OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Butler Creek lens covers - BEWARE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butler Creek lens covers - BEWARE
    Posted: August/19/2011 at 09:48
Over the past 20 years, I have owned at least 200 Butler Creek lens covers.  When a new scope is inbound,  Butler Creeks have always been installed before the rifle gets any action.

Over the past 6 months, I have purchased 6 sets of Butler Creeks, 5 of the 6 objective covers have broken  under normal use (one while being installed.)

Over the 20 years I've used them, scopes have gone down rock faces, been dropped, dragged, and otherwise "used" and yes, a Butler Creek has died on very rare occasion.  With the new covers, they barely survive being installed (and sometimes they don't), much less stand up to actual real-world use.

I've asked around elsewhere and been told by very knowledgeable shooters that they too have seen the quality nosedive on this much loved and trusted product.

Now I wish I hadn't thrown away all those bikini covers!

Huge business opportunity for someone!  I will buy no more Butler Creek covers.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:07
I have broke 6 of them in the last year all of them have been recent purchases, I actually broke two of them 3 weekends ago. (both eyepieces) The ones I have that are several years old are working great.

Also the don't lock down as well, and the red tabs seem weaker and the springs seem weaker as well. 

I love having them on the scopes, but I may just be getting scope coats for my stuff.  It seems like a waste of money any more.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:20
I broke one yesterday. It was about 5 months old. I also have some older (like ten years) ones that are doing great.
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:22
I've got to agree with the two of you. I stummbled upon a box of misc BC covers a few months ago at my FFLs that had been sitting for a few years, got the whole box for $20, had about 10-12 covers in it.  So far I've been able to use half.  I guess the saying is true "They just don't make stuff like they use to"
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:35
So I am not the only one with this problem. I also have a few eyepiece covers that will not open like they should. And on the same rifles the objective covers do not stay closed.

I have always said you should not complain to others until you have contacted someone who can actually do something about it. So I am going to contact Butler Creek and see what they have to say about this.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:46
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

So I am not the only one with this problem. I also have a few eyepiece covers that will not open like they should. And on the same rifles the objective covers do not stay closed.

I have always said you should not complain to others until you have contacted someone who can actually do something about it. So I am going to contact Butler Creek and see what they have to say about this.
Good for you, Sparky.
You might want to point Butler Creek at this thread...
you just saved me a purchase price for 3 sets and some aggravation, no doubt.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:48
FYI if you want to contact them here is the number and info.

Customer Service At Butler Creek, customer satisfaction is our top priority. Therefore, we want to give
our customers the convenience of contacting us in a number of different ways.

UNITED STATES
Bushnell Outdoor Products
9200 Cody
Overland Park, KS 66214-1734
In Kansas City area - (913) 752-3400
Consumers - (800) 423-3537
Dealers - (800) 221-9035
Fax - (913) 752-3550

I have been on hold for ten minutes so far.

Edited by Sparky - August/19/2011 at 10:49
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:51

Customer Service At Butler Creek, customer satisfaction is our top priority. Therefore, we want to give

UNITED STATES
9200 Cody
Dealers - (800) 221-9035
Fax - (913) 752-3550

I think i know the problem fellas lol
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 11:07
I gave up on them
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 11:48
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

UNITED STATES
9200 Cody
Dealers - (800) 221-9035
Fax - (913) 752-3550

I think i know the problem fellas lol

Does the word Bushnell strike fear into your heart? LOL.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 11:54
yep, as of late it does.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 11:56
Sounds like a company needs to step up and make some "heavy duty" ones
cb_rem View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cb_rem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 12:43
Thank you for posting. I thought I had a lemon. Went back to my bikini covers.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 12:56
I did talk with Bushnell just now and was taken care of. So my CS experience has been very positive.

The CS rep was Alpha and he said he is going to join Opticstalk and post on this topic. So I will let him comment further on this.
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 14:35
From what I've heard the original BC sold out and since then the quality has went down the tube.  The last time I bought some BC caps was around in January, and at that time I noticed that their "sizing" had changed.  The caps I bought are still holding up thus far, but now I'm nervous.  I guess I'll just play this by ear and see what others are saying.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 15:35
I also had a failure on a B/K eye piece cover this year. The rifle was used by a friend and when he returned it, the cap was missing.  I thought maybe he had snagged it on something, but now I'm starting to wonder.  I've never had a failure until this past year?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
akula88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 23:25
Same here, I broke the eyepiece cover of my Conquest when it snagged a barricade. :(

So what's the alternative?  I don't like bikini covers.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2011 at 06:24
You can try the Quake Ind. "Bushwacker" covers instead.  I've got several sets of these and have been happy with them overall, though I have broken 1 cover a few years ago.  From my experience, they grip the scope tighter and stay in place better than BC, due to the fact the ring is a softer, stretchier material and the sizing is tighter.

http://www.quakeinc.com/opticcover.html
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2011 at 12:13
I didn't realize that Bushnell owned them, but it makes since now. I know some people love Bushnell products, but I've found them to be a let down every time I use their products. I've really tried to like the Elite rifles scopes, but they just clearly show that they are still a Bushnell imo. The only products I've had from them I've thought were halfway decent was a couple of Simmons scopes and a Tasco. Although the best Simmons I have was made before Bushnell acquired Simmons. The ones I've had after Bushnell owned them were decent, but didn't track anywhere near like they should which most Bushnells I've had haven't other than the 3200 Elite Tactical 10x. Neither were anything special, but they were decent imo, and better than most of the actual Bushnell marked products I've had.  

Edited by slowr1der - August/20/2011 at 12:16
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 14:59
As I understand it, once an investment company buys something with name recognition, it becomes a waiting game till the quality plummets, and the wait ain't usually too long.

Rest in peace, Butler Creek, you'll get no more of my hard-earned cash.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic