A.I. and want to switch to a 30mm tube variable optic.
One Ragged Hole, The quest for accuracy continues.
www.knowyourzero.com

Bob the nailer
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 16:45
I only have one Minox scope it I had it to do over I would probably select another brand. With what you are wanting to do I think you will ultimately be happier with a 34mm tube optic for more elevation travel.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic