OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VXR $$$$$$ dont add up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VXR $$$$$$ dont add up
    Posted: March/22/2011 at 18:48
I want one so bad I can't stand it. I have a VXIII 1.5x 5 that I really like. I wan't the 2x7 VXR for my other 6.8 AR15 because of size and electronics but it seems to cheap for what you get. My VXIII was like 550. Where is the cost savings on the VXR?  Glass? 
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 19:22
So, you really like Leupolds, but they just don't cost enough.

arteacher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 19:54
[QUOTE=Shenko]So, you really like Leupolds, but they just don't cost enough.

[/Q

Being funny or can't read?  VXR is less money but more features than the VXIII. I don't want to order a VXR and realize I got a Rifleman or VXI with illuminated recticle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 20:13
I am just relaying information I have heard and read.  Take it for what it is worth, BUT:

Most reviews of the VX-R glass is positive.  It seems to above VX-2 performance.
-Matt
arteacher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 20:25
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I am just relaying information I have heard and read.  Take it for what it is worth, BUT:

Most reviews of the VX-R glass is positive.  It seems to above VX-2 performance.

Thanks! You are probably right. I would love to look through one but nobody has them in stock.

Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 21:17
According to this guy the glass is VX-2.5

"I asked one of the company representatives at the Leupold SHOT Show booth what quality glass was used in the VX R scopes. I was told the quality is between the current VX2 and VX3 scopes. They are using multi-coated lead free glass similar in quality to the old VXIII scopes.
"

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/25/leupold-vx-r-scopes/
arteacher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 22:09
Originally posted by Vermin93 Vermin93 wrote:

According to this guy the glass is VX-2.5

"I asked one of the company representatives at the Leupold SHOT Show booth what quality glass was used in the VX R scopes. I was told the quality is between the current VX2 and VX3 scopes. They are using multi-coated lead free glass similar in quality to the old VXIII scopes.
"

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/25/leupold-vx-r-scopes/

Thank you very much. We are getting somewhere!
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 22:12
I have 2 VX-Rs now, a 3-9x50 on my "go to" AR which I have used quite a bit and a 3-9x40 which I just bought. Both are excellent scopes and the optical quality is noticably better than a VX-3 and seem on par with my Trijicon Accupoints which have alway been my favorite. I really like the tight friction focus adjustment and the VERY positve adjustment clicks. So far no issues with dead batteries on the illum, always a problem with other illum Leupolds I have had. Based on what I have seen so far I think Leupold has a real winner here............
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
arteacher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 05:16
Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

I have 2 VX-Rs now, a 3-9x50 on my "go to" AR which I have used quite a bit and a 3-9x40 which I just bought. Both are excellent scopes and the optical quality is noticably better than a VX-3 and seem on par with my Trijicon Accupoints which have alway been my favorite. I really like the tight friction focus adjustment and the VERY positve adjustment clicks. So far no issues with dead batteries on the illum, always a problem with other illum Leupolds I have had. Based on what I have seen so far I think Leupold has a real winner here............

Thanks Bill! If it is good enough for you it is good enough for me. I have not seen you on 6.8 forum lately?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 07:12
Sounds very favorable, nice to see leupold once again getting serious.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 16:47
Originally posted by arteacher arteacher wrote:

Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

Thanks Bill! If it is good enough for you it is good enough for me. I have not seen you on 6.8 forum lately?

I recently bought a VX-R 3-9x50 and I returned it about a week later.  It's not that there was anything WRONG with it.  It was certainly a nice scope.  I just didn't see the value for the money. 

I would rather spend the extra couple hundred bucks to get a Trijicon (I have one and they are awesome) or save $350 and buy the Burris Fullfield II which is currently on clearance for $199 here on SWFA (I have one of these, too, and to my eyes anyhow they appear to be very similar to the VX-R lineup).  To me, it just seems that the VX-R is splitting the difference, which will probably work very well for a lot of folks.  It just wasn't worth it to me, that's all.

Then again, Bill knows his stuff and I won't argue with his results.  I've bought many items based on his recommendations and they have always been spot-on.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 17:11
I have tried the 2-7 up against the Accupoint 3-9
an hour after dark and at 200 yards, both were right at the same as far as clarity and brightness

Perhaps I got an amazingly good one.. don't know
My brother is using it now

We got a 3-9x50 in but I haven't had a chance to do a good test

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Sled2live View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sled2live Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 19:40
I bought the VX-R 4 X 12 X 50 with the ballistic firedot reticle. Sorry I don't have a VX3 to compare it against, but the various vintages of 2.5 X 10 X 40 vari X iiis that I have, the optics in the VX-R are much better.  Brighter, better resolution and color definition. I replaced my vari X iii on my "go to" gun with the VX-R and it was a huge improvement.  My hog hunting scope turned into my hunt anything everything rifle scope.

I was able to compare the VX-R directly against a Bushnell 4200 2.5 X 10 X 50 and the VX-R wasn't quite as "bright" as the 4200 after the sun set, but though a touch dimmer, had better resolution and color definition than the 4200.  I could see more detail with the VX-R than the 4200.

I also purchased a Burris 3 X 9 X 40 with the illuminated dot on closeout and have to agree with Astrovic above, at the closeout price, the burris is the best value.  It is only a  step behind the VX-R and has found a home on my hog rifle.  Very nice scope.

Scott
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2011 at 14:20
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

From all I have read and words out of the Leupold techs mouth when asked while attending to another matter Bitterroot Bulls is right on. The rep I talked with and have many times Jeff tells me that the glass would revile or better the older VX-III models like the one that I was having serviced that was purchase in 2002.  This would put at a bit better the the new VX-2's depending on who you asked.

I don't often get to offer much in the way of technical help here as I am not qualified. But I am a very discriminative person that recognizes quality in most venues of my interest and can tell you that the new VX-R line is up to snuff for coin invested and would venture to say when warranty; company stability and customer service is considered it is a good value.

I don't have one yet but am in the process though I have just a day or so ago got to put my hand on one a field. It was a very nice looking scope with what seemed to me to have been manufactured with an eye for quality and detail.

The evening of which I am referring I had one of my rifles that I had recently put a Trijicon on and my friend had the VX-R unmounted. I was able to have a side by side as the sun set but did not carry it to the blind for a complete darkness comparison. I can say that the VX-R seemed lighter in weight than I remembered the unmounted Trijicon being and that it was hard to tell which scope was brighter in the low light condition as I looked afield as the sun was disappearing behind the tree line. 

Well for what its worth; as soon as I get comfortable with the configuration I am going to order one.  I hope this is of some help to you and good luck with it.
REP
Enough is to much.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2011 at 14:58
I am not a Leupold fan lately because of the bang for buck. But I must admit the 3-9x40 VX-R with the CDS option has me thinking this might be a really useful mix for my #1 elk rifle.
I don't care for multiple hash mark reticles for a illum. lit scope, I would just as soon dial up the elevation on the longer shots.
Seems like a reasonably light and compact size for carrying and fitting in a scabbard.
My concerns are bumping the dials and moving them accidently.
Also this unit is more accurately described as a 3.5-8.5. (3.3-8.6 actual).
You gotta love the marketing guys.
dave1004 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2011 at 21:21
I got the 3-9x40 CDS and I really like my VXR.  Maybe leupold relized they were charging way too much for their scopes and decided to price the VX-R's a little more reasonably....
ssteve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2011 at 13:01
About to pull the trigger on a vxr, and am torn between a 2-7x33 and a 3-9x40 for my ar varmint rifle. Im told the less the magnification the better it will gather light, so Im wondering what visual difference there will be going from the 33mm objective to the 40mm on the 3-9....

Additionally, since some of you guys have had some more time with your new VX-r's, how are you liking them now?
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 16:34

Steve,

I feel the same way. I want to get one but just not sure what power or reticle pattern. I have a 2-7 Vortex Viper C3-plex and I know the FOV is larger at 2x than my Kahles at 3x but it does not look that way to my eyes. My eyes like the larger objectives. There is nothing like a big old’ 50mm. I think a 50mm bell can make mediocre glass look good.

Anyway, I like the versatility of the Ballistic Fire Dot but the simplicity of the Fire Dot Duplex. If I get the Ballistic Fire Dot can I add a CDS Turret to it later? I would most likely put it on a Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM or .308. Of course keeping the gun as light as possible is nice but I don’t mind a few more ounces for a better sight picture.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2011 at 18:54
Originally posted by Smileydawg1 Smileydawg1 wrote:

Steve,

I feel the same way. I want to get one but just not sure what power or reticle pattern. I have a 2-7 Vortex Viper C3-plex and I know the FOV is larger at 2x than my Kahles at 3x but it does not look that way to my eyes. My eyes like the larger objectives. There is nothing like a big old’ 50mm. I think a 50mm bell can make mediocre glass look good.

Anyway, I like the versatility of the Ballistic Fire Dot but the simplicity of the Fire Dot Duplex. If I get the Ballistic Fire Dot can I add a CDS Turret to it later? I would most likely put it on a Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM or .308. Of course keeping the gun as light as possible is nice but I don’t mind a few more ounces for a better sight picture.

Can you clarify the field of view statement above?  What does it have to do with objective bell size.

ILya
ssteve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 11:01
So I ended up purchasing the 2-7x33 with the ballistic firedot... VERY nice glass, and am more then happy with my purchase. Its going on my AR I use for predator hunting and should surve very well on some dogs. I am replacing a 1.5-4x20 mark AR which was great, but wanted a little more magnification, as well as keeping or adding more quick acquisition, but without going to something that needed battery power to be opporational. This fits the bill perfectly.

smileybawg1,
The 3-9 and 4-12 are available with the cds only in the duplex, not in the ballistic, but Im sure the leupold custom shop could do it for you. I personally am opposite of you and likemy optics mounted very low So I will be using the 4-12x40 with the ballistic firedot on my 30-06 deer rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic