OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I shot this magnificent kudu!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 19:33
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 19:59
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Ed, I've just about come to the conclusion you've been everywhere at one time or another!

Ever been to the moon?

No.    Laugh

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 03:35
Heh Wouter I havent shot enough Kudu to claim to be an expert. But one off my Best freinds definately has shot enough Kudu to at least know what he is talking about. If you had put the side photo on with the first one, I would have uped my estimate to 55 inches. Like I said it's one off the hardest things to judge, and the only way you would know for sure. Would be to shoot him and get the measuring tape out. I showed your photo's to my freind who has shot more Kudu than I have shot Impala, without telling him what you think or I think. And his guess is roughly the same as mine. Measure a Kudu's ear, it is roughly 9 inches, that gives you a base line to start guessing.

As for the weight I never disagreed with you, In my opinoin I nice Kudu; Rowlandward mabye. But not 60 inches plus.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 11:22

Glock, I've called on my friend a PH whom I trust. I have given no info re our guesses. Just the pics and the question.

Will let you know what I hear.

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 14:33
Wouter it will good to hear what a PH guess is, I showed a few people as well who are really big into hunting. They all guessed between 50 and 56 inches. But after all we are all only guesing. Until he is meat on a plate and horns on a wall, we won't know for sure. Here are a few pics of a Kudu that was no 5 in Rowland Ward in 1994, shot by Dennis Erasmus in Groblersdal the freind I was on about. 3 years ago we seen he was ranked no 22, so there are still BIG Kudu out there. Hopefully I will get to bag one soon

Sorry guys he isn't the best photoghrapher

Now this guy is over 60 inches

He is 64 inches to be precise
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 14:37
Excellent
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 11:20
I hate it I hate it to eat humble pie.

The PH is coming up with 55 inches and a mass of 210kg. (OK so what is 5 inches and 10kg amongst friends !!)

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 12:52
8shots thanks for the info, I've found my friends ear method to be resonably accurate. I find Kudu really hard to get right, my friend used to regulary test me on Kudu horn lengths. Sometimes I was spot on and other times really out.

Are you going to the Huntex this weekend? Think it should be better than the Aim show, unfortunately I have to go friday so I wont get chance to shoot the 50 cal rifle from Truvelo.

Regards Chris
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 13:42
Hi Chris,
Yes I got this one a bit wrong, it is missing the final bit for a full second turn.

I went to the Aimshow last year and will get to the Huntex on Sat. Should be quite good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic