OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

looking for pocket 8x binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for pocket 8x binos
    Posted: June/30/2011 at 15:31
Hey guys I am trying to find some pocket 8x binos. Something like the ones below that hinge and compact further. Looking for some good quality ones at 8x and waterproof if possible for about $100. They dont neccessary have to hindge compact down like that but it would be nice. I seem to have trouble finding some that are waterproof. If they cant be for that price I guess I will just have to deal with it. I know you cant really get great optics in $100  range, but id like the most for my money just like everyone else. These will just be something to put in my pocket or keep in the truck. Any serious glassing will be done by my fullsize binos. I looked at some of the nikons, steiners, sightrons, but Im just not sure. Reccommendations are very welcome.  Thanks!!

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 18:06
The problem is that cheap, small roof prism binos are are not very good.
Most decent ones are over $275.
I have been looking and finally gave in and got the Leica Ultravid, Nikon XLX and the Kowa BD25, all of which cost more than $275 but are really nice.
Try one of the reverse poro prism glasses, Bushnell, Leupold, Cannon, Pentax, et al make some decent ones that will cost around $150.
I have had several and they worked too well since lady friends seemed to really like them and talk me out of them!
Hope this helps.Cool
Good luck.
Art
Good day.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 20:01
Yea i know the price they wont be great. Especially with those tiny lenses. But I really wouldnt use them enough to justify that much. Which ones for around that much would you recommend? Right now if I were to spend more than that I want some Zen Ray ED2s. 
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2011 at 09:44
If you can stretch your budget an extra $55 then I would suggest the Alpen Wings ED 8x20s. They are getting good reviews over on birdforum.

Frank
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 12:06
I been looking at the reverse porro prisms but i dont know which would be the best. Obvisously they cant be an other worldy difference since they are all around 100 bucks but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Here are the ones i found that seemed reasonable.

Leupold rouge 8x25
Vortext Vanquish 8x26
nikon prostaff 8x25
Sightron SI 8x25

Thanks for any input

gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 17:30
IMHO the Leupolds are pretty good.
Have had two pair appropriated by girl friends!
They were nice optics for the money and handled well.
Most sporting good stores that carry Leaupold can get you a pair to look over and they come with the Leupold service and guarantee at a decent price.
Good luck.
Art
Good day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic