OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me find a .22 pistol!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 13:28
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Thanks ILya
You've given me an incentive to go to the gun show this weekend.

Let me know what you think.  

It is a little finicky about ammo and not as reliable as a proper 22LR pistol, but it works adequately well and makes for very good practice.

ILya
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 13:50
I had a Smith and Wesson 22A years ago that I traded away like a fool. From what I read it may have been the only reliable one!

Found a 22/45 in a pawn shop to replace it. The Ruger is more comfortable, but somehow I don't shoot it as well as the cheaper 22A.

The Ruger's have every aftermarket thingamabob you can think (and probably a few you can't) out there. If you're the kind of guy that likes to tinker that is a bonus.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 13:59
I have a Ruger MKIII Hunter with a Volquartsen trigger kit and Hogue G10 grips. Very accurate and it is one of a very few guns I own that I would not part with. 
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 14:00
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

It is a little finicky about ammo and not as reliable as a proper 22LR pistol, but it works adequately well and makes for very good practice.

ILya

I also have a Sig P226 with a 22cal conversion kit that I feel the same way about.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 17:26
I currently have a couple of the ruger autos and it is very had to beat them. Funny my experience was just the oppisite of SVT's with the P22 walther. I let the dealer send it back to walther and it still wouldn't feed. Other good choices are the old colt woodsman huntsman series as well as the older nomad Brownings and high standards if you don't mind used. My brother has one of the newer S&W 22 autos and he likes it.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 22:10
[QUOTE=anomad]I had a Smith and Wesson 22A years ago that I traded away like a fool. From what I read it may have been the only reliable one!

My S&W Model 41 is still going strong after 30+ years.  It's accurate although a bit large and heavy compared to other 22 autos.  The only feed problem I've had with it was from using cheap bulk ammo.
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 22:49
These are all nice auto loaders. I'd like a Ruger hunter model, but I've had Buckmarks and they work well. The old Browning Challengers were very nice if you can find one. The Smith 41 is nice, but more money than the Rugers. My friend had a Mosquito, but the trigger was not the best, so he got a Ruger mark 3 and likes it much better. Pick one that feels good to you and don't look back, unless you need to have 2 at some point!!
Black Bear Road
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2011 at 19:45

Here is one I like a lot  Sig Arms Trailside
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Hatari View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 07:51
Thanks for all the input guys.

There a couple mentioned here I had not thought of, but will be sure to check out.

It will probably be the end of the summer before I actually get anything (I like to research alot first)
Hatari View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 11:51
So, I am looking through some newspaper ads last week and see that Gander Mountain has the Ruger on sale for a good price.  I also happened to have some gift cards from there.

Soooo, I figured I would go and look, and take the gift cards just in case I decided to buy something. 

Now understand what everyone meants about the Ruger being stiff.  Anyway, I looked at the S&W also.  It felt good in the hand, and seemed set up well, but that rear sight...all I can say is what are they thinking.  I finally ended up finding a Buckmark that I liked.  Trueglow sight on the front and mounting rail should I ever want to use something other than the standard sights.

But then, while deciding about whether to keep looking or actually purchase, I wandered by the rifles.

Next thing I know this Winchester model 70 super grade in .300 win mag has jumped in to my hands and wouldn't leave.   Like I really need a .300 wing mag Loco.   I tried to put it down, but it would have none of that Boo Hoo

Anyway, I will be going back for the .22 in a few months... Heavy Recoil

Edited by Hatari - June/23/2011 at 11:52
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 11:58
Excellent  Some of the rifles just are like stray dogs and won't go away huh?

Congrats
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 12:25
I just went and looked at 22 pistols as well.  Never had one.  I went in with the thought of wanting the Ruger.  After looking at quite a few and seeing how each of them felt, I've decided to go with this guy.  Big Smile
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=001B&cat_id=051&type_id=461
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 12:29
Buckmarks are nice.  I wish I still had my first one.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 13:38
Originally posted by powderburn powderburn wrote:

Other good choices are the old colt woodsman huntsman series

Thunbs Up

...if you're willing to spend the asking price on 'em, they're readily available on the gun auction sites.  They have great triggers, they shoot well, and they have a certain cool factor inherent with a classic collector value piece.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 18:31

A Colt Woodsman.  

Visit the Ed Show
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 07:39
If I can find the pics I'll post em.  My sister purchased at our cousin's estate auction his Colt "Pre" Woodsman.  Gorgeous little auto 22.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic