OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Buying a Gun from Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a Gun from Canada
    Posted: August/05/2011 at 14:33

Has anyone in Optics Talk Land bought a gun from someone in Canada? Someone has a gun listed for sale on a Canadian forum and I would like to purchase it. It is a Bolt action with a 24" barrel so it is not a restricted firearm.

I have read and researched and have seen everything from they can ship it to a US FFL to it will take 2 years and all my money.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 14:46
can you not just fine one in the US like it?
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 15:19
Have not had much luck. The older model Tikka's M595, M695
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 19:28
I'd go with the 2 years and all your money estimate.

I looked into buying a car from Canada when I lived in Alaska. You had to use an import broker. Even when the canadian dollar was in the crapper compared to the US dollar it wasn't worth it.

With the whole canadian gun registration program, their rules, our rules, international gun import/export rules...and worst of all Canada Post. I can't imagine the headache. There is no gun in Canada I need that badly. Then again I have never done it...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2011 at 08:39
It's much easier to buy one from Mexico in fact BATFE sends all our extra guns there so they can sell them back to us if they dont need them for drive by's.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2011 at 08:53
Even as a gun dealer its all but impossible. I tried for over a month to get ATF to tell me what was required. Never got an answer. It's a shame cause Canada gets some great import deals from China and other countries holding US surplus but due to embargos and a mountain of other red tape we (the US) can't tough them. Ofcourse that could lead me into the underhanded agenda of our current administration concerning disarming us all. But I'll refrain.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic