OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex vs Redfield Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rharmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex vs Redfield Scopes
    Posted: August/02/2011 at 17:24
What can anybody tell me about the Vortex brand scopes, Viper, Diamond back, Crossfire?  I'm just getting onto long range hunting, and I think I need a minimum of a 14 magnification scope for 300+ yard hunting.  And I have been considering the Viper brand.

I'v also been considering the Redfield Revolution 4-12x40, but i'm concerned that the 12x magnification might be too low.  I'm 50 years old and eye's aren't as good as they use to be.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 19:56
If your budget allows, I think you'll find the optics of the Viper more gratifying.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 20:23
Have had a 3-9 redfield and several vipers, the vipers are a bit clearer as Lucytuma states.  Also they have turrets better suited for spinning if you do like dialing in. The redfield turrets aren't ment to be messed with once they are set so unless your get the accurange reticle for holdover its a guess if you need to make a shot over your "Zero" with there plex reticle. 
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 21:11
+1 Viper

I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 21:25
I know you didnt mention nikon but I would take a look at the new prostaff. It now has turrents that can be returned to zero. It is clear and bright. You should have no problem getting to 300 yrds with ther 3-9 or 4-12.
Dont take yourself to seriously
rharmon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rharmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 12:32
where are the Viper & Nikon made
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 12:53
regular vipers are the phillipines not sure on the nikon
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 13:09
Vortex is a great company.  I have had a couple Vipers and have been very happy with them for the money.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 13:50
Originally posted by rharmon rharmon wrote:

I was told both the Viper and Nikon Monarch are manufactured in the same Philippines factory.
-Matt
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 04:59
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by rharmon rharmon wrote:

I was told both the Viper and Nikon Monarch are manufactured in the same Philippines factory.

Philippine kenko plant does make the viper and monarch line of scopes as well as a couple of other scope brands. Although the plant is in the philippines, the plant is partly owned by Japanese Foreign Investors who also own optic manufacturing companies in Japan. The cost of labor their at the plant is among the highest here in the phil so it's safe to assume at least that their product is of good quality considering the manufacturing cost. Smile
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 11:22
Viper makes an outstanding optic. If you havent already, I would look into the ss line. They have a 5-20 that will suit your long range needs. It comes with an illuminated mil based reticle called the "Mil-Quad" and it is first focal plane with 10 mils of adjustment per revolution. The SS and the Viper are both outstanding optics and have the reviews to back them up.

If you have any questions about either optic pm me.

Edited by Chris Farris II - August/11/2011 at 12:32
Dillon@SWFA.com
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 23:30
I would go with the Viper over the Redfield.  They are a better scope with better glass.
CDR3
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 13:17
FWIW, the new turret equipped Prostaff scopes are also made in the Philippines, as are the older Nikon Buckmasters.
IIRC,Vortex Diamondbacks are also made there.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic