OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - best scope,scope rings, rangefinder, and spotting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope,scope rings, rangefinder, and spotting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishblade2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best scope,scope rings, rangefinder, and spotting
    Posted: August/08/2011 at 19:01
I am wondering what is the best scope for my .308 savage rifle that I'm getting. I have looked into swarovski but don't know about them still. I am looking into other scopes such as leupold and I found another brand called us optics but overall I'm new scopes and language such as parallax (which I just figured out). Any help will be appreciated. I also of course need help finding scope mounts, rangefinder, and spotting scope. Thanks!
I am wondering what is the best scope for my .308 savage rifle I'm getting. I have looked into Swarovski but just don't know. I'm looking into other scopes such as leupold and I found another brand called US Optics. They are extremely expensive. I want to push the limit with this gun 1000 yards plus at least but at the same time be able to shoot at 100 yards if I wanted. Overall though I'm new to scopes and the scope language such as parallax (which I figured out on this website)! Any help with picking the best scope and also knowing the difference in the scopes (like what to look for with scopes) would be appreciated. I also of course need help finding scope mounts, rangefinder, and spotting scope. Lastly about scopes I would love to know out of all the scopes the best for a reasonable price to put on a factory built .243 that I have. Thanks!
Fish
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 19:33
Well,best is subjective and depends on what you want and are able to do with the rifles.I have no idea what kind of Savage you are getting and if it would even benefit from a $1000 plus scope.The thousand yard game is also something not intended for beginners.

I don't want to sound too critical but the only reason to spend more money on equipment is when you know for sure that it is the limiting factor in what you are trying to accomplish.There are several very serviceable scopes starting around $200. Rings depend a lot on your scope and rifle combo.Spotting scopes start about the same price.

I'm not saying spending money on good equipment isn't worth it but sometimes it is better to wait a while untill you have a better idea of what you need and why you need it to make a better choice.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 20:50
What are your uses?

What is your budget?

What is the model of firearm?

Answer these and good advice will follow from the many knowledgeable folks on the forum.

Welcome to the OT!
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 07:18
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

What are your uses?

What is your budget?

What is the model of firearm?

Answer these and good advice will follow from the many knowledgeable folks on the forum.

Welcome to the OT!
+1
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 07:30
Its best to learn how to drive the family beater, before getting behind the wheel of a Ferrari. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 07:48
As above +2.Try & get to a range & check out what the people are using & ask plenty of questions.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 08:28
What... is your name...

What.. is your quest...

What... is the best scope, rings, mount, rangefinder, spotting scope...

Aiiiieeeaaaagghhhh

A little more information on your intentions would be required...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 08:38

Coffee!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 11:54
I'm new to the forum, and like yourself, am new to optics.  I suggest a lot of research.  I also believe in not doing things twice.  I'd rather spend more now on a proven "good" scope then buy cheap now and expensive later. Be realistic with your goals, the amount of use, and the cost/benefit will start to become apparent.  i.e. spending 2k on a scope for a gun that will be used at the range a couple times a year doesn't seem worth it. I tend to "over-engineer" everything, so this is harder for me than it sounds. With that being said, everyone has different depth pockets.  Specs say a lot, but the reviews from a 100s of people also speak volumes.

My research suggests the SWFA 3-9.  From the reviews, it appears to use the same glass as the HD.  I'm still researching the other SWFA scopes as I am trying to build a nice multi purpose gun with Hogs and coyotes as the main focus.   The conquest would be next in line.  Not that this particular scope is the one for you, but research suggests that the quality/clarity is on par with much more expensive scopes.

NOTE:  I have not physically handled or compared any of the above mentioned scopes. 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 14:02
What is your Savage going to be chambered in? You may be getting a cartridge that can't get to 1,000yds to suit your needs.
What is your intended use? Are you shooting paper targets for score in a match, and what kind of match (F-class, tactical, etc.)? Are you plinking at steel plates at 1,000yds? Are you using your rifle for hunting?
What is your intended use for your rifle and scope?
Which Savage are you getting, and does it fit your intended purpose?
You can race a dump truck in the Le Mans, but you can't win the race, but you can't haul 10 tons of dirt in a Corvette either. Match the tool for the job.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic