OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vortex viper pst vs weaver tactical opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilikeguns111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vortex viper pst vs weaver tactical opinions
    Posted: May/08/2011 at 11:45

Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP vs weaver tactical 3-15x FFP

Which one do you think I should go with there are both similarly priced and equipped.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.

I hear the weaver has better glass

But I think the vortex has more features?

I would someone more knowledgeable than me to chim in that maybe has experience with both scopes.

gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2011 at 11:58
I chose the Weaver, once I decided that I just could not wait for the PST.

I love the glass, and the reticle is a far sight better than a simple Mil-Dot reticle. It also tracks as true as the Super Sniper it replaced. The only downside to the Weaver is the lack of a zero stop, but the same could be said for scopes costing much more than the Weaver.

If you do choose to go with the PST, I urge you to only go for one of the 24X models. It is becoming clear that the 16X models have noticeably inferior glass.

That is my two cents...
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
captainjoe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 06:36
I have been looking at the same question. The Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50  on paper sounds very good, particularly because at it's price point you are getting mechanical zero stops. However, the glass on the PST has been disappointing. I am looking at the Weaver Tactical because for a bit less money, I'm happy to do away with the zero stops in order to get better glass. Plus the enhanced mil-dot reticle seems sufficient enough.

Would love to hear anyone's opinion on this.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 06:39
Welcome to Optics Talk, Captain!  Salute 
captainjoe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 06:58
Thank you. I have been lurking around for some time reading the forums, but decided to register today. Great resource!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 07:00
Glad you did! 
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 14:13

I owned a Weaver Tactical 3-15X50 mil/moa mil-dot FFP and the glass on it and the eye relief is outstanding.  When I checked out The New Weaver Tactical 3-15X50 mil/mil EMDR FFP at SHOT Show I knew it is going to be one of the best deals in optics in 2011.  

IMO it is better than the PST. Well I think they are still developing the PST but when it gets here I am pretty sure the Weaver is better.  Wink 

I just received the New Weaver Tactical and will be doing a review hopefully around October.

And yes I have seen, used and tested out the Viper PST in 1-4 and 6-24 and they are really good scopes.

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 16:04
weaver CS isn't great though. vortex is hard to beat in that repect.
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 20:51
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

weaver CS isn't great though. vortex is hard to beat in that repect.

I don't know about sending something in but I've spoken with thier techs quite a bit recently about specs, rebates, sunshades and such and found them to be outstanding thus far.

I have the 3-15x50 FFP EMDR and I love it. I did a review on it a few weeks back. Also the Weaver rebate applies to the Tacticals as well. They are part of the SuperSlam line.

I eceived my check two days ago. So you can get a 3-15x50 FFP EMDR for $689 after rebate, I did! I would put a note in with your rebate coupon stating Weaver told you they are part of the SuperSlam line as I did and no problem at all. It states this on thier website as well.

Andrew
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 07:47
ive owned my weaver for about 5months and have about 1,000 rounds thro it. I have run the elevation from top to bottom many times and it always returns to zero. My only complaint at first but now i dont mind it, is the turrets on the weaver are very easy to turn (in comparison to my SS 3-9) but they also lock when youre done with them so you dont have to worry about them accidently moving on you. Not sure on your application, but the reticle on the weaver is also pretty fine which i like since im only shooting paper and steel targets (not sure what its like on the PST).
I dont think you can go wrong with either the PST or the weaver, i just got tired of waiting on the PST so i went with the weaver. Now im waiting on my SWFA SS 5-20x50 from the group buy but im in no hurry on that one since i dont even have a rifle to put it on.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 20:17
I just got in a Weaver 3-15 tactical yesterday to test
I have been running a 1-5 on a 3 gun build for a while and am pretty happy with it.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic