OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me find a .22 pistol!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me find a .22 pistol!
    Posted: June/07/2011 at 15:24
I am thinking about getting a semi auto 22 pistol for giggles and grins. 

There are a lot of them out there these days, so I am hoping you guys can help hone in my focus on the best ones to be looking at.

Accuracy and reliablity are the primary ingredients.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 15:33
Ruger's mark series, walther p22, sig misquito, browning buckmark.... owned all like all

You wanting a semi auto or wheel gun 22?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 15:34
What are your primary uses for it?

Edited by BeltFed - June/07/2011 at 15:34
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Hatari View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 15:36
I am looking semi auto.

I am familiar with the brownings, and have heard that ruger has some new ones out.

I guess I am looking for some good first hand comparisons to help me get focused on which ones to go out and "fondle" Big Grin.

Like I said, accuracy (like target models) and reliability. Doesn't have to be a "target model".
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 15:41
My go to 22 pistol is a walther p22, pick it up more than any other ones in my safe, its reliable and feeds everything I'd put in it.  Accurate too.  Its light and easy to use.  The rugers are nice but I like the looks and feel of the Walther better.  I am looking at getting a ruger 22/45 now though, i fondled one at a shop recently and like the fact that it and my 1911 have the same grip angle and all so it may become my new favorite, only time will tell. 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 15:58
SVT has some good picks. I don't know what your budget is but I like the S&W Mod 41 with the sporter barrel. A friend of mine has one and that is one accurate pistol.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 16:27
Have a suppressed Ruger 22/45, very fun, very accurate,(very quiet.)

any of the semis made by good companies will be plenty accurate and reliable for plinking.  I do not own a Sig Mosquito but have shot one, liked it, nice little gun.

I like my Ruger, good weight, well built, very handy.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 22:01
It's hard to beat the Ruger .22 auto.  Pick one with a good trigger, and the grip shape, barrel and balance that suits you best.  Then enjoy it for the rest of your life.  With any reasonable care, it will last a lot longer than you will. 

I wasted years trying to wrap my hand around a top-rated target model from another maker.  Even though it had a great trigger and I shot expert scores, it was never comfortable. Then I got my wife a Ruger .22 automatic with the standard "Luger" grip shape.  Extremely accurate, and an absolute delight to hold and shoot.   
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 22:55
Another vote for the Ruger MK series.  It's a time-proven, foolproof design, reasonably priced.  I have 2 of them, and they shoot well.  I like the ergos of the 22/45 better than the standard MKII / MKIII.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 23:15

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 23:27
It will be hard to beat the Ruger MK for both accuracy and reliability. I prefer the MkIII because Ruger moved the bottom Mag release up to a button release. It is a lot easier to change the mags. I have enjoyed my Sig mosquito too. The Ruger has the 6" barrel and is much better at longer ranges. A friend has a buckmark camper and it is not very accurate even shooting off a rest. I think this is the odd one because most that have them like them. The Walther's go bang most every time.  For fun it is hard to beat a .22 pistol

Edited by 3_tens - June/07/2011 at 23:31
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 00:21
The KEL-TEC PMR-30 comes in .22WMR.  Might be worth a look.
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 08:59
Mike, I think you should send that Ruger to meBig Smile
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 09:27
I have had a lot of 22 pistols over the years but by far my favorite is the Ruger MK2 and I find the MK3 a huge pain in the ass to take apart to clean where the MK1 and MK2 are easier to take apart and by easier the concelpt is relative as most people have huge difficulty taking the beast apart as it is a matter of holding the pistol at the correct angle so the little rod on back of the hammer drops down into the hole in the mainspring as you insert the mainspring (think pistol upside down barrel at 2 oclock). They used to make the MK1 with a light weight barrel in blue and in that configuration it was quite reasonably priced. When you go to stainless heavy target barrels the price goes up. I have one of the ones with the 45 grip however I do not like it as well as the other version as the magazine does not drop free it binds up and has to be pulled out.  Having started with the MK 1 version about 1969 I tend to like the euro style mag release behind the bottom of the magazine but aparently over time ruger has gone to a traditional US type button release.  I would tend to stay with something that I could use the McFadden Ultimate Magazine loader with.
  • Ruger Mark II, III & Hunter     <=======<<<<
  • Ruger 22/45
  • Colt Woodsmen Mag.
  • Old Military High Standard
  • Newer High Standard
  • Browning Buck Mark Pistols    <======<<<<<
  • Stoeger Luger
  • I have not had a Buck Mark but it would be high on my list and likely much easier to clean that the ruger.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
    Bobby Paul Doherty
    Texas Ranger
    koshkin View Drop Down
    Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 11:07
    There is a bunch of good quality 22LR pistols available.

Pick one that fits your hand the best.  For me, Borwning Buckmark fits best out of the ones I tried.

Still, the 22LR I shoot the most is my Glock with a conversion kit.  That way I get to practice with the same grip and trigger as I would be using otherwise.

ILya
    BeltFed View Drop Down
    Optics Retard
    Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 11:34
    ILya, which conversion kit do you use?
    koshkin View Drop Down
    Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 12:14
    Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

ILya, which conversion kit do you use?

Advantage Arms
    BeltFed View Drop Down
    Optics Retard
    Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 12:49

Thanks ILya

I looked them up, and they have my interest. The dealer in my area is even an old friend that has gotten back into the gun buisness.

What kind of money are they selling for about?
    koshkin View Drop Down
    Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 13:05
    Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Thanks ILya

I looked them up, and they have my interest. The dealer in my area is even an old friend that has gotten back into the gun buisness.

What kind of money are they selling for about?

You would need to check for current prices.

I have had mine for some years, and I do not remember what it cost then.

ILya
    BeltFed View Drop Down
    Optics Retard
    Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 13:22
    Thanks ILya
    You've given me an incentive to go to the gun show this weekend.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic