OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP Tracking Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC_Army_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP Tracking Help
    Posted: July/28/2011 at 10:47
Here's my problem,

I have two of the 6-24x50 SFP Vortex PSTs.  One is mounted on a 6.5x284 (only zeroed at 100, but shot great; however, I need to get a 40MOA (yes 40) base to have the 100yd zero at the bottom of the scopes elevation settings.  Haven't tried tracking with this one yet.

The second is mounted on a custom .284.  Just shot it this weekend.  At the lowest elevation settings with a 20 MOA base, I was 2.5" high, one hole, at 100.  Good deal, I can live with that.

Took it out to the farm to shoot a 600 yd. steel plate.  Elevation adjusted for distance.  15 shots, no issues (11 hits off the hood of my truck on bipods).  Back to the house and 100 yards, dialed back to the zero stop.....3 shots, one hole, only 3.5" high.....one inch higher than the original zero.

May not seem like much, but for me for any distance shooting, a scope has to have accurate tracking.  Is there something I could have done wrong (not incorrect zero-stop, I checked that) that could fix this?  Or is the scope just not tracking correctly?

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the scope for the price.  No issues with recoil or vibrations (US Optics base, Leupy Rings).  Glass wasn't the clearest on max power, but was great at ~16x and below.  I like the scope a lot, just want to figure out how to get around the tracking issue.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2011 at 11:04

I would repeat the exercise first.  It could have been different things, ammo difference, temp, dirty bore..etc.  Duplicate the results then if it does it again send it to Vortex they will make it right.

NC_Army_Guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC_Army_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2011 at 11:12
SVT,

Dirty bore could have definitely been the problem, but all the shots were in the same couple of hours under roughly the same conditions.  Don't think it was the ammo, as I'm very diligent in reloading (all hand loads), including case trimming, lenghth measurements, sorting all bullets by weight, etc...  Just thought there might be something obvious I am overlooking, which could easily be the case.

Vortex offers one of the best customer service options in the optics world, and I have no worries they can correct any issues that I may have.  That's one of the main reasons I purchased their scopes.  Trying to figure out if I just missed something else that could have caused the issue.

Thanks for the feedback!
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2011 at 13:42
The PST's have tracked very consistently for me.  However, it's never a good idea to run the elevation of a scope bottomed or topped out completely.  As the erector cell begins actually making physical contact with something and/or springs begin bottoming out you just can't count on it to work perfectly.

I'd suggest replacing the base on that rifle with a 15 or 10 MOA base.  If you haven't bedded the base to the rifle you could take out a few MOA when you do that by putting a tiny shim in the front when you do it.
lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 20:09
I am not, exactly, tracking what you are saying.  Could you please explain the following statement:

"
I have two of the 6-24x50 SFP Vortex PSTs.  One is mounted on a 6.5x284 (only zeroed at 100, but shot great; however, I need to get a 40MOA (yes 40) base to have the 100yd zero at the bottom of the scopes elevation settings.  Haven't tried tracking with this one yet.

The second is mounted on a custom .284.  Just shot it this weekend.  At the lowest elevation settings with a 20 MOA base, I was 2.5" high, one hole, at 100.  Good deal, I can live with that."

It seems that you are saying that on the .284 when you it on a 20 moa base its elevation is bottomed out for sighting at 100 yards.  If it was not bottomed out you could adjust elevation down the for the 2.5" high you are shooting.  Then for the 6.5x284 you have to use a 40 moa base to bottom the elevation setting.   Why would the two of them be 20 moa apart for bottom of the elevation?   I have never seen that kind of difference between either rifles or a single type of scope.

I completely agree with Jon it is never good to bottom out the elevation but I am still not following your difference between the two scopes.  I am sure I am just missing something but could you please clarify?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic