OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Ballistic Turrets for Hunters?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowJumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Ballistic Turrets for Hunters?
    Posted: June/28/2011 at 23:29
Hello, thinking of picking up the Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 with the Ballistic Turrets and plex reticle.  

I am not a fan of busy reticles like the Rapid Z or the Swarovski BRH.  For use on a Browning X-bolt .308 Stainless Stalker. 

Has anyone used the Swarovski BT in a hunting application?  

I am thinking I could just holdover if I hate the BT system and with only a $100ish dollar premium (over a plain jane 4a) I am leaning towards the BT.  I would love to hear from BT owners who hunt.

Thanks in advance! 

Whats the spirit of the bayonet?
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 05:12
The BT is a knockoff/Swaro version of the Kahles MZ.  I've only used it at the range (MZ system) and it has worked for me.  I like it.  You have to make the adjustment so I can't say it would be the quickest system for adjusting to different distances.

coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 13:25
I was also considering the BT, but have heard that it is not real tough for bush banging. I am trying to find the reviews again where I read a couple of people complaining about damage when getting bumped. 
urdeadb4uhearit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urdeadb4uhearit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2011 at 16:56
I had one of these turrets retrofitted to my Habicht AV 4-12X50 PLEX.  The factory will not sell the turrets for self-installations.  You need contact their repair department in RI and obtain a RMA #.  They charge $200 for a turret install, or $300 for a turret install and reticle change (April, 2011 prices).  They can retofit the turret onto any of their scopes that are available NEW with the turret as a factory option.

With their calculator, you can enter in whatever range you zeroed your scope in at.  Their ballistics turret calculator allows for the precise use of their turret, based upon the load that you're using.  Their ballistics turret program, instructions, etc. can be downloaded at: http://bt.swarovskioptik.com/  The interactive instructions explains how easily it is to set it up and dial it in based upon the target distance.

Play with their ballistic turret calculator before deciding if this is for you.  There are outer limits on the turrets, based upon the number of clicks it has.  Since the clicks are finite, how their units of measure translate to the available distance are a function of the caliber and load.  So be sure that it has the ability to range the loads you're going to be using.

What is great about this system, is that you do not need separate turrets for every different load that you use (like with a collection of www.kentonindustries.com turrets). 

Therefore, the factory retrofit cost of $200 is actually very reasonable - because the turret system can be used for any loads that I can obtain the ballistic data for.  Once I fugure out how to download their ballistics calculator into my Blackberry, I'll be able to make changes in the field without carrying multiple turrets.

As for the durability.  If you are knocking your scope into things so hard that you are damaging the turrets, you should be using open sights.  Your scope is probably not zeroed any longer anyway, if you are smacking it hard enough to break things.  Just my opinion...

To arrange for a retrofit installation, you need to contact them first for an RMA/work order sheet.  Then ship it off.  It takes 4-6 weeks, once it is in their hands.

SWAROVSKI OPTIK NORTH AMERICA LTD
Mr. Del Lavature  - Customer Service Rep / Territory Sales
2 Slater Road
Cranston, RI  02920
Tel. 800-426-3089 x2940
Tel.  401-734-1800 x2940
Fax 877-287-8517
Del.Lavature@swarovskioptik.us
WWW.SWAROVSKIOPTIK.US

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2011 at 20:48
I ran a Kahles CL 3-1050 with a similiar setup
it worked fantastic provided I had the time to range, dial, and shoot.
There were a few times I just flat out didn't have the time hunting.

As a result, I am not going to be hunting with my 308 this year and going back to a flatter shooting caliber (25-06)

So, yes they work and I like the precision of dialing it in, just offering up a potential downside

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 07:26
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I ran a Kahles CL 3-1050 with a similiar setup
it worked fantastic provided I had the time to range, dial, and shoot.
There were a few times I just flat out didn't have the time hunting.

As a result, I am not going to be hunting with my 308 this year and going back to a flatter shooting caliber (25-06)

So, yes they work and I like the precision of dialing it in, just offering up a potential downside

+1.    I prefer to employ the K.I.S.S. system, and also don't much like "busy" reticles for typical hunting scenarios. How about using something such as the Sightron Big Sky with the HHR reticle? It will give you a couple of additional aiming points without getting too involved. Just a thought. BTW, welcome to the OT Forum.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 09:29
I don't bang my equipment on anything intentionaly, but it does happen in the bush. I also am not sure just how durable the BT is. If it is flimsy though it may not be for walking stalking in the bush. I like the idea of the clean reticle as well, and on ethical long shots I think most situations would allow a person the time to dial in. At 300 yds or less with a 200 zero, I don't see the need to dial the bt. I just have just read that the BT is not very stout.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic