OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best under a Grand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best under a Grand
    Posted: March/29/2011 at 04:26
OK I need help. I have scope info overload. I am looking for a scope for an upcoming precision rifle school. I am providing my own gear so cost is an issue. I am looking to spend under $1000.00 on a scope. I have been looking at the Viper PST, Leupold VX-3, Bushnell Elite 6500 and too many others to count. I am looking for good information other LE that have precision rifle experience.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 04:40
http://opticstalk.com/new-swfa-ss-39x42-ffp-and-10x42-hd_topic19467.html

Please read the opening comments from Frank, concerning the SS 3-9x.

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 07:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://opticstalk.com/new-swfa-ss-39x42-ffp-and-10x42-hd_topic19467.html

Please read the opening comments from Frank, concerning the SS 3-9x.

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
For a no worries, performance workhorse, with the track record to back it up, you won't find a better fit than the SS 3-9
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 08:46
guess I need some learnin...........   what is precision rifle experience?
take em!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 13:07
I would guess someone who has experience using precision rifles and precision rifle optics
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 13:19
what constitutes precision?   is that like tactical or what?
take em!
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 13:22
i would guess he's speaking about repeatable accuracy at extreme distances.   very small groups at 1k+
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 13:22
or, perhaps, very small targets...
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 13:27
Here is a graphic Rancid posted showing precise vs accurate.  Precision is what Dyelynn said.  Both a excellent rifle and and excellent shooter are required. 

Edited by supertool73 - March/29/2011 at 13:27
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

tkuffler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:39
OK Guys Precision rifle in the overly politically correct world of law enforcement is a sniper course. I work for a very small Dept and they do not pay for our rifles. So if I want to get this done I have to pay for everything myself.  I like what I am reading about the SWFA but I would more magnification. Anyone with experience with Sightron as well, I have heard the glass and tracking are good but they lack in adjustment. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:41
Sightron s3 line has 100 MOA of adjustment, so they definitely are not lacking there.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:43
How much mag do you want?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:43

Most LE applications where a "marksman" is called in are distance of less than 100yds?  I believe i read that somewhere, may be wrong,  wanting more magnification and needing are to entirely different things. 

I've never delt much with the Sightrons, they have a good following but the reports of how tough and reliable they are just aren't out there like the SS3-9. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:44
If you are willing to spend just a little over $1000 this would be a good choice.  IOR has fantastic glass, and their 30mm tube line is a durable design. 

http://swfa.com/IOR-4-14x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10807.aspx

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:45
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If you are willing to spend just a little over $1000 this would be a good choice.  IOR has fantastic glass, and their 30mm tube line is a durable design. 

http://swfa.com/IOR-4-14x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10807.aspx
I'd second that, would be my second choice. out of whats out there that have proven track records
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:53
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Most LE applications where a "marksman" is called in are distance of less than 100yds?  I believe i read that somewhere, may be wrong,  wanting more magnification and needing are to entirely different things. 

I've never delt much with the Sightrons, they have a good following but the reports of how tough and reliable they are just aren't out there like the SS3-9. 

but a sniper course would be comprehensive from quick close up shots to prepared very long range shots including wind doping and obstructions. 

IMHO, you should contact the folks offering the course and find out if they have a suggested equipment list, i'd be very surprised if they didn't.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:57
I have taken several precision rifle classes.  We shot from 15 yards to 1200 yards.  I used either a 3-18x IOR or a 10x SS.  Both worked fine.  The 10x was a little much inside 100 yards, but I got by.

tkuffler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:11
I am looking for something between 14 and 24 max mower with a 50MM objective. I would prefer to have an illuminated reticle but it is not absolutely required.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 17:21

Vortex Viper PST..6-24x50...SWFA @ $899.95

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tkuffler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 18:50

The Viper is probably my first choice but availability is a concern. I have been told that the wait time on the 6-24 X 50 FFP is over 60 days. Which puts me in a bind on if I am goinf to get it by the date I need it.  So I guess what I am asking is Wait for the Viper or go with a VX-3 or a Sightron SII.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic