OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best compact for the money, Vortex?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best compact for the money, Vortex?
    Posted: March/14/2011 at 20:00
I am looking for an 8x compact I just can't see handholding 10x or putting compacts on a tripod.
So far it looks like the Vortex Viper 8x28 at about $350 is the best deal out there.  Even the zeiss conquest is about $100.00 higher and has the smaller lens  at 8x20. Can anyone comment on this model?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 21:21
I assume you don't mean pocket size when you say compact?  The Viper 8x28 is decent enough but it gets whacked pretty hard by the original Viper 8x32 which is on sale now for about the $350 range.  The Conquest 8x30 will also pretty easily outdo the Viper 8x28 as well, in my experience at least.  Usually any of the 32 mm glass will petty well outdistance any of the 28 mm glass.  They will be a little bigger, but almost always better.  So if you are just looking for a smallish binocular that doesn't seem like it is related to a boat anchor,  I'd advise a 30-32mm glass.

What I use personally when I need a small binocular is the Baush & Lomb Custom Compact 7x26.  This is now sold under the moniker of the Bushnell Custom ELite 7x26.  This is WAY better than the 8x28 class of stuff.  About the same price as the Viper 8x28.

Edited by Klamath - March/14/2011 at 21:27
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 23:00
thanks for the info-- yes I was thinking best pocket bino 8x
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 00:02
If price isnt the most important to think about I would go for a Zeiss EDF 7x40
There is a lot of new and unused at ebay.

Little one here

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 17:50
As a pocket binocular, the Vortex will likely prove dissapointing.  It may be small, but it's not pocket sized - unless you're talking about big cargo pockets.

The Zeiss 8x20 you were using as a comparison will neatly and unobtrusively slip even into a small shirt chest pocket.  It will, therefore, be taken to places where the Vortex would likely be left behind.  It can also, with careful shopping, be found for around $330.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic