OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trouble sighting in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble sighting in
    Posted: August/29/2011 at 15:36

Rig:  Rem 700 SPS Camo .30-06/Redfield 3-9 X40 Scope/Leupold Dual dovetail mounts

Ammo: Walmart Special Remington 180 grain.

Well I have finished my second trip to the range with my new rifle with bad results again.  I figured I would ask here to get other opinions and thoughts on my problem.

After my first sighting in being unsuccessful, I took the rifle home, cleaned it meticulously and removed the scope and rings.  I mechanical zeroe’d my scope and then went about putting everything back on and double checking myself every step of the way.

Looking to sight in at 200 yds, I got to the range, placed the gun on the rest and used the barrel to line up the sight on the target.  Just a few clicks off the starting point and chambered and fired two rounds.  They were between an inch and a half and two inches left.  I adjusted right and put myself 2 inches high, expecting to look eventually at zero at 200 yds.  I then moved to 100 yds, and fired a shot.  As luck would have it, wind blew the target over after that shot and before I could confirm where it hit.  With about 40 mins to go before the range would go cold again, I decided to give the 200 yd target a try just to see where I stood.  Nothing, no paper.  Not discouraged I decided to just wait it out and start at 100.  Got my target up and it was clean as well, the paper was a little dirty, but no holes.  Just to verify, I put two more rounds down range at 100 yds.  Paper was still clean.

Obviously I was pissed and went back to 25 yds.  Horizontally center and two inches high in a three shot group.  I went back to 100 and no joy again, not even an indicator on paper.  I let the barrel cool, gave it some time and repeated the 25 yd and 100yd with the same result.  I reset the scope to zero at 25, and got another nice group at 25yds, but when I went back to 100yds, still no paper.

Any suggestions?  I have questioned myself but while helping my brother in law sight in his Tikka at the same time, he was knocking spent shotgun shells off of the target frame after six rounds.  My Marlin 336 hits sub 2 inch groups at 100yds.  I would say possibly optics but I had 10+ rounds in a very small group, every time I went back to 25yds.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 15:42

Get a larger target at 100yds and walk it to the bull, not just a paper target, an old cardboard box  or a cardboard cut out. Shot in 3 shot groups to confirm consitancy, then adjust your scope as needed.  If you are grouping it could be somethings wrong.  ge

Kotcha View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 16:18

I definately will bring fresh cardboard, the piece I had was already riddled with holes.  That will definately help. W ithout fresh cardboard I could have been a few inches low and never knew.  Still I would have thought a target that was 18" x 36' should be plenty big.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 16:27
You want to be shooting low at 25 yards not high.  You are probably shooting clear over the paper.

Your scope sits higher on your gun than your barrel is.  So line of sight from your gun to paper your bullets should be hitting lower than where you are aiming.  Zeroing at a close distance like 25 yards the bullet is still traveling up in relation to your line of sight.  So if you are shooting 2 inches high at 25 yards the up angle of your barrel vs your sight will be very extreme.  If you zero at say 100 yards or 200 yards then your bullet will have already crossed your line of sight and will cross again at your zero when it again falls below your line of sight. 

At 25 yards if you are shooting a few inches high then you would be shooting way high at 100 and 200 yards.  So you are probably shooting clear over the target.  Try sighting in 1.5 to 2 inches low at 25 yards and it should get you on paper at 100.

That is why I hate sighting is at close distance.  Loco  it can be confusing  I just bore sight at 100 yards and it is much easier.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kotcha View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 16:31

Thanks for the advice guys, I will give it a try.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 16:46

Just doing some rough figuring (2600 fps velocity,.325 B.C.) sighted in  +2" at 25yds you'd be roughly +12.5" at 100yds so given your target size you should have been on it at 100yds.  Dead on at 25yds you should be maybe +2 1/4" at 100yds. 

Is your friends Tikka a .30-06? Let him try your ammo.
   Have you ever used that scope before?  Got a known reliable one?
   You haven't mentioned anything about the bbl'd action and stock.  Action screws tight?  Any
   excessive forend pressure?  Using a GOOD rest?

One more thing.  This past summer I ran into a bad box of .270 Remington ammo (bad per Remington. They even sent two freebie boxes).  Couldn't get his rifle sighted with the original ammo so I brought out a box of Winchester Super-X and had no problems then.

All this is just food for thought.  We gotta start somewhere.

Edited by 300S&W - August/29/2011 at 16:47
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Kotcha View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2011 at 10:28
Thanks for the inputs,

I will hit the range again this week and let everyone know where we stand
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2011 at 23:02
I would start with sighting low at 25 yards or just bore sight at 100 yards.  that is what I usually do anymore.  also check for pressure points on your barrel.  loose screws.  and such.  Also try different ammo.  Some 06s I have shot didn't like anything over 165 gr bullets.  Others loved the 180s. Just some things I would look for and try myself.  look forward to hearing the report.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2011 at 08:34
Have to agree some problem. But untill you can find the bullet holes we will never know. Get a clean board as big as you can find ( loosen your neighbours garage door or something) and then try it.
Should you see your first strike, even if it is way high, low or left, have at least one more shot without adjusting to see if the rifle/scope is actually holding it together.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic