OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is there a 1-8x or 1-10x scope out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt_gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a 1-8x or 1-10x scope out there?
    Posted: April/21/2011 at 23:19
The title says it all. Is there a 1-8x or 1-10x scope out there that doesn't cost over $2k? I just stumbeled upon the IOR 2-12x32, and I have to say it's almost what I'm looking for. The only thing I've seen is the 'Counter Sniper' brand offered in Spotsman's Guide, and I know it isn't what I'm looking for in terms of quality. I'm currently bouncing between an M68 CCO with a magnifier, and the TA01 ACOG. Both are good options, but I'm finding 4x is a bit limiting in terms of presicion shooting outside of 100 yards. I'm pretty knowledgable on optics and I used to sell very high end camera equipment, so I'm familiar with high end glass. An 8x or 10x zoom range is on the upper end of current optic technology, so is what I'm looking for even an option, or am I chasing the wifflepoof?  TIA.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 23:41
You DO NOT want the "counter sniper", SGT.  Warn off...
for a 1-10, March is the only one I know of right now.  About $2500+.  Good quality, though...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 23:42
Welcome

Not exactly what you're after, but well south of 2k and good glass.

http://swfa.com/Minox-15-8x32-ZA5-Riflescope-P48151.aspx

The IOR's are really nice and south of 2k

Ilya would know who's working on what you're after if anyone is.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
sgt_gold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt_gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 23:50
Forgot to add I need FFP and would prefer some kind of MIL ranging on the cross hairs. I know it's a lot, but I can't see myself needing more than about 10x on the upper end and would really loke 1x on the CQB side.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 00:05
SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD14X24T
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated T (Post/Mil-Scale)
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
  • Exposed Turrets
  • Submersible
  • Operating Temp. -5 - 160 Fahrenheit
  • 23 mils of total travel
$799.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/22/2011 at 00:06

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 00:07
I know it is not what you want on the high end but it would probably do most of what you want.
really need the higher power how about this model.
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/22/2011 at 00:08

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sgt_gold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt_gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 00:38
The Vortex 1-4x is nice, but I doesn't do anything that my ACOG can't. If I'm going to ditch both my M68 and my ACOG, I need a do it all optic.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 07:34
Originally posted by sgt_gold sgt_gold wrote:

Forgot to add I need FFP and would prefer some kind of MIL ranging on the cross hairs.

FFP probably won't work too well on a high zoom ratio scope, which is why the current 6:1 - 10:1 zoom scopes all have SFP.  Because of the drastic change in magnification between the bottom and top of the range, it would be difficult to design a practical FFP reticle that would be usable at both extremes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 08:16
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 08:56
And it does have the FFP reticle too.  I wasn't aware of that fact.  I like the way they scaled the center portion of the reticle for ranging at high power combined with the intermediate section scaled for low power ranging.

But... that price tag!  Sheesh!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 09:06
http://swfa.com/Premier-Heritage-11-8x24-Tactical-34mm-Riflescope-P45504.aspx
Only the last one is less than $2000. And it has 6x on the top end. Rumor has it that IOR is also coming out with a 1-8x24, but I didn't see it listed with SWFA yet. But it also going to be in the 2k+ range.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 10:43
IOR is coming out with a 1-10x24 (I saw it at SHOT) with two reticles FFP and SFP.  I am not sure when it is going to be available and or how it will work in production.  The prototypes I saw were pretty nice.

Premier has a 1.1-8x24 that should be available later this year.  I saw a couple of generations of prototypes and this is probably my favourite of the top end 1-8x scopes.

S&B has a 1-8x24 on the way which also looked quite good and it is trimmer than the Premier.

Leupold has the above mentioned SQBSS, but they are mostly aiming it at the military, so if they never sell one to a civilian they will be perfectly happy (hence the pricetag).

There is a crop of 1-6x24 FFP scopes coming down the pike later this year that should priced right around the $1k mark.  Pride Fowler is one of the first.

Bushnell is going to have a FFP 1-6.5x24 later this year (I liked the prototype).

GRSC has a 1-6x24 as well.  Once again, I played with the prototype and liked it.

Sightron has a 1-7x24 coming out (that one is a SFP design).

I suspect there will be others.  Since March came out with a 1-10x24 scope, everyone made it a point to reverse engineer it.  I know of at least two Japanese companies that have a couple of 1-10x and 1-11x prototypes floating around.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 10:55
From looking at the designs of some of these new reticles, it appears they have solved or at least partially solved the "too small on the low end, too large on the high end" issue with FFP reticles in high zoom scopes.

Kewl!
Ted

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 11:03

Also take into consideration that how bright the image will appear depends on the objective size divided by what power the scope is set at.  In low light bright scopes are 6x42 or 7x50 or 8x56. So you may need to dial power down to be able to use the scope at all in low light unless the objective is about 40 + mm. Even a 44mm at 10x would be a 4.4 mm exit eye pupil where 7mm is bright.  If you were at 8x with a 24mm objective like the Leupold you only have a 3mm exit eye pupil so you wont be able to see well in low light which is when stuff happens.  Crank it up to 6x with a 42mm objective you have a 7mm exit eye pupil so that is as bright as it gets.  If you could sacrifice just a tad on the low end this is an awesome choice.

US Optics 1.8-10x44 SN-3 30mm RiflescopeUS Optics 1.8-10x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN3I
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#3 M40 Style 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Upgrade Parallax Control
$2,223.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/22/2011 at 11:20

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 11:11
I would have a really hard time suggesting ditching the ACOG rather I would suggest supplimenting the ACOG by using quick release mounts and carry multiple optics to allow you to engage at different distances.  I primarily run two compact ACOG's  one is a 1.5x amber triangle and is my favorite the other is a 3x red crosshair.  Everything changes when the target is out past 300yds so having a higher magnification optic for both target identification, viewing and engagement makes a lot of sense. I just dont think anything works as well up close as the ACOG and the CCO (Comp M4s).  
Shown with 6x42 Super Sniper  3x Compact ACOG and Comp M4s in La Rue quick detachable mounts.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 12:31
I would much rather have a variable scope than have to carry around 2 or 3 optics that have to be taken on and off the gun.  What a pain that could be.

These new 1-8xs are going to give some great versatility to the shooters. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 12:36
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I would much rather have a variable scope than have to carry around 2 or 3 optics that have to be taken on and off the gun.  What a pain that could be.

These new 1-8xs are going to give some great versatility to the shooters. 

I am with you on that.

By the way, here is another option that does not get enough publicity:

ILya
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 15:02
I'd be happy with any of the 3 Frnd. Shocked
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
sgt_gold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt_gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 16:47
I want to thank everyone for thir input to this thread. I was hoping that with more of a demand for the 1-8x type scope, there would be a corresponding drop in price. It appears that the optic I'm looking for will become available later this year, or early next year. Given that I already own a TA01 ACOG, an ML2, and a micro Aimpoint I shouldn't have any problems fliping some or all of my toys to fund the next purchase.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 13:45
If Hensoldt doesn't offer it then my next choice without question would be the S&B short dot.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic