OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Walmart to sell guns again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 09:22
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

The Walmart here in Soddy Daisy has always sold guns and usually has a decent supply of ammo.  The can also order guns for you, they have a catalog to choose from.  I bought my first rifle, a Savage 110 in 270 from them in 1995 and it has served me well.  The selection in the usually very budget minded, but the catalog has some nicer items.  I usually can get a better deal from a few of the local gun shops, but I do buy ammo when they have 45 or 9mm in stock. 

What a co-incidence!  I too bought my first rifle, a savage 110 package deal in .270 from Wally World for $377.  WW pulled all the guns out of the immediate Baltimore area stores. luckliy they stiil sell them in the Fredrick, MD stores.  It will be good to see them back in the Hanover, pa stores!

Personally I think WW has shot it's wad and will start fading just like Sears only faster.  I've noticed they have severely cut back on their sales and general pricing has gone up to the point where there is little or no difference in pricing with the competition.  So I rarely go there in the last few months.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 09:39
I used that 270 exclusively until 2005 when I got my 7mm-08, it then became my back-up gun.  The only thing that I have done to it was upgrade the scope.  My Dad has used it the last two years to hunt with because his Winchester 100 is wearing out.  I finally convinced him to retire the 100 when I bought him a TC Venture.  The Savage has been a great gun and I will likely never get rid of it.

I too have noticed that Walmarts prices have been on the up-swing.  I check their prices versus the other local chains and buy where ever is cheapest, but sometimes the convenience is hard to pass up when you have two youngsters, ages 2 and 5.     
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 09:55
Convenience is the biggest thing WW has going for them.  If you remember as they were ramping up and expanding like mad they preached we sell "Made in America" products, what happened to that???  I have also seen the TV special and have seen how totally cutthroat they are with their suppliers, going so far as to purposely running some out of business with the would play WW's game.  I think the WW have hurt and forever changed the retail shopping world in the US and not for the better!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:20
I have first hand experience with being a Walmart supplier/vendor.  I used to work for a used oil recycling company, very small business, but we landed a contract to pickup Walmarts used oil.  They would hold our drivers up for hours because the Manager was too busy to come and unlock the tank.  When the contract ended, we were more than happy to let it go.

We used to have a Winn Dixie where I lived and that was basically the only place we would shop, then they opened the Super Walmart and they went under.  We are now limited to Bi-Lo, Food Lion, and Publix in the local area.  There aren't any other smaller stores around any more. 

I agree with you Bud, Walmart has pretty much destroyed retail shopping. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic