OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does it matter where the rings are on a scope tube
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Does it matter where the rings are on a scope tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does it matter where the rings are on a scope tube
    Posted: April/01/2011 at 23:58
Does it matter where the scope rings are on a scope tube? The thought of this had never crossed my mind until recently, and I realized I don't know the answer. The reason I ask is I've see several rifles that had bases that were fairly short so the rings weren't far apart and the scope had to be almost all the way forward in the rings to get a proper eye relief. So one ring is very close to the adjustment part, while the other is right back near the magnification ring. Is this okay? Or do you want the rings in the center portions of the scope as much as possible?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 06:28
Centered is preferred, but all is ok with your set-up. Some folks suggest (especially with very long, heavy tubes or hard kickers) using the widest, centered spacing possible for balance and support. I've never had any issues one way or another. In fact, I had a Ruger #1 that necessitated a rearward, uncentered mounting that worked just fine for years. It just depends on the scope tube length, ER, etc.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 08:31
Mostly it's important not to over-tighten the rings. In some scopes, that could bind the internals, especially near the turrets. 
Reaction time is a factor...
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 13:11
I agree with jono... I don't think placement matters as much as torque.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 18:17
+2 Jono.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 16:00
I tend to keep them away from the bells and the turrets, but especially away from the turrets due to that overtorque issue.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 10:35

Like they said, overtorquing is the biggest issue (at least I find)...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 11:20

Ring placement on the tube doesn't matter as long as the rings are gripping the straight tube diameter only and don't bite into the corner radiuses where the tube transitions to the eyepiece housing, objective bell, and turret housing.  Position the scope in the rings wherever you have to for eye relief and clearance for bolt handle and barrel.  As has already been mentioned, don't overtorque the rings, regardless of where they grip the tube.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 06:24

I do remember John Barsness having a problem with breaking reticles on 6X Leupolds because of the rear ring placement I believe.  I'll see if I can find the article.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 11:16
In principle, ring placement is not important if everything is set up properly.

However, there are a few caveats: in a few places along the tube (and this varies for different scopes), you can accidentally bind one of the moving components even if the ring is very slightly overtightened.  The most common problem like that is locking up side focus adjustment when the front ring is placed in a wrong spot.

Also, if the base or rings are very slightly misaligned, placing the rings as far as part as possible will minimize the torquing action and damage to the scope tube.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 11:50
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Also, if the base or rings are very slightly misaligned, placing the rings as far as part as possible will minimize the torquing action and damage to the scope tube.

ILya

Yep, excellent point.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 16:04
I can recall a conversation with John Barsness regarding some of Leupold's fixed power scopes and ring placement. Apparently on the 6x42, if the rear ring is tightened to much it can break the reticle cell as the reticle is located right at the locking ring where the threads start for the ocular assembly. Also with Leupold's short tubed fixed and variables like the 1.5-5x20, 1-4x20 and the straight power 2.5X, the front ring should not be directly over the objective lense and over tightened. I'm sure this applies to other brands too and not just Leupold's. I'm guilty of over tightening rings and now what I do if I feel that a hard kicker might shift do to recoil. I spray the inside of the ring surfaces with spray adhesive such as 3M light duty adhesive or, as was suggested by a friend that manages the gunsmithing operations at Griffin & Howe, I use rosin to prevent scope slippage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic