OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I shot this magnificent kudu!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I shot this magnificent kudu!!!!
    Posted: April/10/2011 at 08:26
I went to a game reserve some 3 hours drive away. I shot a magnificent kudu bull with my camera.

My guess is 60 + inches and should have a dressed carcass weight of around 220kg or 480lbs or so. He is bigggggggggggg!!

And a big bull made to look small by the bigggggg bul at top !!!

Edited by 8shots - April/10/2011 at 08:29
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 09:15
Excellent Pictures "8"!!!!!!!!!!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 09:21
    Great pics. I would like to do a photo safari some day. Perhaps You could reccomend an outfitter?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 09:33
Where were you??  Pilanesberg???  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 09:59
Hi Ed, no this is a National Reserve on the outskirts of Thabazimbi, Marakele National Park. My first time there, the game was in excellent condition and the bush pristine.

They had the big five, but the bush is so thick we only managed to see the rhino.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 10:04
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Great pics. I would like to do a photo safari some day. Perhaps You could reccomend an outfitter?

Yes "*8shots shutter safaris "

Only joking, but as always it begins with a budget. For a few $ I could take you around the game reserves, for a couple of thousand $ I could hook you up with the best of the best.

How long do you want to stay etc. Late winter that is around Aug Sep is often the best because the bush thins out a lot.

Otherwise just google and you are bound to find what you need.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 10:08
Another beautiful impala. Will also make Rowland.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 10:41
between kudu, and nyala, i dont know which i would wanna shoot more. ah hell with it i'll take em both.Big Grin they are both beautiful.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 18:03
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

between kudu, and nyala, i dont know which i would wanna shoot more. ah hell with it i'll take em both.Big Grin they are both beautiful.

Oh, what I would give to hunt Kudu.  Great pics, Wouter!
-Matt
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 19:03
Awesome pics as always 8s!!Excellent
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 19:47
Could'a taken a shot on an oryx this weekend, kinda regretting not.  Beautiful bull, he lives on though.

Such is life.

Very nice kudu.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 21:35
Real Nice pics Wouter!!
Beautiful Animals, As I get older, I doubt seriously I could shoot any of them myself. Glad to know they are somewhat protected, only way you could of gotten the pics if not, eh.
I saw a small herd of about 30 Elk this weekend, its nice to know they are always there. They were to far for a good pics though, with the hgear I have anyway..
I look forward to your pics man, Thanks for putting them yup for us.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 21:35
Beautiful kudu, Wouter!  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 22:06

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 22:12
 Congrats on some great shots... I am trying to work out a trip back this fall to Pietermaritzburg ,, Photos like yours  make me work a little harder to get the details figured out,
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 13:10
Great pics Wouter, beautiful animals. Jugding the the length of a Kudu's horns is one of the HARDEST things to do. From the front shot i'd say 48 inches to 50 inches, you really need to see a photo from the side to get a sense of the depth of the curls. If the first curl goes past the ear, with a good depth of curl you've got a shooter.

Regards Chris
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 14:05
Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

Great pics Wouter, beautiful animals. Jugding the the length of a Kudu's horns is one of the HARDEST things to do. From the front shot i'd say 48 inches to 50 inches, you really need to see a photo from the side to get a sense of the depth of the curls. If the first curl goes past the ear, with a good depth of curl you've got a shooter.

Regards Chris

Hi Glock, I have measured enough kudu to say this one is over 60 inches. This bull is massive, look at the size of the neck, which alone will way 60kg+. Look at the pic below. That is a adult cow made to look small by this bull.
And here is the sideways shot.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 18:50
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Hi Ed, no this is a National Reserve on the outskirts of Thabazimbi, Marakele National Park. My first time there, the game was in excellent condition and the bush pristine.

They had the big five, but the bush is so thick we only managed to see the rhino.

Cool.  I used to work drilling rigs between Thabazimbi and Northam.....out in the bundu.  I drove up to the rig one day, after fording a creek with the bakkie, and the tool pusher says to me: " Did you see a leopard down by the creek? "

And I said " No...I didn't see any leopard. "  Which was a good thing because I had all my windows down....

And he said: " Well, one of the boys just went down there to get some water and saw one at the creek....about five minutes ago. "   

Shocked

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 19:11
Ed, I've just about come to the conclusion you've been everywhere at one time or another!

Ever been to the moon?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 19:29
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Ed, I've just about come to the conclusion you've been everywhere at one time or another!

Ever been to the moon?

Excellent photoshop opportunity.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic