OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mueller or Vortex Crossfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mueller or Vortex Crossfire
    Posted: August/28/2011 at 19:44
Just joined the forum. Looking to put new glass on my CZ 427 Varmint in .204. My eyesight is not that great anymore so need to go to a higher power. I have a 6.5-20 Simmons Whitetail on it now. I need to stick to $200 to $300 price range. I am looking at the Mueller Target Rifle Scope in 8-32x44 with target dot reticle. My second choice is the Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 in fine plex reticle. I have read good reviews and some bad reviews for both and understand that you get what you pay for. I plan to shoot mostly at 100 and 200 yards and occasionally 300. Your thoughts?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 07:42
Keep using what you have until you can save and spend more.  Glass quality will trump magnification any day. all day.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 08:09
I agree with SVT. Save a bit longer and buy in the $600 or so range. At such short distances you should be fine for now.
gunluver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunluver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2011 at 18:48
Just joined also. My friend & I recently purchased AR's & are looking 4 mid 2 long range scopes on a budget. We wood like to stay under $250. We r considering the Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 with illuminated mildot recticle & adjustable objective lens. Also considering a similar Barska or even a Tasco w/same option & price range. Shoot range we predict: site-in at 100yrds reach out to 250/300 yrds maybe even 400yrds. What do u guys think ???
gunluver
shamu25 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2011 at 22:41
Check out the Muellers at swfa.com There is a target model in your price range and the eraticator looks tempting.
Also, for a bargain, check out the Simmons Whitetail Classic "competitor reference removed by Moderator" as it is only about $110. I have one on my .204 and it is awesome for that price. It is a 6.5-20x50. Also, the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 is 70% off marked down to 99 bucks.....I am tempted to gamble on one of these from swfa.com based on the reviews.

We welcome you to the OT Forum, but remind you to READ the rules you agree to when you sign up as a member of the Forum.  

Edited by Kickboxer - September/30/2011 at 07:39
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 07:37
Originally posted by shamu25 shamu25 wrote:

Check out the Muellers at swfa.com There is a target model in your price range and the eraticator looks tempting.
Also, the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 is 70% off marked down to 99 bucks.....I am tempted to gamble on one of these from swfa.com based on the reviews.

Please abide by the rules that you agreed to when joining the OT.
Originally posted by Optics Talk Rules. Optics Talk Rules. wrote:

3. Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA. SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 08:03
Indiana Jones
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 09:03
Originally posted by gunluver gunluver wrote:

Just joined also. My friend & I recently purchased AR's & are looking 4 mid 2 long range scopes on a budget. We wood like to stay under $250. We r considering the Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 with illuminated mildot recticle & adjustable objective lens. Also considering a similar Barska or even a Tasco w/same option & price range. Shoot range we predict: site-in at 100yrds reach out to 250/300 yrds maybe even 400yrds. What do u guys think ???

I think you don't need or want NEARLY that much magnification for those kinds of ranges.  I, personally, would not purchase a Barska and would have great reservations on a Tasco.  Check out the Swift Premier scope line if you are wanting to stay low cost with better than you pay for glass, quality and warranty/customer service.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 17:35
maybe a 8x with a 32mm objective would be more appropiate...
No one
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 21:35
More magnification in a cheap scope will be unusable. 

Is this for varmint hunting or target shooting? If target I would look at a fixed power scope such as a SS 10x or a 16x. And they do make a 20x as well. All are under the $300 mark. These will be much clearer than what you already have.

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 00:14
ss 10x all day, it's a stupid good scope for $300
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic