OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sako or Cooper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 10:00
its Roedale, but the rail is way to high to be useful, unless your using the action for a tactical build with an adjustable cheek.  whats needed is something like the old Redfield bases that tap on with slots cut in them instead of set up for turn rings.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 12:43
I stand corrected. Thanks, Gents. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 15:07
With my recent trouble with mounts for Sako I'll probably go with Cooper. I don't mind paying for quality but hate to pay extra just because of limited options and still not be able to get an optimal solution.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 15:33
i'm not sure how the 75 and 85 differ from the a7 i just bought... but talley 1 piece lightweight's worked no problem.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 16:52
Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

i'm not sure how the 75 and 85 differ from the a7 i just bought... but talley 1 piece lightweight's worked no problem.
The SWFA specs list them to fit the A7 but there is no mention of the 75 or 85.

If anyone knows a good place to buy rings and bases,please let me know. I want something other than the Optilocks. All I can find is Leupold and Burris.From what I gather Talley are better but I can't find any.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 16:56
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/

Give Talley a call directly, Brother. I loathe Opti Locs. 
I used Talleys on my 75 .300 WM and like all Talley products, they were stellar. 
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 17:12
i *think* the main difference is that the a7 comes with mounts installed, but the 75 and 85, like the tikka t3, have an integral rail, so you can attach pretty much whatever rings you want, as long as they don't have an integral base.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 18:19
The mounts used for A7 and 75/85 are NOT the same.  The difference is the 75 & 85 receiver has the traditional flat top with the integral tapered dovetail mount connection, and the A7 has a round top with threaded mount connection.  The A7 thus has more mount options available than the 75/85.  The 75/85 has to either use a ringmount or dovetail adapters.  Since mount bases don't attach to the Sako dovetail receiver with cap screws, Talley lightweights aren't offered for the 75/85.  I prefer the Talley steel fixed or QD rings with their base adapter for Sako 75/85 personally.

Like Mark, I too detest the Optilock mounts.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 19:43
What Rifledude said :)

he's right on the money

I want to put my AV 25-06 in a Edge McMillan stock that is a clone of the old Sako Hunter model

I am running the Talley setup on this rifle but have used Leupold and Warnes
My son's L579 243 runs leupolds and I have used Warnes, they stopped making them though for Sakos.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 21:46
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Warnes, they stopped making them though for Sakos.

I used some Warnes for my Sako 75 Grey Wolf and recently purchased some new ones so I could mount my Swaro 3-10 with a 1 inch tube on it. My old Warnes were 30mm. So you may be able to find some.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 00:03
I tried Warnes a few years ago. They DID NOT fit the tapered dovetail of my 75...were oversized and sloppy. When I contacted the folks at Warne, they blamed Sako for changing their specs / sizes. They would not take the mounts back, so now they are dust collectors in my spare stuff box. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 04:49
Leupold mounts served my Sako well too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic