OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Problem Solved: Weaver illumination too bright

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_deerhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem Solved: Weaver illumination too bright
    Posted: May/23/2011 at 17:24
So I have seen on several reviews that the illuminated dot on the Weaver Extreme is too bright for night hunting. I don't know how this affects other Weaver models. I had the same problem, but I think I have it solved.

The scope uses a Lithium battery (CR2032) at 3V, so I figured if I could cut the voltage, it would dim the light. I finally found an alkaline battery that is 1.5V, that is the same thickness as the CR2032 -- the LR54. It is only a little over half the diameter (11.4mm vs the 20mm CR2032), but it still makes positive contact in any position that it could move around in the slot for the 2032. Just about everywhere it can slide to, it still covers at least a third of the contacts.

So I tried it out tonight, and the illumination is now perfect. When it clicks on, it not really visible, but I start making it out when I get to about 3-4, and when it gets up to 11 it is bright enough to illuminate the horizontal crosshair -- which is where it starts out with a 3v battery.

Anyway, a more elegant solution would have been to find some type of resistor to go between the positive terminal of the battery and the contact on the scope, but for now this will do.
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 07:02
Where did you find the LR54? I have the same scope, same problem.
dr_deerhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_deerhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 09:17
I found it in the Media Markt - sort of like a Best Buy. The battery is also sold under the designation SR54, AG10, SG10, 189, 387, 389, 390, LR1130 and SR1130 (according to Wikipedia).

Looks like you can get them pretty cheap from Amazon if you can't find them locally. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_deerhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 09:24
I can't find a way to delete my last post, but I just discovered that SWFA sells batteries. So check with them and they might be able to get one for you. I have called them up from Germany and they are friendly and helpful. If they don't have it, I'm sure they could get it for you.

Ask for one of these designations: LR 54, SR54, AG10, SG10, 189, 387, 389, 390, LR1130 and SR1130.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 11:39
There is a post here were I helped someone fab up a resistor wafer to place between battery and contacts.  You might have to go to a 2025 battery which is same diameter as 2032 but thinner.
I'll try and find that post for you.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 12:03
Here it is.  The advantage of using this is longer battery life using the 2025 or 2016 over the LR54.

Give it a read and see what you think.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 13:17
dr- you need 50 post in order  to modify anything!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_deerhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 15:55
OK, but I was trying to delete it, because I didn't realize when I posted it that SWFA sold those batteries. I know it is against the terms of use to post references to their competitors, I just didn't realize they are competing in that arena. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic