OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for advice on Nikon scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarantino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for advice on Nikon scopes
    Posted: May/23/2011 at 16:38
I'm beginning to look for a new rifle scope, and would like some advice. I'm thinking about getting a Nikon Monarch Gold. Is Nikon a good brand to go with? I've heard that its a good choice. Also, is $680 a good price? I'm looking for something long range and with good picture quality at dusk or dawn. 

Thanks
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 16:52
Welcome to the OT Forum. To answer your question, Nikon's are good choices to be sure. However, there are MANY great scope choices out there. Provide us with some more info (usage such as hunting vs. target, quarry, ranges, terrain, etc) and you'll likely get lots of suggestions. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tarantino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarantino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 17:28
Thank you, 
I'm hunting deer at a resort at about 200-400yds. I'm actually new to hunting only having gone with my dad years ago.  I was talking on another forum about this and everyone agreed Nikon is great but I also saw a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope that looks decent. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 05:47
The Zeiss Conquests are very good choices. Additionally, check out Sightron Big Sky, Meopta Meopro, Minox ZA3 or ZA5 scopes or Bushnell Elites. Among those, you will be in business. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 11:28
Agree with Bugs, need more info. Cal. of rifle, 200-400 yards should be fine for any quality scope.
Do you want a  (BDC) Bullet Drop Compensating Reticle to help with bullet drop at longer distances?
Conditions you will be hunting in,clouds,rain,snow, ealry morning,late evening. All these facotrs come into play when choosing a hunting optic and of course how much do you want ot spend ?When I help someone find a Nikon Scope I do my best to stay within the $ amount they want to spend. No use having a budget if you're not gonna stick t it, then again, as my Grand Father used to tell my Grand Mother, The quality Stays in long after the price is forgotten. 
Feel free to drop me a note if I can provide you with more information T.
Bart

E-mail  bbk940@verizon.net
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 14:29
I would second the more info comments above. I will add one bit of caution though. Being a new hunter and I am assuming shooter, be sure you understand how the various BDC reticles work and change as you change the power setting on your scope before buying one. They sound neat but most are designed to work at max power and as the power decreases the amount of holdover changes pretty dramatically to the point of being practically useles imho. Ymmv of course but I don't see the magic in them myself so go in informed before you buy.
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 14:33
Powder,
Have you ever looked at Nikon's Spot On web site?
It's a free site that will give you all the shooting info you could ever want for the specific load and
Nikon scope. It's pretty amazing. I've turned a lot of guys on to the site and made believers out of them.

Go to Nikonhunting.com,
click the Spot On logo upper right corner.
Check it out and let me know what you think.
It'll give you distances for each magnification setting not just Max. power.

Try it, I'll think you'll like it!

Greyfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 15:56
I bought my first Nikon in 98. It is a 2x7 Monarch UCC. It has been a dependable solid scope on several rifles over years. It has survived a 300 Weatherby and 150 grain muzzle loader charges. There are no flys on the scope I have been able to find. Nikon is a good solid manufacturer.
tarantino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarantino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 17:37
I'm definitely doing research before a buy, so I found a nikon monarch scope with a BDC reticle.
Problem is it's a little out of my price range, around $800. I was planning on spending around $700 but as the bullet drop is crucial should I go ahead and pick a scope with bdc or should I look into a more light-focus reticle as I plan on hunting in the early morn... usually good, sunny weather in my area by the way.
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 18:05
T., I think an excellent Nikon Scope for you woud be the Monarch in 4-16x50 BDC, also available in a 42 mm obj  for roughly $500 Retail . This is an excellent scope and will serve you well for many years to come. If sun/glare is going to be an issue I would suggest getting a sunshade also.
As I stated above, I would encourage you to take a look at Nikon's Spot On web site for more info. on your scope/rifle/ammo .

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/monarch/4-16x50_Side_Focus_BDC_RETICLE/8440

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 20:08
One + for the Zeiss in your application is that they have very dark reticles.  That could be real handy in low-light situations.

HTH
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 22:20
the buckmaster by nikon are good scope the prices are under $ 400
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 06:43
bman went there and that site requires you to register and I get enough junk emailed to me now so I'll pass. I have tinkered around with those types of drop tables though and the mechanics are the same. My dislike of BDC reticles is on variable scopes. If you look at most say 3x9's if the first mark is for 200yds and the 2nd is 300 yds while at 9x using your trusty 270 load ,when you turn it down to 3x the first mark will be probably somewhere around 450 yds and the second will probably be 650yds . I just don't want to have to carry around a conversion matrix on an index card that I have to reference so that I can fiddle around with my scope before taking a shot. As I said YMMV but it is easier for me to estimate the yardage and then use the animals body size to estimate my hold over as in well I expect the bullet to be 12" low so I'll hold about 1/2 a deer (7"8") over the spine which should give me a center of body hit. Actually in my 35years I have learned to zero about 3" high at 100yds and pretty much always shoot at hair as this gives me a PBR of 0-300yds and where I hunt deer then that's far enough. I will say on a fixed power scope the bdc's are OK. Also maybe on a varmint rifle where you have plenty of time to do the calculations on the PD hole but for a general hunting rifle I don't like the concept or the clutter in my scope.

Where does your rig indicate the yardage to the first mark is at 9x and then at 3x using this calculator?

Edited by powderburn - May/25/2011 at 06:45
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 07:18
Not sure I understand your question.
Registering on Spot On is just so Nikon knows who is using the site. You will not be getting junk e-mails from them. They also need to make sure you have Java on your comp. as that is what runs Spot On.
In one of the applications in SPot On you can print out a table about 2 in. x 4 in. and save it for the field, I laminate it and put it on my stock. It gives you the distance for each circle at each magnification setting. 
You can also get drop in MOA and clicks. You can even enter wind speed and direction if you want to. I have this on my iPhone as well for field use especially when coyote hunting.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 08:23
What I'm asking is what does the distance for the first circle at 9x and what is it for 3x. If you need an example of a rifle take a std 270 130gr bullet at 3000fps and a 100yd zero.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 09:48
Originally posted by bman940 bman940 wrote:

Not sure I understand your question.
Registering on Spot On is just so Nikon knows who is using the site. You will not be getting junk e-mails from them. They also need to make sure you have Java on your comp. as that is what runs Spot On.
In one of the applications in SPot On you can print out a table about 2 in. x 4 in. and save it for the field, I laminate it and put it on my stock. It gives you the distance for each circle at each magnification setting. 
You can also get drop in MOA and clicks. You can even enter wind speed and direction if you want to. I have this on my iPhone as well for field use especially when coyote hunting.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/
You still need a 'driod app.

I've been registered on the site since I found out about.  Have never received an email from Nikon...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 11:02
Thanks Kick. Nikon is very protective of their e-mail lists and will continue to be so.

Look for the Droid App for Spot On in the next 2 months!
Should be big, I bet we have had requests 10-1 Droid over Apple.
Be patient,almost there!
Thanks,
tarantino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarantino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 16:08
SpotOn is great a idea, I'll  be using it for sure along with the distance table, thank you bman!
About the Monarch 4-16x50, that's a good find man, the price is better and I can work with it. I'll have another look around, but I already think that's the one I'll go with!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 20:49
http://swfa.com/Burris-4-16x50-Black-Diamond-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P3577.aspx so many good scopesavailable in that price range heres another to throw in the mix, good luck
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 08:34
Powder, 
Check out my photo buket link. It will show you just a bit of the information you can get from 
Nikon's Spot On web site. This field reference chart is taken from the info you requested, .270, 130 gr. Winchester Ballistic Silvertips at 3050 fps. 
I hope this show's you just how important a tool Spot On can be for hunting/shooting?
Nikon has gone to great lenths to make sure just about any caliber you can imagine is in their Ballistic Program as well as other information our consumers requested. 
Henece the Android App which as I said should be out int he next 2 months.

I hope this helps answer some of the concerns you have about BDC reticles? 
I and dozens of my friends have had the pleasure of shooting Nikon Scopes ( Prostaff,Buckmaster and Monarch's) out to 600 yards utilizing the Spot On Ballistic Info. Believe me, there were some skeptics, but when guys are hitting 4 inch jars of tannerite at 600 yards, it kind of makes them a believer! 
All out of the box stock rifles too. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic