OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Help... Idiotic Sling Problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help... Idiotic Sling Problem.
    Posted: August/24/2011 at 13:14
I didn't see a "sling" thread so I'll post it here.  Like an idiot newcomer to hunting, I'm trying to figure out how to attach a Butler Creek rifle sling to the swivel.  You'd think it's stupid proof but apparently I'm testing that theory...  I've always had leather slings on my rifles that just feed through the swivel and then the clasps hook in the desired holes.

I decided to pick up a Butler Creek rifle sling and because the leather was cutting into my shoulder the last two years.  Wanted something softer, quieter, and wider.

SO...   I can't get the webbing to feed through the buckle.  I leave the buckle on, feed the webbing through the sling, and try to double in back through the buckle (underneath).  The problem I've found

On both ends of the webbing straps they've doubled it about an inch on itself and sewn it.  The doubled ends are so thick I can't get them to feed back through the buckle (it's essentially trying to passed three webbing thickness through the buckle slots.  I don't know if I'm completely missing something or if I should cut off the portion that's sewn back on itself so I can pass it through the buckle.  It would probably work then but if that's how it supposed to go I assume they wouldn't have sewn it back on itself in the first place...

I'm wondering if I'm evening trying to install it correctly.  It didn't come with instructions as it was out of the box in Cabelas bargin cave.  The fact that they've double it back and sewn it creates a loop.  Does someone manufacture the loop portions of swivels (don't know the official name)  that open and allow you to pass it through a looped strap?  If so, it would make sense that the straps would be doubled back and sewn...created a loop.

Get on with the ridicule boys...just be sure to follow it up with a solution to my problemBig Smile

Should I just cut the double portion off and melt the nylon webbing?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 13:40
Which Butler Creek sling and what type swivels are we talking about here
Byu_Au_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 13:59
I don't know the specific model of sling as it came without a box/paper work since it was in Cabelas Bargin Cave.  The upper portion of the sling has one buckle.  The lower portion has three buckles. 

The swivels are a few years old but I believe they are uncle mikes qr.

I'll try to upload some pictures but have to figure out exactly how the works first... 

Hope this helps.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 14:06
Let's see if this works...  Here's some photos.  You'll need to copy and past the url into your address bar.  I tried using the insert link function but in the preview it won't navigate to the Picasa album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Emag.other/August242011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 14:07
Well that apparently doesn't work either.  Irritating...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 14:11
Ok, think I got it.  Try copy/past this into your address bar.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Emag.other/August242011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPr-qqzkiM78dQ&feat=directlink
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 14:13
You have to have 50 post to insert Pics. PM inbound
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 18:04
needle nose pliers.  The Butler creek sling I have was already through the buckles.  Looks as though someone took that apart.  you might try to get a corner through and get on it with some pliers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic