OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 win vs 300 win short mag........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobaldoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 win vs 300 win short mag........
    Posted: August/15/2011 at 23:31
was looking at the short mag but cant see what the diff is between the 2.. velocity energy and trajectory all seem pretty close to the same,was wondering what the purpose of the short mag was.it says the short mag reduces recoil but from what ive heard its the opposite...seems to have more of a kick than the push you get from the 300 win mag.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 10:04
win mag is a full length action, short mag is a short action... pretty sure that's the major difference.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 10:33
According to my loading manuals, the 300 Short Mag will not load the heavier bullits. At least I didn't see any data for them.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 21:32
I shoot a 300 wsm. The cartridge is pretty much equal to the 300 win mag, until you get over 180gr. bullets. With the heavies, the win mag runs away and hides from the shorty. When my Savage was still a factory 6.6lbs, yes it hurt on both ends. Now that it has an aftermarket stock, and a very heavy 26" barrel, not so much.
 And if you are reloading, the shorty does not have a belt. This made a difference to me... 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 21:39
I use to a 300WSM.  I have a peculiar disorder when I walk into a gunshop, that I often leave with something that I don't need.  I got tired of spending about $40 a box on ammo, and I was already set to reload in another caliber anyway so I sold it. 

I don't know if this is still true, but the 300WSM had the highest or close to it pressure of any round.  The 8mm Rem mag might have been higher at  67,000 while the 300WSM was 65,000 but maybe it was the other way around too?  I cant recall off the top of my head at the moment.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 22:02
I shot 200 Accubonds out of my old 300 wsm, and it loved them at 2830 fps.

I think that recoil thing is a bit of an old wives tale.  A 180 grain .308 bullet traveling at 3000 fps from a 9 pound rifle generates the same recoil regardless of the cartridge shape.

A handloader can get more out of the 300 Win. due to its larger case capacity.  The factory WSM loads get high velocities due to optimized powders (think RL17).

I like both cartridges.
-Matt
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 07:31
performance from the two are close enough to call a wash.. The WSM employs a short action will will save on weight and rifle length .. Ammunition for both is readily available and shouldn't be an issue with either .. you can't go wrong with either choice , so hit a gun shop and see which one just "fits" you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic