OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta Meopro vs. Meostar Bino and Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta Meopro vs. Meostar Bino and Leupold
    Posted: March/30/2011 at 23:30
I am a novice when it comes to binos.  I have a Meopta Meostar scope for my gun (3-12x56) and love it. Now I need a good set of binos to complement my scope.  Just got the gun and scope so a little limited on budget for a good set of binos.  Really leaning towards Meopta Meopro 10x42 ($499).  If it wasn't for my budget I would get the Meopta Meostar 10x42 (899).  Also looking at the Leupold Mohave 10x42($459).  Should I get the Meopro or wait an extra year for the Meosta.  What you fellas think?Whacko Also, is 10x42 a good choice?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 09:27
I have the Meostar 10x42s and love them.  I have not looked through a Meopro, so I cannot comment on them.  But the Meostar image quality is excellent, darn near as good as the alpha glass and half or less than the price of the big 3.  They have proven track record of being extremely durable. 

If you want some excellent binos at a low price, check out the Zen Ray ED2s.  They get excellent reviews and people claim image wise they are right up their with the Meostars.  http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-Zen-ED2-Binoculars-C2703.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 13:04
If the Zen doesn't interest you, I'd hold out for the Meostars.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 14:00
Having owned both the 10X42 Meostars and 10X43 Zen ED2, I would say the differences in image quality between the two is very small.  The Meostars have better depth of field while the ZEN ED2s have better CA control.  Both have excellent images.Both have excellent customer service and warranties.  The Meostars have a better build quality, but the Zens are not fragile by any means.I have not seen the Meopros, but they are not that attractive, given specs, when compared to the Zen ED2 in a similar price range.The Zens are easily the best deal, while the Meostars are a better overall binocular ... by a hair.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - March/31/2011 at 15:29
-Matt
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 16:45
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I sorry, but what is CA?  Also, given that I am getting a Meopta Meostar 3-12x56, will the 10x43 binos be a good complement?  Meaning, will I be able to see what I can see in low light conditions with the Zed ED2 binos what I can see with my Meopta scope?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 18:42
CA is Chromatic Aberration which is usually seen as "color fringing" around high contrast objects in the view.  Some notice it, some don't.  All optics show it to some extent.

I really like 10X40ish binoculars.  Many find 8x bins easier to get a steady image.  The 8x will also have a larger exit pupil for low-light viewing.  The 10x has the ability to show more detail, but requires a steadier hold.

Generally, the stereoscopic view from binoculars will show a better image than a riflescope.  I don't know which will show more detail, but I will say the Zen ED2 will allow you to see pretty much everything any other brand of binocular of similar configuration will allow you to see.

I hope that helps.
-Matt
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 06:53
 euros on sale now 699
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 11:12
I hear that the Euros only have Meopta glass with dummied down internals and less robust externals.  No data to support that.  The same guy said I could call Meopta and the would tell me the same thing.  I haven't followed up though.  Cabela's does have a good sale now though.  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 11:16
Thats not true.  They are the exact same bino
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 11:16
I have read up on the Zen Rays.  They seem to have pretty consistent positive feedback.  I would like to see them and put my hands on them before I purchase.  Is there any one that carry's them?  Only thing I can find is online.  Making up to a 600 yard shot, should I look at 8x43 or 10x43?
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 11:22
I didn't know for sure.  If you zoom in on the Euros they have the Meopta emblem on the knob.  Thanks
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 11:28
They are the same bino except for the color and the Meopta brand has the little dimples on them.  I have the Euros and have looked through the actual Meopta side by side.  There is no difference.

RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 12:19
Do you have 8 power or 10 power?  I would need them for a max up to 600 yards.  But my range could be much closer.  I have been reading a ton and have mixed opinions.  A lot of what I have read is than even though you can see the target closer up, the movement would off-set the magnification and defeat the purpose.  So 8 power makes 600 yards appear 75 yards and 10 power makes it appear 60 yards.  Does that make up for the difference in the extra light that the 8 power brings in.  Grant it, the 600 yards is a maximum case.  Thanks
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 12:27
I like 10x binos better.  I like the added detail they can provide.  My 10x work just fine in low light so that has never been a concern for me.   If you are very steady then 10x may work well for you.  If you are shaky then 8x would be better.  My dad runs a 12x Euro and he loves them.  It is just personal preference.  I would go to a store and take a 8x and 10x pair outside and see which one you like best. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 12:38
Just so you know Matt (bitterroot bulls) is a bino freak.  He knows a ton about optics.  He has used/owned and compared alot of binos.  So any recommend you get from him as you search posts is one you can take to the bank.  He has always talked highly of both the Meostar and the ED2 as he has put them through heavy use.  He is the kind of hunter who will spend days at a time in the high country hunting and putting all his gear through hard use.  Personally I take Matts word on these things as gospel. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 13:41
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Just so you know Matt (bitterroot bulls) is a bino freak.  He knows a ton about optics.  He has used/owned and compared alot of binos.  So any recommend you get from him as you search posts is one you can take to the bank.  He has always talked highly of both the Meostar and the ED2 as he has put them through heavy use.  He is the kind of hunter who will spend days at a time in the high country hunting and putting all his gear through hard use.  Personally I take Matts word on these things as gospel. 

Embarrased

Wow thanks ST!

I will say I have put the ED1s through some rough use, and they did very well.  I have had the ED2s for just a little while, but they are better than the ED1s in every way.

BTW, the Cabelas Euros and Meopta Meostars are identical in every way but rubber armoring and price, just as ST pointed out.  The guy that said otherwise was misinformed.

-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 13:44
Originally posted by RDM17353 RDM17353 wrote:

Do you have 8 power or 10 power?  I would need them for a max up to 600 yards.  But my range could be much closer.  I have been reading a ton and have mixed opinions.  A lot of what I have read is than even though you can see the target closer up, the movement would off-set the magnification and defeat the purpose.  So 8 power makes 600 yards appear 75 yards and 10 power makes it appear 60 yards.  Does that make up for the difference in the extra light that the 8 power brings in.  Grant it, the 600 yards is a maximum case.  Thanks

8x is plenty of magnification for glassing 600 yards.  I prefer 10x, but I don't have trouble holding it still, and often mount 10x bins on a tripod when glassing for long periods of time.  I wouldn't feel handicapped in any way with 8x.
-Matt
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 14:13
Bitterroot, that fella was correct about you.  I just talked with Meopta directly and they told me that the Cabela's Euro was the exact same as the Meopta Meostar.  Thanks very much for the info.  Very helpful!
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by RDM17353 RDM17353 wrote:

I hear that the Euros only have Meopta glass with dummied down internals and less robust externals.  No data to support that.  The same guy said I could call Meopta and the would tell me the same thing.  I haven't followed up though.  Cabela's does have a good sale now though.  

Negative.  They are the exact same binocular.  Call Meopta and ask them yourself.  This same topic just got dusted off on another forum recently.  The price difference is because Cabela's handles the Euro warranty.  There is also a different color armor and badge.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 19:48
Well in my definitely limited experience with really good glass, I can't imagine a better binocular for the price than the Zen Ray 8x43 ED2! They are simply fantastic. I can understand that the depth of field might be a bit shallow for some, but the image these binos give is fantastic.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic