OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

WHICH SCOPE TO BUY???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote str8ripin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHICH SCOPE TO BUY???
    Posted: July/28/2011 at 13:56
OK IM STUCK BETWEEN 3 DIFF SCOPES.  ANY HELP??

1. NIKON PROSTAFF 4-12X40 W/BDC
2. REDFIELD 4-12X40
3. VORTEX DIAMONDBACK 4-12X40

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2011 at 14:00
  The advantage goes to vortex  IMO because of the warranty services they offer, not that the other two don't have good warranty on the new scopes but vortex has always bent over backwards and proven itself longer in that reguard.... paying shipping and upgrading at no cost if an event happens...... 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2011 at 16:40
Welcome! The typical response will always be: how about some more info... what type of usage (hunting vs target vs plinking, etc). What are the ranges / distances commonly encountered? What's your budget? Get the drift?
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 09:37
Out of those, my choice would be the Vortex. However, there are several others I'd consider too in that price range.

Edited by slowr1der - July/29/2011 at 09:38
str8ripin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote str8ripin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 09:43
do tell
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 10:53
I haven't used any of these 4-12 or 4-16 scopes, but I'm going to chime in here anyway.

IMO, the three 4-12 scopes that you listed are the correct 3 scopes to consider in this power/price range.

The Diamondback is the oldest design of these 3. The ProStaff was recently upgraded. The Redfield design is only a few years old.

The Diamondback and the Prostaff have fully multicoated lenses and are both made in the Philippines.
The Redfield has multicoated lenses and is put together in Oregon.

They are all offered with a choice of plex, or some sort of BDC reticle. I think I would like the Redfield Accurange, or whatever it's called.

Vortex is an easy company to deal with. Redfield has Leupold behind them.

When you move up in power, good scopes cost more. A $400 Nikon is going to outperform a $200 Nikon. But you knew that. People who have Redfields, Diamondbacks, and ProStaffs like them.

This is a pick 'em. Too close to call. Whichever one you choose, there is an excellent chance that you will like it just fine.
str8ripin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote str8ripin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 11:09
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  THATS THE KIND OF INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 11:39
Originally posted by str8ripin str8ripin wrote:

do tell

Get up on the wrong side of the bed? No need to get snippy.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 11:52
I find it really hard to get excited about any of those.  I would much rather have a used scope off Samplelist like a Zeiss Conquest or a bushnell 4200 etc.  4-12 doesnt do much for me either I feel like 4x on the low end should buy me at least 14 to 16 on the high end, and three of the last four scopes I bought werer 5-20 so 4-12 na I'd go 3-9 and better glass before I'd do that. Several companies offer a deal on their better scopes in a 3-9

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/29/2011 at 11:53

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 17:28
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I find it really hard to get excited about any of those.  I would much rather have a used scope off Samplelist like a Zeiss Conquest or a bushnell 4200 etc.  4-12 doesnt do much for me either I feel like 4x on the low end should buy me at least 14 to 16 on the high end, and three of the last four scopes I bought werer 5-20 so 4-12 na I'd go 3-9 and better glass before I'd do that. Several companies offer a deal on their better scopes in a 3-9

Totally agree...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 18:14
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

I haven't used any of these 4-12 or 4-16 scopes, but I'm going to chime in here anyway.

IMO, the three 4-12 scopes that you listed are the correct 3 scopes to consider in this power/price range.

The Diamondback is the oldest design of these 3. The ProStaff was recently upgraded. The Redfield design is only a few years old.

The Diamondback and the Prostaff have fully multicoated lenses and are both made in the Philippines.
The Redfield has multicoated lenses and is put together in Oregon.

They are all offered with a choice of plex, or some sort of BDC reticle. I think I would like the Redfield Accurange, or whatever it's called.

Vortex is an easy company to deal with. Redfield has Leupold behind them.

When you move up in power, good scopes cost more. A $400 Nikon is going to outperform a $200 Nikon. But you knew that. People who have Redfields, Diamondbacks, and ProStaffs like them.

This is a pick 'em. Too close to call. Whichever one you choose, there is an excellent chance that you will like it just fine.

I had forgotten about the Prostaff upgrade. Do you have or use one? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 18:58
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I don't have one, but looked through one for a while a couple of weeks ago and liked what I saw.
No, I'm not talking about the brunette in the short shorts that I was watching through the Nikon  (very nice,) I mean the scope seemed pretty good to me.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 19:14
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I don't have one, but looked through one for a while a couple of weeks ago and liked what I saw.
No, I'm not talking about the brunette in the short shorts that I was watching through the Nikon  (very nice,) I mean the scope seemed pretty good to me.
I think your perspective was skewed...
How are you, Alan?  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jannypan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

My mother married a donkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jannypan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 02:12
<If you ever get face to face with a spammer...  well, you know what to do>

Edited by koshkin - July/30/2011 at 02:29
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic