OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 x 44

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 x 44
    Posted: April/08/2011 at 18:53
I just got a new Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 x 44 with the mildot reticule. I mounted it on a Savage 12 in .223. I think I am in love! There are many things that impressed me about it, but the quality of workmanship followed by the clarity of the glass (no particular order). The clicks are very tacit precise. Now I just have to get some ammo loaded up and get out to the range for further fun!
Far Beyond Driven
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 18:55

This is the gun!
Far Beyond Driven
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 19:18
I wish I would have bought 10 of those when they were available.

I am a firm believer in that scope...
No one
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 19:56
I like mine so far.
Gerald Baker
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 14:01
Going to the range today. We'll see how it goes. I am really excited about this trip!
Far Beyond Driven
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 17:17
Need to know how your range session went with it.

Gerald Baker
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 21:03
All right, went to the range today and I was very impressed. First off, the area I live in does not have anything in the way of reloading. I had to take about 30 rounds of Lake City 62 grain FMJ and 20 rounds of PMC 62 grain FMJ. I stopped by the store and found a box of Hornady 75 grain TAP so that I could do a bit of actual accuracy work. The range is set up well with targets from 100 yards out to about 500. I used the scope to look at objects out to 500. The temp was 94 degrees with 25 mph winds and gusts up to 35 mph. In other words, just another fun day of shooting in SW Oklahoma. I bore sighted using just my eyes and the target. I didn't have to make much adjustment. First shot with FMJ was 2 inches low and 2 inches to the right at 100. I shot a few rounds to group just to see how the ammo was.   It was not the best, but wanted.to use the center of the group to make.my adjustments. After the group, I adjusted 2 inches up and 2 inches left and shot another group. The center of the group moved right around the center of the target. After a few more groups with the FMJ, I switched to the TAP. I picked a new target and shot for group. I was shooting off bipods and a handbag as a rear rest. The first 5 shot group was just at 1/2 moa. It was about 1 1/2 inches low and left of center. I made the appropriate number of clicks to get it centered and fired a second 5 shot group. It was right where I wanted to be, but about 1/2 an inch right of target and just a shade high. I made the adjustment left and set the cap for lineage, the came two clicks down. I shot a third 5 shot group and was dead nuts on for windage, but just a 1/4 inch low for elevation. I came up one click and set the turret to zero. Every adjustment I made took my point of impact exactly where it was supposed to go.   I was glassing objects at the five hundred yard mark and I was impressed by the level of detail that is was able to distinguish. The clicks were very positive. The turrets were not too hard nor to easy to turn. I could both feel and hear the clicks. The picture did darken ever so slightly on 20 power, but this is the max power, so a slight bit is to be expected. The edges of the glass were very clear and and crisp, no fish eye. Eye relief was pretty forgiving throughout the power range, though it was a bit sensitive on 20 power. I shot all of my groups on 14 power as this is the recommended power for mildot ranging. I was using a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper and did a quick range estimate based on the known size of the paper. I knew what the distance was, but wanted to see how good the mildot reticule was in the scope. The target was 100 yards away and my math said 102. I think that is good enough for me. Everything about the scope speaks of good workmanship. The picture is of one of the groups I.was able to shoot with the 75 grain TAP. The two holes on top are actually four shots and the hole.on the bottom is one I pulled. It just wouldn't be one of my groups if I didn't ruin it with a flyer!!! This is by no means anything like a real evaluation, just my experiences with this scope. I am definately getting another for an AR that I have. As a side note, another guy at the range showed up with an identical looking rifle in .300 win mag (Savage 12 bvss) sporting a Vortex PST in 6 x 24 with one of their EBR reticles that was illuminated. What a scope. He shot 168 grain matchkings, 81 grains of H-1000 and honest 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Looks like Savage rifles and Vortex optics are hard to beat in my opinion. P.S. the wind was really making it hard to group. The round in the picture is a .223 for a size reference. Hope this was helpful.

Far Beyond Driven
wozyman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wozyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 21:17
how do u create a forum
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 06:43
Great write up and lovely rifle, Sir! I love the laminated wood stocks on those Savages too.  
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 10:01
Thanks Cheaptrick. I normally don't go for laminated stocks, but this one was so pretty that I couldn't help myself!
Far Beyond Driven
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 14:10
Originally posted by Griffin99 Griffin99 wrote:

Thanks Cheaptrick. I normally don't go for laminated stocks, but this one was so pretty that I couldn't help myself!

I'm seriously considering the LH version of that rifle for my next project. Haven't decided on caliber yet, but .223 is pulling me awful hard. 
Really a nice looking set up you have there.
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 16:28
My Dad has the exact same rifle in .308. I shot next to a guy yesterday who had this exact rifle in .300 win mag. They are just so accurate out of the box that you can't go wrong with the caliber choice you make. They guy yesterday had a Vortex PST on his as well. Such a sweet set up all together. I'll let you borrow it if you like, just have to promise to give it back.
Far Beyond Driven
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 07:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Griffin99 Griffin99 wrote:

I'm seriously considering the LH version of that rifle for my next project. Haven't decided on caliber yet, but .223 is pulling me awful hard. 
Really a nice looking set up you have there.
I know where there is a nice savage 22-250 with a left hand port that you NEED!Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic