OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone know Garands well ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone know Garands well ?
    Posted: June/25/2011 at 09:45
Guys, I bought a Garand at a bankrupty liquidation sale this week Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin . This is my 3rd Garand, but I must admit, I don't know much about them. My 2 previous were bought from a friend who knows them well, but  I have been unable to locate him for the last few months.
 I know this one is a Springfield with a 2 million serial receiver, a '55 Springfield barrel, but thats it except for the Winchester trigger guard. I've never broke one down, and if I did try, I still wouldn't know what to look for on the op rod, sights, and trigger group to find out what manufacturer made the parts. I'm hoping it is mostly Springfield, but you never know.
 This rifle looks as if has never been fired since it's arsenal rebuild, the barrel is immaculate, bolt in great shape.
Thanks for any help you may have, including web sites.

Derek
Pics edited in :

Edited by HuntMaster - August/17/2011 at 21:48
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 16:53
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 17:05
Up load some pics...  If the Left of the Receiver is a sharp line than it probably was not refinished, if it is a dull line or a smooth line than it probably was...

You can find videos on Youtube to take-down.

They are the easiest take-down that I know of.

The Serials never ever matched...
No one
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 22:32
Your serial number would place the receiver sometime in '43-44. The later barrel on it is a nice edition. The M1 I have is a 5M serial number, made in '53 and came with a '54 barrel. I specifically requested a "shooter" rather than a collector's item when I ordered mine from the CMP if they were able to accomodate the request. They certainly did, although they weren't obligated to. The later rifles and barrels were really well made because Springfield was jockeying for the M14 contract and it wasn't wartime (even in Korea). I'm not saying your receiver wasn't. I'm just saying if you got a arsenal rebuild with a later, unfired barrel, that is awesome. It should shoot really well.

Don't worry if you have a mix of parts from different years or manufacturers. While I admit to drooling over one totally original pre-war production M1 I saw in a museum, the charm in these old rifles is in their history, design and manufacturing process. They are truly a tribute to American ingenuity. Mine has an HRA bolt although the receiver is Springfield, but I would never trade, sell or otherwise fail to cherish this old mix-master. (Do, however, consider having the headspacing checked out. Make sure the rifle is safe to fire. Unless it came from CMP, someone might have substituted a bolt that may be off just enough to make it dangerous).

The CMP forums are your best source of Garand info. Here's a couple recommendations I have:

1) Check that the gas cylinder is tight on the barrel. If it is loose you will never shoot accurately since the front sight will shift with it on ever shot. Search for "peen M1 garand barrel" and you will easily find the instructions. I did a diagram that usually comes up with it.

2) If it's still available, get the G98a spring kit from http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Garandparts.htm. Sometimes the op-rod springs on these old rifles is just plumb worn out. Even if it's not, substitute the new one because it is the best and keep your old one around for a spare.

3) To ensure the longevity of your rifle, there is one part that I would recommend having and that is a NIW (new in wrap) gas cylinder. You may have to pay out the wazoo for one but they cannot be repaired or refinished. The button on the op-rod can.
Reaction time is a factor...
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 07:39
These work for the shooter...

http://www.schustermfg.com/
No one
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 22:29
Finally got the chance to break it down tonight. Springfield Armory receiver made in Oct '43, S.A. barrel made in Oct'55 , S.A. trigger group, WRA trigger guard and safety lever, International Harvester op-rod ( very desirable I'm told ), cross bar rear sights. Barrel measures a 2 TE and 1 ME . 
 Only thing I don't know about now is the buttplate. This one is smooth, the other 2 Garands I had were checkered with a trapdoor in the middle. Edited - this is a "parade issue " butt plate.
Thanks for the replies, I'll try to post pics soon.

Derek

Edited by HuntMaster - August/17/2011 at 21:54
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 21:55
Edited in pics and other info. Thanks for the help guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic