OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Compact Lightweight scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compact Lightweight scope
    Posted: January/02/2006 at 12:25

I am buying a somewhat lightweight deer rifle (REM M700 LV SF 7MM08) and will be needing a lightweight, compact scope for it to keep overall weight and bulk.  It will be used to hunt whitetails in a mix of semi-open and timber land.  I would like something in a 2x-7x or possibly a fixed 4X or 6X.  Would like to keep it under $300 but would go higher if the advantages are there.  Any opinions for my particular application??  Thanks in advance for any info. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 13:28
Burris and Leupold have the most complete line-ups of compact scope.  Sightron has a few as well.

Generally you get what you pay for with optics, but I think that there are enough options under $300.

You kinda need to decide what you want first though as regards to magnification and reticle.

In a 2-7x variable, I'd go with Burris 2-7x26 compact with BallisticPlex reticle or Sightron S2 2.5-7x32.  The new Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 promises to be just slightly bigger, but is also a good option.  Leupold makes a VX-II 2-7x33 for just over $300.  I think that Burris is cheaper and better optically.

For other variables in your price range (under $300), I recall being very impressed with Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5x32.

With the fixed magnification scopes, I'd probably be more inclined to go with 4x due to a wider field of view, but either 4x or 6x would work just fine.

4x, from best glass on down:
IOR 4x32
Sightron S2 4x32
Burris Short Mag 4x20
Leupold FX-II 4x33

IOR is excellent but it has a steel tube which makes it about 4-5 ounces heavier than the rest of these.  Burris is the smallest and lightest at 8 ouncess and with most eye relief.  All four are good scopes and would work well.

6x:
Sightron S2 6x42
Nikon Monarch 6x42
Burris Fullfield II 6x40
Leupold FX-II 6x36

Leupold is the lightest here and the most expensive, but Monarch and SIghtron have better glass and are not much bigger.  Once againa ll four are good scopes.

All in all, I would probably go with a quality 4x scope for your application.  Either IOR or Sightron. 

ILya
jred View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2006 at 14:10

Thanks for your input ILya.  I did not know about Sightron or IOR.  That Sightron 4X is short and light.  This forum has a bunch of good info.

What do you guys think of the new ultralight line from Leupold??

Whitedogone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2006 at 21:32
Just a thought,  You might be able to find one of the Zeiss models that the Conquest replaced.  I believe they were called the Diavari MC(not the "T"model).  They had a 3x9x32 that was Awsome!  I have seen some on a famous internet auction site that sold for a fair price.  Thay have one in a local shop that they want $100.00 more than the Conquest.  I'll pass on that one.   WDO
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2006 at 11:41
The Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36 is a super choice for compact lightweight rifles.  $400
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic