OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica, Swaro or Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stadle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica, Swaro or Zeiss
    Posted: June/10/2011 at 12:13
This is a great forum and I recently joined and am grateful for all the information that folks share on here. I am currently looking at purchasing 2 new scopes. Will go with one of the three brands (or S&B) as i believe top end optics make a difference. One will go on my 338 win mag which will mostly be used for elk hunting here in western washington (maybe black bear as well) and the other will go on my 7mm rem mag which is my deer rifle -which still can be wet.  would love some input from folks whom have used these optics in wet weather as well as an overall basis.  For both, but most importantly for the elk gun, I will be in the brush alot in november in western wa and that time of year is very wet, but at the same time at daybreak or right before dark we do catch them in open ground sometimes.  I currently have an older Swaro on the 338 it and was looking at a Z5 and potentially the Leica ER seems like a great scope, but am wondering how much of a difference the Aquadura or Lotutech coatings make for water/dirt repelling.  From what I have read, it does not look like Swaro or S&B has such a coating. if the coating does not make a difference then i would lean towards considering based on field of view and other features. based on what I have seen, any of the 4 are great glass. Was considering a larger magnification scope for the 7mm something maybe in the 3.5x18 or with our without the 50mm objective lens. for those that have a 50mm objective lens (I have neve had one this large before) any issues with the getting the scope too high. One final question, how do i really figure out what the difference is between the different models, i.e. the Z5 vs Z6. websites don't seem very accurate.   

Thanks for any info you may have.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 13:38
Welcome to OT, Stadle.

Flip a coin.  All 3 are awesome.

I think the hydrophobic coatings are a nice addition.  You are correct; Swaro (and S&B) don't offer such a coating.  They do help some, but they aren't a substitute for using lens covers.  I would choose a scope so equipped if I liked all options equally, but the presence of the coating by itself is neither a deal maker or breaker for me.  The Swaro has less "tunnel vision" on the lowest magnifications and has a tad more forgiving side to side eye position latitude than the others.  I'm talking about the Z6 here, not the Z5, which I don't believe is an equivalent comparison to the Zeiss Diavari and Leica ER.

I own scopes from all 3, and when comparing scopes of eqivalent config, you won't likely notice much if any difference in raw optical performance.  Some people prefer one over the others, depending on what's most important to you (FOV, eye relief, size of sweet spot, contrast, weight, length, etc.) in a scope.  I have no idea which of the 3 is best mechanically.  If you don't feel strongly one way or the other on the specs of one scope, pick whichever offers a reticle style you like best.

It may be a cliche', but it's true... you really can't make a bad choice here.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 13:50
I don't know why Swarovski doesn't add "Swaroclean" hydrophobic coatings the riflescopes, as it works so well on their binoculars and spotters.

That said, I don't find the coatings as useful on riflescopes, because the lenses remained capped or covered most of the time.

I have a Swaro Z3, which has similar optical quality to the Z5, and find it to be a top performer.  I think any of these scopes would be a great match, but the Z5 will save you some money, and mount low with that 44mm objective.
-Matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 14:12
Welcome stadle! The three you mentioned are all great. I have the S&B Summit which, to me, is awesome but the reticle is limiting IMO. I also have a couple of Swaro's (AV and Z3) which have been wonderful (NO issues). I do think the hydrophobic type coatings are beneficial. That said, in your wet climate, perhaps the Leica would be a smart choice. Whatever, as Ted said, they are all very capable.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Stadle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stadle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 17:07
Thanks for the input and welcomes. I have been leaning towards the leica for the 338 and something a little more powerful with the 7mm. I don't use scope covers. they sound great and work ok, but once you take them off to take a look or any moisture at all gets in there you have fog on the outside of the objective lense rather than rain drops. Plus, in the brush, I don't want to have to deal with thinking about taking them off. a split second can cost me a shot. I am basically stalking/tracking in some pretty thick wet stuff. Field of View and Eye Relief are most important to me.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 17:47
Originally posted by Stadle Stadle wrote:

Field of View and Eye Relief are most important to me.

FOV... advantage Swaro, if comparing Z6 (by virtue of the broader zoom, affording lower bottom magnification).  If comparing Z5, advantage Leica.
Eye Relief... advantage Leica by about 1/4".

IMO:
Resolution... very slight advantage Zeiss.
Contrast... very slight advantage Leica.
Size of sweet spot, lack of tunnel vision... advantage Swaro.
Mounting length vs. overall length... advantage Leica.
Customer service/warranty... advantage Swaro.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 20:26
Welcome to the OT!

Might also want to check out the new Premiers.I have the new tactical & it does hold it's own with any of the above mentioned,of which I own several.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 10:33
The higher the recoil, the more I'd look at S&B if it were me.  There's nothing any tougher.

Edited by JGRaider - June/13/2011 at 10:34
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 11:58
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I don't know why Swarovski doesn't add "Swaroclean" hydrophobic coatings the riflescopes, as it works so well on their binoculars and spotters.

I agree; that doesn't make sense to me when their competitors offer hydrophobic coatings.  I also agree it isn't a huge deal, but since they already have the technology and offer it on their other optics, it would seem only logical that they'd offer it on their riflescopes. 
Ted

Stadle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stadle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 01:32
Thanks again for the input.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic