OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 12 ejection but not ejector problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 12 ejection but not ejector problem
    Posted: April/03/2011 at 13:52
Guys I have a stupid problem. I have my new Savage model 12 in 223 just about 2 weeks. Although i have come up with a reallllllly annoying problem. I went through found hte ammo it shoots most accurately, Hornady 223 53 grain superformance. So i been out blasting a away. The gun will only properly eject the spent case about 25-30% of the time. I was getting really frustrated. I did some research and looked on forums. Aparantlly people are having problems with the model 12 ejectors. Some people say they are throwing them really far. If i remember correctly I read that was how it was designed since alot of shooters are re-loaders savage didnt want people losing their cases. 

Mine sometimes wouldnt even grab the case, or it would pull it back and just just drop it instead of throwing it.  I was gonna call savage first thing monday. I told my uncle about it and he said to try a different brand of ammo. I had some empty corbon cases laying around. put them in there. 100% reliability,. perfect ejection, no matter what speed i worked the bolt.  So now i got a stupid problem.  I dont feel its the actual ejector its the hornady cases. I REALLY like my the superformance. Its insanely accurate. Far more accurate that the other. I do NOT reload.  So i can shoot it just deal with the superformance or shoot a round the gun shoots less accurately. unless anyone has suggestions for a fix.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 20:32
very interesting! You might try some other ammo to see if you can replicate the accuracy of the Hornady ammo, and the reliability of the Cor-bon. I would probably try Lake City next, maybe its the military style brass thats locking in better. If not, My personal preference would be for accuracy over reliable ejection.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 20:40
Yea i read alot of people having problems with the ejectors on the model 12's.  I mean is it really 100% ejector problem. Are there small devations in the case manufacturers? Do you all think it problem savage could fix with a different ejector.  
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 20:51
I really couldn't tell you, without looking at the rifle and ammo. The reason I suggested the different ammo is to try and isolate the problem. It might just be that particular lot of Hornady brass or the ejector on the rifle... I would most likely try more ammo myself, that would allow me to shoot more, and maybe isolate the problem.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 21:44
Yea i got i couple different types i will just have to mess with it and see what happens.

ram187 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ram187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 19:12
Call Savage and tell them your problem, they will accuse you of using hot loads or handloads. They will send you a kit to replace the bad spring and ejector but you have to play gunsmith.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 19:16
Yea i thought about that.. Not sure how to switch out an ejector.. might have to take it to local smith

biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2011 at 10:59
I think the spring is the weak point. Ive replaced mine twice now on my 110 ( I replace the ejector pin at the same time regardless of whether its broke). Both times it occurred while working up new loads. The first signs of high pressure coincided with the rifle failing to properly eject the case. If Savage doesn't send you the parts Numrich has them and they are not that expensive. The second time I had to do mine I ordered three sets of pins and springs so I would have spares.  It's not hard to do, it requires a small punch and a small hammer to drive out the retaining pin. The ejector pin can then be removed along with the spring. The spring can be a bit difficult if it is broke but I managed to fish it out with a small straight pin.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
seadog4109 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seadog4109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2016 at 22:01
The fix for my model 12 FCV .223 was to replace the stock extractor detent ball (3.15mm) with a larger one (3.5mm). Just a word of advice though - do the replacement with the bolt inside a stout plastic bag (not a thin freezer bag) as I have lost 1 ball fitting it without a bag, and one lost when the spring shot the ball through a thin freezer bag.) Now it ejects the cases well clear of the action.
Mouse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2016 at 12:10
If you have a friend who reloads ask him to measure the two cases to see what the differences are. Hornady usually has pretty good brass, it may be that you were just unlucky and got a bad lot of brass in the loads you were shooting.

Aside from that, if there are no differences I would say call savage and tell them the issue. They should take care of you. If they are only willing to send the parts don't sweat the difficulty of swapping them out, there are lots of videos and tutorials and if it's still to much to worry about a good gunsmith shouldn't charge ya to much to do such simple task.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2016 at 12:42

thread is 5+ years old guys

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2016 at 16:06
The OP's gun is probably been through 2 different owners and sitting in a pawn shop by now.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic