OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Does FN still make the Model 70 Winchester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does FN still make the Model 70 Winchester
    Posted: September/06/2011 at 16:17
I called a local dealer today looking for a 7mm-08 Model 70 Winchester.I was told that Browning bought Winchester two years ago and has no association with FN.

Are these still the same quality guns that FN was making a few years ago? Did the dealer not have a clue or is this a different gun than what was available a few years ago?

I have read good reviews about the FN model 70's but can't find any good info less than 2 years old.I did find out that Winchester has discontinued the Featherweight Deluxe which was what I wanted.I may get the Featherweight model 70 but I want to make sure this is the quality gun I've been reading reviews about.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 18:46

The Belgian company (FN) still owns Browning/Winchester.  Although they did have some production/quality issues at the outset they've been resolved and are producing a top quality product.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 19:34
Having FN make the new mod 70 is the best thing that could have happened to them.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 20:12

They came REAL CLOSE to blowing it though.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 22:02
How?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 22:39

VERY UNREASONABLE production demands not to long after they started the plant up.  For a while quality was sub par as you may remember?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 23:01
No I didn't know that. Most of the guys who have been buying them have been reporting good things although I usually don't pay alot of attention to mod 70 gack. Good to know though.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 23:11

My SIL's dad worked for them for 40+ yrs.  Retired a yr ago this past March.  He was in charge of set up and production.  Stuck it out until HE was satisfied with the product.  He also had some dealings with Remington.  Seems they got rid of people who knew what they were doing.  Whacko
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 23:29
Probably got rid of the guy who couldn't weld on bolt handles right......Big Grin
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 23:37

LOL    Among others.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2011 at 10:04
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Probably got rid of the guy who couldn't weld on bolt handles right......Big Grin
Brazed?
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic