OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Smallbore scope info needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgt_gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smallbore scope info needed
    Posted: August/17/2011 at 18:56
I'm scoping a Kimber 82 for indoor small bore and maybe some mini Palma. I'm looking at scopes similar to the Weaver V16 and Bushnell Elite 4200 8-24. I don't think I need to spend the money on a Leupold for what's going to be a mostly short range indoor scope, so are there any other scopes that zoom out to the 24x neighborhood that also have an AO? Thanks for any info.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 06:00
Sightron comes to mind as a cost effective scope fitting your description.
Doug
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 06:35
Might want to check out the Vortex Vipers too!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 11:02
Vipers are side focus, and likely can't parallax adjust down as far as he'd need for indoor smallbore (which is likely at 50ft) when being used at full magnification. My 6.5-20x Viper will only handle down to about 40yds on maximum power, then the parallax goes off and even focus gets wonky.
There aren't many side focus scopes that will focus down as far as you'll likely need for smallbore, so it's pretty much an AO only proposition at those close ranges.

OP, if you need top end magnification over 16x, then I think the Weaver V16 is a good bet, depending on your price range.  It's probably the cheapest decent quality AO scope with both a close focus capability and over 16x max power.

Another option is the new Bushnell Elites. They're basically similar to the older 4200 line and would give better glass than the V16, but with about a 50% premium in price. Check their stats for how close they'll focus/remove parallax.

Sightron also has several SII Big Sky models with AO that adjusts down pretty far (10yds, IIRC?) Check their stats.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 13:44
I'll also throw this one out:
I have had one on a heavy kicking spring gun with no problems yet. I don't dial it but I use the AO all the time. The optics are much better than the price would suggest.
Doug
bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 21:40
The Kimber sounds nice...give it the best!Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic