OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

smallest elk caliber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 13:57
I can't remember where, but I once read an answer to one of these questions that I really liked.  The fellow said something like this:  A small caliber shouldn't be used on questionable shots.  But then I wouldn't take a questionable shot with ANY caliber.

Archery requires close range and a good shot angle, but people still kill monster bulls with their bows every year.  I don't see why you can't get a good shot opportunity with a rifle.  "Texas heart shots" aren't something I'd be comfortable with regardless of what I might be shooting.  The way I've been told to shoot game is to aim for the far side front shoulder, and you're almost assured of getting both lungs.  Nothing will go very far with a hole through both lungs.  The measly two deer I've taken with such shots have dropped from a shotgun slug, and run 50 or so yards from a 46 lb. longbow.

I would probably take the .338 WM I inherited if I were rifle hunting elk, but I wouldn't feel uncomfortable going after wapiti with my .243 and a Barnes TSX or Nosler Partition if that were the only rifle I owned and it were legal in the area being hunted.  I've shot a couple of those little .243 TSX's into a dirt bank, and the hole they drill is pretty impressive.  They hold together and penetrate in that particular media better than 225 grain Accubonds from my .338 WM.

Oh, and I know for a fact that from about 15 yards, my lowly 51 lb. recurve can put a 445 grain arrow clear through an elk's shoulder blade and bury several inches into a stump behind the bone.  Any well-constructed rifle bullet should do the same if need be. 

A friend living in Oregon using a longbow has taken at least one elk per year for at least the last 12 years I've known him, and several more elk long ago with a 30-06 and 150 Rem core-loks.  This includes a few decent 5x5's on his wall.  He tells me they're a lot easier to take down than people make them out to be.  His theory is that most people aren't really very good shots in the field and/or shoot at spooked animals...

To be clear, I've never shot an elk and am only speaking on my own observations and what I would be comfortable with.  I'm no expert.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 14:12
I have killed a bunch of elk with my .243, every one my dad or I have ever shot at  with the 243s we killed.  But my 7mm Mag always does it better.  The hole is bigger, wound channel is bigger, blood trail is bigger. 

Got a 300 WSM to try this year, I am sure it will do just as good.  Big Grin
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 18:39
Awesome.  Care to share which bullet you used with the .243 and how many elk were taken with it?  I'd be interested to know anything you'd like to share from your experiences.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 00:37
My father in law has killed god only knows how many elk using a 308 win & 300 savage for, last 40 + years & a few with different types of bows. As for what bullets he uses no clue but he been shooting 150gr power shocks for the 308 for last few years.

Edited by hunterwingler - June/15/2011 at 00:38
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 09:56
We have killed 10 to 12 elk with 243s, I am not sure exactly how many.  In Utah we just get to hunt spikes for general season, so granted they are not as big as a large bull by no means.

Mostly we just used Remington Corelockts factory ammo 100 grain, this was before I started reloading in 04.  I am not into fancy bullets, personally I think they are a waste of money.  I have never had a deer or elk get away because of bullet design.  If I hit them in the vitals they die, period.

My dad killed one 2 years ago with a 100 grain Hornady spire point.  I have killed 1 with 95 grain Hornady SST and an 85 grain Barns. 

With the 7mm, same thing.  Remington Corelocks 175 grain, they will put a softball sized wound channel clear though an elk.  I have used 160 grain Hornady sprire points, as well at 160 grain SSTs.  They all die if I hit them in the vitals. 

There are guys local here who make fun of my dad because he always uses his .243.  They believe you have to have at least a 338 to hunt elk.  The one guy shoots a 338/378 weatherby Loco.  But when dad gets the opportunity for a shot, he always gets his elk. 

A couple years ago, I was using my 45-70 and made a bad shot and just wounded an elk.  We tracked him all day long til dark.  We went back the next day and found him again.  Dad finished him off with the .243, 1 shot.  I still have not heard the end of that one, shot him with my giant 45 cal with 325 grain bullet and he gets away.  My dad pops with with a 100 grain 243 and down he goes.  Bucky

I am not promoting the 243 is the best choice, but it'll work just fine with a good shooter.  I personally use a larger gun either a 7mm or 45-70.    But used the 243 for several years and never had a problem killing a spike bull.  The last one my dad shot with his .243, (I ranged it after the fact) was at 240 yards. 

Edited by supertool73 - June/15/2011 at 09:59
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 18:08
A properly placed shot with just about any caliber will take an elk.  It is better to shoot a gun you can handle (weight, recoil and such) is far better and more accurate than shooting a gun that you are scared of and flinch.  

i have watched elk taken with 243s and on up, and i believe any of them are fine.  That being said, I prefer the 300 WM myself just because I like shooting a heavier bullet at ranges like you are talking about and still have it shoot flat.  There are a lot of variable, but I never have any doubts my 300 will do the job. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic