OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Fullfield II issues?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunt127588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Fullfield II issues?
    Posted: January/10/2006 at 09:20
Anyone seen or heard of Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scopes having problems holding zero? I put one of these on a CZ 550 .243 rifle and after having the gun bedded, I'm still seeing random shot groupings. I had a friend shoot it and he saw the same issues. I checked the scope mounts and they are tight. Just wondering if the scope is the issue. This scope was the one purchased with the promo spotting scope for $199.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2006 at 11:10

Any company can let a bad scope out the door, but...  Have you tried different loads?  I'm assuming you can't be sure it's not the rifle, and the only way to really tell is put another scope on it. 

More than likely something is loose in the Burris.  I've had a FFII 3-9X40 on a .260 for a couple of years and it has never changed point of impact.

Burris has been pretty quick about returning scopes sent for repair.  While it's sent off you could put another scope on it and check that out.   Good luck with it.

2ndtimer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 02:47
Originally posted by hunt127588 hunt127588 wrote:

Anyone seen or heard of Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scopes having
problems holding zero? I put one of these on a CZ 550 .243 rifle and
after having the gun bedded, I'm still seeing random shot groupings. I
had a friend shoot it and he saw the same issues. I checked the scope
mounts and they are tight. Just wondering if the scope is the issue.
This scope was the one purchased with the promo spotting scope for $199.

You should try a different scope of known quality on the rifle before you assume the scope is the problem. You might also try the Burris scope on a rifle of known accuracy to test it as well. I'm not saying it couldn't be the scope, I am just saying there are other possibilities. I have 2 of the Burris Fullfield II 3x9 scopes and they have been working fine for over 2 years mounted on a .270WSM and 6.5x55 Swede. And yes, they also were purchased as part of the spotting scope package deal.
Have you tried some different loads? My Swede is very picky as to bullet weight, won't shoot anything less than 120 gr in weight, and decent accuracy doesn't really start until I go up to 129 gr or heavier. Just something else to consider.
hunt127588 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunt127588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 09:11
I have tried every bullet weight from 80-100 gr. in Federal, Remington and Winchester and nothing has grouped well consistently. When I say well, I mean I wasn't even able to get a consistent 1.5 MOA. Here is the weird thing though...When I shot my first 3 rounds the others day, they were 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. but 4" low and 1/2" right of my target. I went back to the scope and made 16 clicks up and 2 clicks left. My next three shots were all over the paper and I feel that they were good shots from my end. From there, any adjustments made seem to be magnified (i.e. 4 clicks did not equal 1 inch @ 100 yds.).
2ndtimer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 11:37
Is the barrel full floated? Can you slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the forend up to the action? If the barrel is touching the stock, when it heats up it can make shots wander. Are you allowing time for the barrel to cool between groups? Have you tried "squaring the scope"? (Firing 2 or 3 shots at the target, adusting the scope 4 clicks up, more shots, then 4 clicks left, more shots, 4 clicks down, more shots, 4 clicks right and see it the groups form a square, and hopefully landing your last shots into your first group. Of course letting the barrel cool between groups helps the group sizes. IF you can try a different scope on the rifle, and suddenly your groups are consistent, by all means, send the Burris back with a letter explaining the problem. I will be interested to hear how their customer service department treats you. I have heard opposite stories of their responsiveness, and am curious what their current service level is.
As to the 4 clicks not equalling exactly 1 inch, I don't think mine are exactly precise either, but they are close and have been repeatable, so I have been happy with mine. Good luck and keep us posted.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 13:10
It sounds more and more like a scope problem, but you really need to put another scope on it and see what it does.  Does it consistently shoot a good group the first few shots?  If so, it's probably not a scope problem, but rather a barrel problem.  Something is getting too dirty or too hot faster than normal.
hunt127588 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunt127588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2006 at 21:18
To answer a couple questions....Yes, I had a bedding job performed (and trigger job) on this gun and a dollar bill will slide cleanly up to the receiver. As for squaring the scope, I'm not getting near the accuracy to try this. My shots are doing good if I get 2MOA. As for consistently shooting good the first few shots, it does not. That was one reason why my 1st three shots last weekend _really_ surprised me....They were approx. 1/2-3/4 MOA which was the best and only grouping I'd ever seen this tight from the gun. Also, to give you an idea of my shooting setup, it was a measured 100 yds and my shooting was performed from shooting bench using shooting rest that the gun sits in. There is no pressure on the forearm other than the gun laying up there. I have a cheap Bushnell Banner scope that I can try that has served me well in the past....Will keep you posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic