OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SAVAGE 10 NEED A 20MOA BASE THAT IS DEAD ON

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAVAGE 10 NEED A 20MOA BASE THAT IS DEAD ON
    Posted: March/19/2011 at 16:32
I have gotten rid of a rifle similar to an HS PRECISION HTR .308 and traded down to a Savage 10 with one of those Ultimate stocks (SOON TO BE REPLACED, NEED HELP ON THAT AS WELL!!! please help with a stock solution looking at a Medalist) with the Tactical Knob. 

Looking to get a 20MOA base.  Took the rifle out it did just fine MOA accuracy wise and am dedicating it to be a SUB gun ONLY.  It will shoot 200GR and 220GR SUBS ONLY.

I need a 20 MOA base and don't know what the best for this type of action.  I see warne makes one I have used them on the TRG's and wasn't impressed they worked well but they seemed a little overpriced for what they were (can't really complain) but looking to see what else is out there and know a lot of you like the SAVAGES (that is why I got this one). 

I am really enjoying all the info I have gotten on OPTICSTALK, I have replaced $2k rigs with $500 rigs and been just as accurate and repeatable. 

I have replaced $2k scopes with $600-700 scopes that did the same job.

I am hoping some can help me find a 20MOA base for this Savage 10.

Thank you in advance.

ALSO any help on the Stocks would be great.

looking at: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-BELL-%26-CARLSON-cln-Savage-DuraMaxx/Categories

ALSO this also does not have the ACCU-trigger so I am going to a rifle basix 2 trigger.  ANY IDEAS...

Also looking into making it magazine fed.

Again thank you for any ideas.

Greatly Appreciated.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/19/2011 at 17:42
No one
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 17:11
 Try the EGW 20 moa base,around $40.
 The stock you listed is for the 110 long action your model 10 is a short action so you need a short action stock,and make sure the screw holes are the right distance,if it is pre accu-trigger it is more than likely a stagger feed and 4.27" space.
froggy
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 17:34
My apologies, I do have the staggered mag and 4.25-4.27 holes as well as the older version "pre accutrigger".

I just shot a link out without looking last minute...

Should look like this...http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-BELL-%26-CARLSON-cln-Savage-DuraMaxx/Categories

I have also been looking here:  http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Stocks/

Already thank you for the input.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/19/2011 at 17:40
No one
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 17:41
I love my model 10

Base:
I have an EGW on mine good quality without spending 100 dollars. Will do the job.
You will need to know if it has a round or flat receiver. and make sure it is for a short action not model 110 long action.

Stocks:
Not a lot of choices out there. McMillan does make one for it. Last I checked it was not listed on the website though, but you could call.

Bell and Carlson Medalist Varmint Tactical Rifle Stock Savage 10 Series Short Action Blind Magazine with 4.275" Screw Spacing  is what I am looking at to replace mine. I want the full length bedding block for stiffness. Not 500 dollars plus. I have handled their duramaxx and it is a little too flexible to me.

Hope you like it.
Gerald Baker
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 17:45

I am looking for something similar to this for a stock...

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-700/Detail

(Medalist as mentioned in first post)

As I see it this Stock is too much for me for what it offers If you have one and like it I am not here to argue, I can see how you would like it but this gun is a sub gone only, I am cutting the barrel to 16" and having that cut down to fit an OPS-INC. M24 30cal can and I am only going to be lobbing 200gr B416's with this and some 220SMK's

Flat and not round receiver as this is the older version...

Here is a pic.

I bought this used the owner said it could not group for him, I noticed he had a junk scope and after a conversation about how it was shooting and what he was doing to try and fix it I got excited and bought it for drum roll... $600.00 now it came with a crap scope, crap base, crap rings and the trigger was adjusted down to 6 ounces so I used this to reset it http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html and sure enough it worked like a charm and is now a comfortable 3lbs. and was grouping sub 1/4 moa easy.

I am looking at the 10 SA only. 

Also looking at magazine feeding because of the 1 piece base and want a drop magazine ( I believe).

Again thx for the input... Just love this type of Thread/Chatting.

Pics... The LaRue Sticker is to cover the SN has nothing to do with anything other than to show the FLAT TOP NOT ROUND...

The last pic is the mount I thought I was going to use but Instead I am going to go a little less expensive... 

So I am looking for Ideas...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/19/2011 at 18:53
No one
shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 21:12
The. . . do I dare say it. . . (gulp) Weaver tactical picatinny rail is very decent considering the price.  Its made in the USA.  I think they make them for round and flat rear receivers.(however I dont see any listed through SWFA???)

I have mine set up with Burris Sig rings and they fit really well on the rail as well.  You could also monkey around with the inserts to get more MOA out of this setup if you desire.

Another option (but again I don't think SWFA has them for flat rear) Is the EGW HD base.  These are a little more than the weaver setup but about half as much as what Warne maxima base costs.

SWFA does have the regular EGW bases for short savage with flat rear.
http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P46214.aspx

One thing on that plaster stock, you might want to sand the grip areas a little.  Wink

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 21:12
If you and ILya ever get together, there are worlds to conquer...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 21:43
Originally posted by shockey shockey wrote:

One thing on that plaster stock, you might want to sand the grip areas a little.  Wink

I am afraid if I sanded what I didn't like on it I would need a belt sander...

I am looking for a smooth sleek lighter stock the design of this stock is not for a 300yrd SUB GUN but rather a 800YRD-1200YRD prone supported tri-pod (bi-pod). 

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/19/2011 at 22:06
No one
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 03:06
i just pick up a TPS 20 MOA seem to pretty good looking to me it sets on a model 10 savage, just an idea
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 12:43
I am thinking about a 500YRD sub gun.

Anyone know of a 30 MOA + base for the savage 10 flat SA???
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 23:49
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

If you and ILya ever get together, there are worlds to conquer...

???

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic