OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD
    Posted: April/30/2011 at 21:12
OK, I guess it's out:  http://www.opticstalk.com/new-ss-5x20-cat-out-of-the-bag_topic28886_post411665.html#411665

I hear some might want some more pics?   Enjoy:

And to the reticle. 

5X

10X

20X

Closup:

I've only had it a short time but have made it to the range once:

At 100 yds:

5X

10X

20X

At 300 Yds:

5X

10X

20X

After a few shots at 100 I moved to 300 and these were the groups:

A couple 2"ers, 8 of my last 10 shots went into the 2" center of the bull which is pretty good for a gas gun.  The scope gets it done very easily.

Here's the illumination:

Reticle checked for straightness and click value measured right on as accurately as I can measure.  About 33.5 Mils of total elevation adjustment.  In the 20 MOA AADMOUNT I've got 22.5 Mils of up left from my 100 yd zero.

Glass is OUTSTANDING!  I'll have more comments soon.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 21:24
Thanks Jon! I am really looking forward to your review!Excellent
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 21:27
I'm eating this up...

DID I HEAR YOU CORRECTLY 33MILS???

I'm in...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - April/30/2011 at 21:40
No one
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 22:05
It looks fantastic.  I was hoping it would have 30+ mils. 

Jon you take some excellent pics.  Great job. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 22:19
I'm thinking that will be enough for any application I would throw at it.  
No one
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 22:21
Great pic's Jon.Can't wait for the review,the cost & arrival date.Me thinks it's going to be my Christmas gift Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 22:50
I need a tissue. Embarrased
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 23:06
Very exciting!!!!!!!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 23:13
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I need a tissue. Embarrased
Wiping up tears of joy, I presume.

Man, that scope gets better and better as the details come out.
Reaction time is a factor...
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 23:41
Man that looks sweet!!!!  Thanks for the great pictures.  Looking forward to the full review.

Chris, put me on the list for one of the final production models.  It will replace the Black Diamond on my 300 WM.

Edited by helo18 - April/30/2011 at 23:47
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 23:48
This looks VERY interesting ...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 10:47
That's the one I've been waiting for!  Looks fantastic!  I will have one!

Thanks for posting, Jon!

BTW, how do you like the American Spirit side charger upper?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 10:54
Excellent!!!  Excellent

Congrats to Chris and team on the new (and much anticipated) SS scope. Once again great job Jon on testing, documenting, and reviewing these new SS products!! I'd love to read ILya's review once he receives one as well.

Edited by mike650 - May/01/2011 at 16:49
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 11:23
Thanks for the great pics and descriptions Jon!
It is too hard for me to tell from the pictures, but do you think this tactical scope would work for PD's. Does the reticle get too large when the power is cranked up? The only experience I have is with the 3-9SS and when on 9X it is not too much for coyotes.
Doug
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 15:22
A couple specs people have been asking about:  It's about 14.6" long, 31.5 oz, 30mm tube, very similar to the F1 in size/overall envelope.  This prototype has no zero stop but they are working on one.

The eyebox is as good or better than any of the ~20X scopes I have around, certainly no problems there.  The eye relief is quite long, especially on 20X at around 4".  It's eye relief doesn't stay perfectly constant but doesn't change as much as some brands throughout the power range.   Since it actually gets a little bit longer on high powers it's not something you notice in a negative way.

I don't yet have any info on price/availability.

Glass quality in low light, etc......  I have done some comparing:

Of those the one that compares is the IOR.  It's noticably better than the Weaver 4-20 and PST 6-24. 

For those who have the 3.5-18, you know how good it is.  I found it very close in most measures to my Premier in the past:

Between the IOR and the SS, they're so close I can't really declare a winner.  Resolution wise I can't tell which one is better.  Staring at a chart through one I'll think it's better, then staring at the chart through the other I'll think it's better.  They're that close.  The IOR seems to have more of a contrasty "pop" to the image which might give it more of a "warm fuzzy to the eyeball" view in good light.  But the more neutral colors of the SS make it nicer to look through in low light.

In short, good freaking glass. 

Here are a couple pics I tried to show the low light/illumination in action.  This was a good 30 minutes after official sundown so it's pretty darn dark.  The camera makes it look lighter than it really is.  The pole is around 300 yds away:

IOR on 10X:

SS on 10X:

IOR on 18X:

SS on 20X:

Keep in mind you can't judge the optical quality via the pics as they're both better than my picture taking makes them look.  However, you can't take a good pic through a bad scope and every time I look at that last pic of the SS it's just amazing to me the detail it picks up at 300 yds in the dark!  A lot of higher powered scopes that look OK in the day time really take a crap when you crank the power up in low light, there's no hint of that with this one.

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Thanks for the great pics and descriptions Jon!
It is too hard for me to tell from the pictures, but do you think this tactical scope would work for PD's.

If PD's is all you want to do, of course a SFP scope with a thinner reticle is the natural choice.  However this scopes reticle is pretty thin as FFP goes, covering less than 1" at 500 yds so it should do well.  If that PD is really little and really far away, you can crank the turrets 1 mil in any direction and use the little dot inside one of the diamonds.  At .03 Mil diameter it's tiny.
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

BTW, how do you like the American Spirit side charger upper?

I like it a lot.  It's perfect for a rifle primarily used bench/prone with a big scope on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 15:41
This is truly lookin Bitchin! 
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 15:54
I forgot to mention, the clicks feel as good as I've felt on anything.  Very positive, snappy with a very loud metallic clicking sound on each one.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 15:56
Thanks for the nice photos.  I look forward to having one in hand which will undoubtedly take several months to get production in gear but it is truely encouraging having the prototype exist. It probably shoud go to Ilya ASAP when your done.

Looker    I'll be looking for mine.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 16:28
My vote would be for ILya next as well.  Between him and JonA we should have the best reviews out there.  Just as long as they will put my name on one of the first production runs so I can get one as soon as possible. 

I like the reticle design with the illuminated dot.  Nice touch.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 16:30
Really looking forward to knowing how much I have to save for this scope... I do better with a goal!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic