OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Huskemaw optics, holy freak'in hell!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huskemaw optics, holy freak'in hell!
    Posted: August/16/2011 at 12:21
So I stumbled upon the "Outdoor Channel", a new addition to my cable lineup.  

**First, I should note that this is NOT a product review or based on first-hand experience with said product!

On the show, "Best of the West", they had a "product review" of the Huskemaw optics scope with their custom BDC knob and their 8 MOA windage reticle.

They took about 2 minutes to explain how the reticle and turret work, no math, no complicated formulas.  Where I have a problem is what they said after the explanation:

"With the Huskemaw system, any hunter can dial in and accurately take a 714 yard shot, with no math, no calculations, just dial in and shoot. Easy."

Check your fire!

If your rifle is capable of a 700 yard shot, if you ammo is capable of a 700 yard shot, if your breathing control is capable of a 700 yard shot, if your trigger control is capable of a 700 yard shot, if your parallax is set for a 700 yard shot, if you body position is set for a 700 yard shot, if your cheek weld is set properly for a 700 yard shot, if you wind call is accurate for a 700 yard shot, if your range is called correctly for a 700 yrd shot, if your...

Am I being too stupid?  Am I complicating an incredibly simple thing?

Having fired many weapons at many targets, ranging from point-blank to well over 1,000 yards, I can say with some authority that there is no easy 700 yard shot that "any hunter" can take on game.  Hell, I'd go so far as to say most hunters shouldn't attempt anything over about 300 yards.  There is ethical hunting, and there is this drivel.

I have never used a Huskemaw scope, and never will; not because they suck (they might not) but because their marketing is pure garbage.  Any product that attempts to convince Bobby-Joe-Bubba-Bill that he can take a 700 yard shot on a living animal - and it will be "easy" - is lying.

I have a great 1,000 yard gun, a very accurate laser rangefinder, the best optics  money can buy,  a Kestrel 4500 for wind calls and atmospheric data, a range card for that rifle and that bullet at that altitude,  and a bullet that can hit with authority at 1,000 yards - and I have made more than a few less-than-perfect shots at 700 yards.

I am curious to know if the scope is decent, but am absolutely certain that their marketing is as disingenuous as a Iranian leader promising me they ain't building an atomic bomb.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - August/16/2011 at 12:21
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 12:37
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Having fired many weapons at many targets, ranging from point-blank to well over 1,000 yards, I can say with some authority that there is no easy 700 yard shot that "any hunter" can take on game.  Hell, I'd go so far as to say most hunters shouldn't attempt anything over about 300 yards.  There is ethical hunting, and there is this drivel.

Any product that attempts to convince Bobby-Joe-Bubba-Bill that he can take a 700 yard shot on a living animal - and it will be "easy" - is lying.

I saw this many years ago before the latest in firearms and optics appeared; too many 100 yd hunters with 400 yd guns. Some of those I've seen at the club shouldn't even shoot at a deer over 40 yds.
The ethics of long range big game hunting comes up around here a bit. I have no problem with the small minority that are qualified to do it. Pushing a product convincing the unkowing that they can make these shots is just as much an ethics issue. I sense your anger too, RC.
Doug
Bobby-Joe-Bubba-Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby-Joe-Bubba-Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 13:12
What are you trying to say about me?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 13:18
Excellent
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 13:24
Originally posted by Bobby-Joe-Bubba-Bill Bobby-Joe-Bubba-Bill wrote:

Nice glasses.....
Doug
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 13:32
Originally posted by Bobby-Joe-Bubba-Bill Bobby-Joe-Bubba-Bill wrote:

Welcome to the OT, I hear you couldn't hit sand if you fell off a camel.

An anecdote (excuse me if I have posted this previously):

I hunt with a precision long-range gun.  Strangely, many of my hunting buddies shoot 257 Wby and laugh at my piddly 308 or 300WM.  On more than one occasion, their 257-hit animal has run and my 308-hit animal had dropped on the spot - leading a few newbies to say, "damn, what are you shooting?"

On one hunt last year with 2 friends, one who hunts allot, one who doesn't own a rifle and hunts sparingly, we were in a box before sunrise.  This was a managed land hunt and we were gunning for does and hogs.  Friend 1 (the hunter), using a rifle I built and sold him (literally a 0.25MOA gun out to 600 yards) took the first doe at about 100 yards: bang-flop.
Friend 2 (who borrowed a 270 from me, dropped it while getting in the box, then decided to use Friend 1's 308) had a shot on a doe.  He had a nice supported position in the blind but decided to take the shot (with the 15-pound gun) offhand.  Have I mentioned this is the most accurate 308 I have owned/used?  Topped with a Zeiss Victory FL 6-24, he took the shot at about 40 yards, went for a head-shot, and almost blew the jaw completely off the doe.  She was as confused as were we, and she went down to a second shot a few seconds later.

All that to say this: first rate rifle, my best hand loads, best glass money can buy, simple shot, inexperienced hunter = fail.

For Huskemaw to tell ANYONE a 700 yard shot is easy is an affront to skilled marksman and is a great way to guarantee many animals will die a prolonged and painful death.

Lastly, my favorite 300WM has posted 2.5-inch groups at 600 yards, and I don't take head shots with it.  Why risk it?

Some hunt long range (as did I, in my youth), and that is their decision.  For a company to encourage EVERYONE (who can afford their scope) to do likewise is wrong, no way around it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 14:15
I used to be interested in that concept until I started trying to shoot out past 600 yards and learned more about all those things you mentioned, plus wind. The only reason I do it now is to make the shots at half that distance or less easier. I hunt with a .308 so 300 yards is the limit for elk, maybe 350 to 400 for deer and really haven't had a reason to take a shot that far on either for all the time I've been hunting. I could see shooting a pronghorn out to 400-450 if I was dead sure and the conditions were just right. But 600-1000 is for testing yourself against paper or steel with everything you've got. I've found it humbling.

Reaction time is a factor...
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 14:39
ok, so a company sponsored a tv show and the host of said tv show made somewhat outrageous claims about said company's optics.

anyone who is naive enough to get the bulk of their hunting education from television shows on the outdoors channel is probably beyond help.

edited to be less inflamatory.

Edited by Dyelynn - August/16/2011 at 14:45
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 15:11
Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

ok, so a company sponsored a tv show and the host of said tv show made somewhat outrageous claims about said company's optics.

anyone who is naive enough to get the bulk of their hunting education from television shows on the outdoors channel is probably beyond help.

edited to be less inflamatory.
I don't think Rancids post had anything to do with this. The fact that they don't know better as you mentioned is the starting point. The unforgiveable nature of a company to try and sell this crap, not to mention the animals that will suffer as a result, is what he is fed up with. Ok, maybe if we lived in a world where everyone "knew better" but guess what we don't. Someone will go buy that scope and try and take that shot. At the very least we could hope for he doesn't wound the animal not to mention the countless other things he could accidentally shoot. I sell optics every single day and you would be really surprised how many times I hear "I saw on the outdoor channel" so don't discard it immediately. If they had not said "this 700 yard shot would be easy" would people still try and shoot stuff outside of their experience range? Probably. Now they have added fuel to the fire and encouraged the chaos though. The fact that someone promoting the hunting industry insists on promoting it this way disgusts me. I have had this same conversation about people who bring up Huskemaw and I tell them straight up that this is why we do not carry them. They are unethical and outrageously quick to make a penny for the wrong reasons. I never knock optics companies ever, but I wouldn't give them enough credit to justify them as a company period.

Edited to add: If everyone already knew everything they needed to know about hunting and optics without outside information, such as forums, tv shows, magazines, this forum among others wouldn't still exist. When someone googles Huskemaw and this comes up I want to make sure they know if they didn't already what I stated above.

Edited by Chris Farris II - August/16/2011 at 15:42
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 15:15
And, if you order right now, we'll throw in two Sham-Wows completely free of charge! Bull feces. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 15:21
aren't they the ones who wanted you to prepay back when they first came out?
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 15:28
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

aren't they the ones who wanted you to prepay back when they first came out?
I think so, but then again I never paid much attention to them other than pointing people in another direction.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 17:38
Well stated RC and CF2! 
(With holding "clappy" emoticon for RC's benefit.)  

I'm more than sure Chris and the gang @ SWFA could tell ya some tales "from the sales counter" that could curl your hair. Some of the junk I've witnessed from fellow shooters at the range or at a gun shop who bought into the marketing hype these days is frightening enough for me. 

P.T. Barnum comes to mind.....  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 23:18
wow, that's utterly ridiculous and hugely irresponsible.
never tried any of their stuff as it just reeks of marketing hype and BS

as my dad says "if it walks like a duck..."

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 07:37
I couldn't agree with you more RC but just look at the posts on this forum saying help me pick out a new scope , I'll be hunting deer and elk up to 600 yds 700yds (pick a number), or my favorites ,the ones that are constantly picking out the best 180 class buck out of a thicket at 400 yds on the dark of the moon. The internet is full of people that have had their equipment cost them numerous chances at trophy class animals at ridiculous ranges and conditions like it is an everyday occurance. Actually I'm surprised that you haven't had a flame war on your hands from the guys that hunt/shoot like that everyday for posting this blasphemous thread.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 08:06
I bet i could use a toilet paper roll tube and do just as well at 700 yards as one of those *cough*countersniper*cough* wannabees!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 10:47
That was a well thought out post RC. I routinely practice out to 700 yards, and occasionally 900, and I've not had any of them be "easy". You best have your stuff together when you squeeze the trigger to get good hits. I would not shoot at a game animal at that range, just because I could make a small mistake, and it would equal a big mistake. Like a wounded animal. Congratulations to anyone who can shoot game at 700+ yards, and be absolutely certain to get a clean kill, but I'm guessing that's less than 1% of all hunters. I'm not confident enough to try.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 21:38
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

And, if you order right now, we'll throw in two Sham-Wows completely free of charge! Bull feces. 
How much for just the Sham- Wows?
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 21:50
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

How much for just the Sham- Wows?

yep, I shoot at 750 and 1K about once a month
off a bench, in a controlled, known distance, enviornment

I can hit a 5" plate consistently at 750 but but it sure doesn't take much wind change to cause a miss

400 yards is about max for what I feel comfortable with on game and that's pushing it under field conditions.  What may one second be 400 might be 450 3 seconds later....

I was taught to pass if you weren't 1000% confident you had the shot and could do a clean 1 shot kill.

Edited by ccoker - August/19/2011 at 07:21
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 21:57
Best thread I've seen in a long time.
Most of these posts are my sentiments exactly. 
And I like to shoot at extended range.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic