OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First trophy on the farm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First trophy on the farm.
    Posted: June/16/2011 at 06:18
The first two weeks in the roedeer season didn´t give any result.
I saw several very small bucks, but i spared them. The get better next year. 
My hunts started at sunrise  4,30 - 05,00 am and went on till 8 - 8,30. Work - and hunting again till the sun went down. 9,30 - 10 pm.  
Nada Nada Nada!!!!
I know there is heavy metal bucks in the area cause i have pictures of them on my trailcams, but they only shows at night.
One day after work, it was more than wet, i would go down to check one of the cameras and see how much korn was left.
My glases were wet but i thought i saw a couple of deer to the right. Couldn't determine if it was a buck or a doe. Back to the farm in a hurry, got my gear. 
It was a buck and a doe that were grassing. I crawled closer and when i was 110 meters ( app. 120 yards )
i rose up on my knees and shot him through the heart. 
He was not the monster i have had in my dreams, but an ok buck i think.

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 06:48
Good shooting Claus! That is some beautiful country too!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 07:32
Excellent  Very beautiful country,  Congrats on the trophy
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 08:58
Fire up the Barbecue!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 11:33
A friend is in germany giving chase as we speak.  great roe deer!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 14:00
Yeah!!
-Matt
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 14:08
     Excellent
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 14:51
Good deal Claus. The pic is classy. I am guilty having having the tongue hanging out in a few of my pics.This is something that has come up around regarding respect. Great job!
I also like the outfit. Unfortunately over here, we have too many unsafe hunters and the nice, subdued hunting clothing has to be supplanted by the ubiquitous "blaze orange".
Is that your .06 Blaser? How about the scope and rings?
Doug
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 15:44

Nice Job! How big is a big roe deer buck?

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 15:55
Congratulations on a job well done. ExcellentExcellentExcellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 18:23
Patients finally paid off,kudos & happy eating...Let us see the mount if you get him doneExcellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 20:04
Good Job I know you will enjoy the meat.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 02:26
Nice hunting and good shooting. Excellent
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 07:51

Thanks for all the nice comments. Smile

Tahqua :  Over here i don't se many, if any at all, wearing orange at deerhunting. At driven and bird hunts, where we are a group of hunters, many hunters wear orange caps. I think it's a good idea when we go hunting in groups, but i wouldn't do it on a deer hunt.
I would think that one of the reasons that you have unsafe hunters, may lay in the hunting education you get. It is easy to get a licence in the US. Many people have no clue how to hunt or act in the nature, but they like what they hear and see when the neighbour comes home from a great hunt, eventual with a nice trophy, and it is easy to get a gun and go to Public land and fire shots at everything that has a puls.
It is very different over here... 
Back when i got my licence, i was taking evening clases during the winter, and came to a written test in the spring. In that test there was all kind of questions about the game ,  when are these and these species breeding and how many "babyes" do they get, when can you shoot what - safety during hunts - how guns work etc etc. 
After that you go to a practical test, where the are judging your handling of the weapon, se you shoot etc etc.. THEN you get the licence.

If you then decide you want to own a rifle, you have to learn how to use it and then have a shooting and handling test. 
So you see it is a lot different over here. I will not be the judge and say what is the best way, but i can see in the statistics that we dont have many accidents.

The rifle i used was a Blaser R8 Professionel, mounted with a 6,5x55 and a Leupold  Mark 4. 4,5x14-50.

Midtwest hunter: The roedeer weighs 25-30 kg on the hoof. (55-65 pound) They seldom get taller than 75 cm ( 30 inches )

Stickbow:  I will mount him like the others = European mount. Here's a pic of some of my trophy wall.

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 07:54
I have to ask, do you think this new R8 can outshoot Jamie as wellBig Grin
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 07:55
THINK??? 
I'm a believer.  This Much

Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 08:45

Nice trophy room. Is that far mount a whitetail?

Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 08:58
Yes it is a Whitetail. 
I shot it last year in Idaho at a good friends hunting grounds. I meet him here in O.T.

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 21:59
Claus,

Could you explain the significance of mounting the teeth? I have seen a number of mounted roe bucks in Germany and Sweden, but I don't recall the teeth being mounted too? Granted, its been a few years... Just wondered if that might be something unique to Denmark?

My German friend Manfred said it took him two years of serious study and work to get his hunting privileges. Sometimes I take it for granted how easy it is here. Colorado is the only state I have hunted/lived in that has mandatory hunters education classes. I think its a benefit to the wildlife and hunting experience that they do have such a requirement.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 23:43
Nothing makes me angrier than slob hunters, giving us all a bad name, and working against hunting in general.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic