OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First African safari!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First African safari!
    Posted: August/28/2011 at 11:51
Next summer, I am off to South Africa to hunt, no dangerous game.

Recommendations on weapon, mostly caliber and weight.  How much will I be stalking (warhog and antelope species)?

At the moment, the plan is a 300WM (about 11 pounds) supplemented with either a 257Wby Mag or a 270 Winchester (both about 8 pounds each.)

Thoughts?

Also, for those with first-hand experience: things to be sure I take or things to be sure I do NOT take.  obviously, I have a great knife, a good side arm, and great binos.  What else specific to African safari?

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - August/28/2011 at 11:51
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 11:51
Or should this be under the "general hunting" tab?

It ain't general hunting.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 12:02
Lucky dog.

This sounds right up 8shots and Glock's alley.
God save the Empire!
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 12:23
Sounds like fun! 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 17:00
Best wishes! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 08:06
Lucky bastardBucky
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 08:44

REALLY GLAD for ya,RC. 

Here's a web site that may be of some help.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 19:59
What are you going to be hunting ?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2011 at 00:01
The elusive 8shots?
Bad Bob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2011 at 12:15

Congratulations RC, once you,ve made the trip, you'll be planning your next one by the time you get back. It is a wonderful experience.

I've been very fortunate to hunt South Africa and Mozambique. I've pretty much have only hunted plains game, but it is a most exciting and fullfilling trip. I chose a 300wby, but I found that most any good 300 mag or even a 30-06 was sufficient, with a good bullet. I always use Nosler Partitions or Barnes Triple Shock. I have never lost an animal and have never required more than one shot. The animals I took on my last trip were Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Springbok, Gemsbok, Impala, Duiker, Steinbock, Kudu and Warthog. A 300 was obviosly not required for all these, but it served me well for the larger ones such as the Eland and Zebra. My shots ranged from under 100yds to a hair over 300yds on the Kudu and Gemsbok. You don't need a lot of items. My PH only had me bring two sets of clothes and raingear(just in case). Your clothes are washed and cleaned every day as a rule. Your PH and Trackers will field dress and prepare your capes. Good binos are a must. I experienced mostly spot and stalk on the animals I took.  As you can tell by the way I have rambled on that I love Africa. I'm presently planning another trip for next year if all goes well. If I can provide any additional bits of info, please feel free to give me a shout. It's definitely a trip you'll always remember.

BB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2011 at 12:19
Bob, great info, thanks.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2011 at 14:55

Do you have a PH lined up?

You could get some extra special VIP treatment from the trackers/skinners if you took a carton of Marlboro Reds and divied them out a little at a time.

I'd check into the legality of taking a side arm.

It is important that your cartridge head stamps match what is on the barrel and that the ammo is in a factory type marked box.  You could lose your ammo if it does not match, IE:  6.5 STW marked barrel and cartridges head stamped 7mm STW in an unmarked plastic reloader type container.

You'll need to get all of your shots up to date as well as malaria, tetanus, etc.  Get you Dr. to write you a script for a strong antibiotic like a Z-PAC and start it as soon as you get there to help cut down on the risk of you getting sick and spoiling much of your hunt.  It takes a long time to get there and cost a lot of money so any preventive maintenance you can do will be worth it.

Also don't rely on the PH to have the best shooting sticks, take a Bog-Pod for sure.  Should easily fit in your rifle case.  Throw a cleaning rod in there too.  You won't believe how hard it is to find something to get a stuck case or round out of the chamber in the bush.  Same deal if you stick your muzzle in the mud.  Those little condom looking things that go on your fingers work great as muzzle protectors.

I don't know how remote you will be but I would look into renting or buying a Satellite phone and/or emergency beacon devise.  Don't rely on someone having the number to an evac service either, find it yourself and tape it to the phone.

DEET, good sunscreen and lip protection can make your hunt more pleasant.  We are not acustomed to hunting all day in hot bright sun as most of our seasons are in the winter months and most of our game are only active early and late.  The tops of my ears were bloody from being burnt crispy over and over.  We did find a giant aloe plant one day and man did it feel good on my ears.  I learned real quick why they wear those funny looking safari hats instead of a base ball cap.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2011 at 16:19
It will be interesting to see all the responses you get here.  I am planning a trip in the next year or so.  I hope you get all the info you need and that you have a wonderful time.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 07:01
Rancid Coolaid your choice of caliber is fine,any 30 cal rifle will down any non dangerous animals you are going to shoot. But I would stick to bringing one rifle, seeing as our import restritions are downright frustrating.

You can only shoot one rifle at a time, so unless your rifle breaks which I cant see happening.I would just bring a spare scope and mounting tools, most of the time if you fall it's the scope that gets damaged. Most PH's will lend you a rifle at a price, but I dont like that as you arent familiar with the handling.

Concentrate on your choice of Bullet our animals can be quite tough, especially Wildebeest and Warthog. I would sacrifice a bit of accuracy for a better Bullet constrution. Try practice your shooting positions as much as possible, not just from a bench. Lying down, kneeling, freehand from a rest tree, ect. And get a book on shot placement.

What Chris said is good advise especially about malaria and the hand gun. Basic things you would need are
Comfortable clothes
Good hat
Bino or rangefinder
Ammo pouch
Tripod
Knife
Camera
Water bottle
Good torch or headlamp,
Carry a small medical pouch with some plasters and headache tablets
Small rucksack to carry everyhing in
Good walking shoes are a must, prefably with a hard sole. Seen thorns punch through thin soled shoes.
Try keep it light as you could end up walking quite a bit, although the tracker will glady carry your bag for a tip. I like to buy bottles of Powerade and leave them in my bag in place of water, as they are a good way to replace lost energy.

Regards Chris

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 15:58
300 Winchester Mag is perfect.  257 Weatherby would be very light except for springbuck and impala, etc. . 

Bring some WARM clothes.  It can get very cold in South Africa unless you are going to be in the Low Veldt.  In the high veldt you will be scraping ice off the windshields in the morning. 

Visit the Ed Show
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 16:27
http://www.bugtamer.com/big_leaf.html  Dont know if you are familiar with bugtamer but this stuff is awesome at keeping bugs from getting to you no insect repellant needed.

compass or GPS,  fire, water purification & nalgene bottles,

snake boots?  rubber gloves? lightweight tarp? hatchet?

anything that is really hard for them to get there that has trade value -- ask 8 shots.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 20:32

Bugs aren't that much of a problem in the dry season. 

Optics and cameras ( German stuff ) used to be worth its weight in gold. 

Visit the Ed Show

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 21:27
Sorry, posted the thread and haven't been back for awhile. Thanks for all the advice.

I have customs letter for the guns, have chosen 300WM and 308 as a backup, have gear mostly planned.

Z-pak is a good idea, traveling with Imodium is always smart.

Keep the good stuff coming. I leave in July so still have time to make necessary changes.

I have PH, all animals planned, dates, ammo choice (hand loads in factory boxes, Barnes TTSX bullets.)
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 22:30
I leave 27 April for Johannesburg. My first and I can't wait. My recommendation is to get camera and bins on customs form also. Went to Dallas safari club in January. One other recommendation was buy a cheap money box from Wal Mart for locked ammo box. Remember ammo must be separate from rifle and locked.

Who is the outfitter?

Edited by SChunter - February/18/2012 at 22:52
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 22:31
Also ammo and box had to be under 11 lbs in total.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic